• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communism: Questions & Answers

Shrew

Well, thats something. I could have looked up your personal profile and I might have realised. I believe vienna was under soviet occupation at the end of world war II until 1955. Did you have family live there or something? I could certianly relate to that.
An aunt of mine came from Czechoslovakia.
But it was not that she had some horrible stories to tell or so.
It's more what I saw on television when I was a child.

Laika

Premium Member
An aunt of mine came from Czechoslovakia.
But it was not that she had some horrible stories to tell or so.
It's more what I saw on television when I was a child.

Fair enough. Communism is weird subject to talk about because people get very passionate and defensive about it (including myself) when we lack direct experience or alot of information. I can't say that most of the bad stuff said about it is wrong or didn't happen but it can tend to be "absolutised" into the only thing people think about it. It still retains the "enemy image" even after the end of the Cold War for alot of people.

Shrew

@Laika
Any suggestions what to read about Communism?
I often thought about reading Das Kapital by Marx but it is rather extensive and if I buy an abridged version I'm not sure how true to the original it is.

Laika

Premium Member
@Laika
Any suggestions what to read about Communism?
I often thought about reading Das Kapital by Marx but it is rather extensive and if I buy an abridged version I'm not sure how true to the original it is.

Yeah, I think Das Kapital is just cruel and unusal punishment. I still haven't read it. :D

I think Communism is best understood in terms of its history. Studying the theory is useful but you can miss a lot of the meaning of it unless you have a decent background knowledge. It would be like trying to explain Christianity or Islam without knowing their historical evolution as that shows why it changed as well as how.

I haven't read this book but Robert Service is a good author with a grasp on the subject. I have his biographies of Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky, and they are all very readable. So I would guess this would be a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comrades-Communism-History-Robert-Service/dp/0330439685

If you looking for something by a specifically marxist author explaining their ideas, just ask. I thought it would be better having a good outline rather than swamp you with stuff you may not want or need. :)

Shrew

I haven't read this book but Robert Service is a good author with a grasp on the subject. I have his biographies of Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky, and they are all very readable. So I would guess this would be a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comrades-Communism-History-Robert-Service/dp/0330439685

If you looking for something by a specifically marxist author explaining their ideas, just ask. I thought it would be better having a good outline rather than swamp you with stuff you may not want or need. :)
Thanks for the hint.
I will look around, perhaps I find some material in German.
For a beginning it is always better to read in one's native language. ;)

Kirran

Premium Member
The lasting historical impact of Communism was the transformation of the USSR from an agricultural society to an industrial superpower in the space of a generation. All communist countries in eastern Europe after world war II had economic growth. Communism provided a wide range of social services such as free education and health care, as well as a variety of cultural and scientific achievements.

Here are some examples of Anarchist Communist societies in the 20th century without dictators:
Revolutionary Catalonia - Wikipedia
Anarchist Aragon - Wikipedia
Free Territory - Wikipedia

Interesting that the anarchists have a much better record on this front than the vanguardists, hey? ;)

Laika

Premium Member
Interesting that the anarchists have a much better record on this front than the vanguardists, hey? ;)

Well it gave George Orwell a lot of good writing material. E.g. Homepage to Catalonia, animal farm and nineteen-eighty-four.

If nothing else we make good villains and nightmares about "reds under the bed". :D