• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College

Unedited

I'll be going off to college real soon here. :woohoo: Anyone who has 'been there, done that,' have any advice to impart upon me and any other members who may be leaving for college soon?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Unedited said:
I'll be going off to college real soon here. :woohoo: Anyone who has 'been there, done that,' have any advice to impart upon me and any other members who may be leaving for college soon?
from my experience...no matter how smashed you get the night before...go to class! IMPO just going to class gets you at least a C because you absorb the info regardless (at least i did:) and i was a hardcore partier)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Have lots of fun, but don't lose sight of the reason you're there (i.e. your studies). ;)

Do you have a major yet?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Yes
Get your self a TARGET.
If you don't aim at something The chances are you wont hit it.
You don't get to where you want to go by accident.

This is the same for every thing in life. Draw up a list of targets that lead to where you want to end up. Then go for it. It may not always be a straight line, so amend and get back on target.

The sooner you start the better. It is the only sure way to be successful

Terry

Unedited

Maize said:
Have lots of fun, but don't lose sight of the reason you're there (i.e. your studies). ;)

Do you have a major yet?
I haven't declared anything yet (and I'm not ready to). I'd like to take a few courses in what I'm interested in before I do, but definately something with language.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm real excited to leave. My goals first semester are: get good grades, do community service, and makes lots of friends. Nothing hard, but it'll get me on track for later on. I just have to make sure I don't spend time on RF instead of doing my homework. :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, that's a good plan to start with - I hope all goes the way you hope! And enjoy it! Life is all about experiences..........:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Good luck! I can't start college until spring because of my dang back. Study, study, study! :jiggy:

I just got out of college a few months ago, so I have a fresh perspective.

these next four years of your life are going to be lifechanging. your days will become chaotic, you will have nights to remember. You will discover alcohol. you will have nights you can't remember. These next four years will bring out the best in you and the worst in you. You will find love, lose it, find it again later. You will narrowly avoid trouble and get into a little of it yourself. You will discover pot. You will be exposed to ideas that you had never thought of before, and you will meet people who do not share your belief. Your understanding will change, and your beliefs may as well. If you aren't already certain what your goals are now, don't worry about it; they'll change half a dozen times. You'll find out which classes are easy, which lectures are a waste of time, which professors hand out grades, and which ones who will truly challenge you. Don't worry about your grades, let your parents to that. Study what you find interesting. Hopefully you will become involved in something bigger than yourself. You will discover your passions on your own terms, and you will find your limits. Appreciate these next four years, before you know it they'll be gone.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Make your schedule so that you have at least a one hour break for lunch and/or studying. You will have time to do some last minute test-cramming or homework then, and you will since you'll be stuck there at school anyway.

Plus, you can go have lunch with a friend if you want.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The english comp teacher I had let my get by with a C, even though I should have failed. No matter how hard you struggle, keep on struggling and hope your teacher notices it and has sympathy.

robtex

Veteran Member
The plan advice everyone else gave is great advice. The biggest transition most people make from high school to college is going from being regulated by their parents to self-regulation. This isn't an easy step to make so if you have time plan ahead. Get in the habit of planning your day week month and year.

Get up on your own with an alarm clock, go to bed on your own feed yourself and dress yourself. As rudimentary as this may sound so many kids I remember did not have the displine to do these things and didn't make the transition because of it.

While you are in school (and following all the great plan advice) have a job for part of your college career but not in the first year as that is a hard transition time. Graduating from college with no job experience means you will be playing catch-up to those who have.

Learn to read quickly and effectively. I knew so many people who could not read even 20 pages in a night and retain the info. None of those kind of people graduated. Unfortunetly if you don't read now you will be going in with a bigger load than alot of others. The best way to get better at reading is to read and if you are going in the fall where you are reading wise is probably where you are.

Block off time for study. Treat is like it was an extra class. If you are a morning person make some morning time, if you are an evening person make some evening time. The time you set aside for study should be about the same time everyday and only for emergencies should you alter it.

Tell us where you are going and what you plan to study? I wish the best for you.

Unedited

robtex said:
Block off time for study. Treat is like it was an extra class. If you are a morning person make some morning time, if you are an evening person make some evening time. The time you set aside for study should be about the same time everyday and only for emergencies should you alter it.
This is a great idea! It works especially nice with my schedule too!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One thing to try to do is be fimiliar with the format of the test you recieve. Some teachers will use the same format, leaving those who pick up on at an advantage, because they will know what to study for.