• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communication

InChrist

Free4ever
I was thinking about some of the scriptures in the Bible related to communism, speech, etc. So what do you think, are there any benefits to these directives concerning our words and conversation?

Death and life are in the power of the tongue… Proverbs 18:21

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29

So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger…
James 1:19

Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. James 3:10

But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. Matthew 12:36

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3

SeekerM

I'm thinking prudence is required in speaking as in every other action, but if one is engaged in relating to the person addressed and in reasoning about the subject under discussion, the prudence of the speech takes care of itself. What do you think? I have also been ruing the fact that we have lost the art of reasoning together. It seems that questioning another's thinking is in itself offensive. Do you notice this?

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm thinking prudence is required in speaking as in every other action, but if one is engaged in relating to the person addressed and in reasoning about the subject under discussion, the prudence of the speech takes care of itself. What do you think? I have also been ruing the fact that we have lost the art of reasoning together. It seems that questioning another's thinking is in itself offensive. Do you notice this?
Thanks for your thoughts. I do think prudence is important and required in conversation. Yes, I’ve noticed that people, probably including myself, don’t reason at well, or listen.

SeekerM

Thanks for your thoughts. I do think prudence is important and required in conversation. Yes, I’ve noticed that people, probably including myself, don’t reason at well, or listen.
Tell me, were you posting those quotations about speaking to illustrate the importance of speech? I'm a believer in human communication as the way the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of the Christ, communicates in the world. The burden of the quotations seemed to me to be about using speech prudentially, as in less rather than more. But I like to think of speech as the tool of that fourth operation of Lonergan's--be responsible. Sort out all the conceptualizations, values, feelings, and perceptions, and utter meaningful words. I think it is too bad we are so afraid to speak for fear of being wrong!

SeekerM

I am a new member. You are a veteran member. Maybe you are saying that the subject of communication has been exhausted in previous posts? In Christ asked for reaction to some scripture quotations about speech. Your monk's statement from The Buddha is enlightening, but it is not the whole answer from my pov. If the subject has been covered already in one coherent swoop, please tell me where. Thanks.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I've written the book on making a career out of putting one's foot in one's mouth; I am a recovering "corruption speaker." I wholeheartedly champion the cause of good, honest, prejudice-free communication. It's a high bar to clear, but worth every effort.

SeekerM

The scripture quotations about speech are about the speaker choosing to speak. No doubt, we still have problems deciding when to speak and when to be still. I think, though, our contemporary concern is more about how our speech is going to affect the hearer. Isn't that what "foot in mouth" is about? We have a high value for not rocking the boat. I'm thinking that if the conversation partners begin with the same attitude, the attitude of questioners, foot in mouth does not happen. Both partners agree that they are exploring for truth, not that either of them has it to start with. Somehow the questioning attitude is harder to hold when the subject is religion. Does any one of you have a reasoning religious group?