• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coconut Advice

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The three eyes will be under the long triangular hairy thing. Take your hammer, or better yet a really strong cleaver or piece of flat iron, and hit it on the largest girth part. Leave the 'end's on the end. Slowly turn it in your holding hand, and hit it quite hard along this latitude girth line. It should split cleanly in two pieces. This is how the temples split them and how you see them in pictures of Ganesha etc.

Kirran

Premium Member
The three eyes will be under the long triangular hairy thing. Take your hammer, or better yet a really strong cleaver or piece of flat iron, and hit it on the largest girth part. Leave the 'end's on the end. Slowly turn it in your holding hand, and hit it quite hard along this latitude girth line. It should split cleanly in two pieces. This is how the temples split them and how you see them in pictures of Ganesha etc.

I think I'd misunderstood the wikihow as to eye location.

Thanks very much, this should be feasible now.

Now I know that everybody will be worrying about this until they find out, so I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm definitely gonna go with the first method first, I feel I'd lose out on the milk the other way, which I'm hoping to use in a curry.

Although it is much more dramatic. Maybe I'll buy more coconuts.

Kinda looking forward to having a go at this.

We'll see if I like the taste of the meat.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You should see the guys on the side of the road open the green ones in India. Four chops with the machete, and he's got a perfect square hole on top. Our priests here do it to when they're being used for abhishekham. It's just a lot of practice, but still it's kind of funny watching people who've never done it before try.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That's too old for drinking. Just go outside and throw it hard at the footpath. It will crack.

Kirran

Premium Member
The suspense is over! Having found the holes, I managed to get into one, but neither of the others, due to lack of tools. Tried to knock my way around the centre, but that didn't get anywhere, so I ended up going with Bunyip's admittedly rather artless method and smashing it against the concrete in the back yard.

I couldn't have made it through this without you guys. We've all forged a real emotional bond through our solidarity in this dark and tumultuous time.

Wirey

Fartist
Find the point end. Strike it across the thick part of the top, about 1 inch below the top, with a rock. Use a slight chopping motion. Repeat 2,986,362 times. Give up and go buy coconut flavoured rum.

Kirran

Premium Member
Find the point end. Strike it across the thick part of the top, about 1 inch below the top, with a rock. Use a slight chopping motion. Repeat 2,986,362 times. Give up and go buy coconut flavoured rum.

I went on a journey reading this.

1) Oh, Wirey's commented. This should be surreal and inappropriate.
2) Oh, OK, fair enough, he's actually being sensible about this, this is helpful. I'm kind of let down.
3) Wait, no, it's still Wirey after all.