• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close Encounters Are Dangerous

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I've been doing some thinking about contact between humans and extra-terrestrials. About how it might occur and what might happen. And what some of the difficulties may be.

In this thread:

Aliens Using Zoom?

I discussed how beings from two different planets cannot interact face-to-face as each party would have their own microbes to which the other would have zero resistance

Meetings would have to take place via video conferencing, or with both parties separated by an air-tight screen

But there are other factors too - for instance the composition of atmospheres. An extra-terrestrial may need to breath a different combination of gasses than what we need as their home planets may have different atmospheres. We have no idea what extra-terrestrials are supposed to breath.

A treadmill on the international space station

Also, gravity is a factor. A being from a low-G world would be weighed down and crushed if he or she were to land on a planet with higher gravity. Also, people from a high-G world would have to constantly work out and exercise if they were in a low-G world, to prevent their muscles wasting away. That is why astronauts in the international space station spend so much time exercising.

Also, radiation may be a factor. For all we know, Planet Earth could be highly irradiated by most standards, and therefore hostile to visitors from other planets.

So, basically, contact with ET would have to be through some kind of video conferencing

A still from the 2006 film Arrival - hazmat suits!

If humans and aliens were to meet face-to-face then both parties would have to wear sealed space-suits for their own protection.

That is why the film ET is realistic - in it the eponymous character potters around planet Earth freely with no protective suit but soon falls ill and almost dies. Whilst all the government scientists who monitoring him are wearing hazmat suits. But I think it would have been better and more realsitic if ET would have given the boy who takes him in (I think he's called Elliot??) some horrible and incurable disease which he then spread to other humans.

ET unwell

And that is why Star Wars is unrealistic. Look at the Galactic Senate! All the delegations from every member planet all sit about in a big open-aired room, freely sharing the same atmosphere and freely sharing their own microbes. And that goes for Star Trek too - Humans, Vulcans, and Klingons all freely mix. I don't think that's realistic.

There are therefore many limitations that would prevent humans from directly encountering aliens.

But what about those people who are supposedly abducted? I think if they truly are abducted then the beings doing the abducting would be wearing the equivalent of hazmat suits.

Androids cannot catch diseases

Final thought: Androids. Perhaps androids could be used to interact with aliens?
Androids don't need an atmosphere and they cannot catch diseases.

This is from my website/blog
Click here to have a look!

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
While your point about the atmosphere and gravity are correct, the point about diseases is not.

There is no reason to think that alien organisms would be able to infect, digest, or otherwise bother us. Or vice versa. Instead, we would expect the biochemistry to be very different, probably composed of different amino acids, different nucleic acids, different lipids, etc. And those differences would mean neither would be able to interact biochemically with the other.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
While your point about the atmosphere and gravity are correct, the point about diseases is not.

There is no reason to think that alien organisms would be able to infect, digest, or otherwise bother us. Or vice versa. Instead, we would expect the biochemistry to be very different, probably composed of different amino acids, different nucleic acids, different lipids, etc. And those differences would mean neither would be able to interact biochemically with the other.
So, you'd volunteer to go into a small room containing two aliens whilst wearing no form of protection, to see what happens?

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
So, you'd volunteer to go into a small room containing two aliens whilst wearing no form of protection, to see what happens?

Like I said, atmosphere is an issue. But I would not be concerned about infection.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Like I said, atmosphere is an issue. But I would not be concerned about infection.
Well, it's good that there are people who are willing to do that

I most certainly would not want to be in proximity of an ET with no hazmat suit, atmosphere issues aside

...at least until some brave folk have tried and not died horrible deaths :D

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it's good that there are people who are willing to do that

I most certainly would not want to be in proximity of an ET with no hazmat suit, atmosphere issues aside

...at least until some brave folk have tried and not died horrible deaths :D

Think of it like this. A virus in another species is able to jump to humans only because we share many proteins with other species. The viruses bind to those proteins to actually infect the cells of our bodies.

For a species from another planet, it would be unlikely that the 'proteins' would even be made from the same amino acids. There would be literally nothing for the foreign viruses to bind to.

In the case of Europeans coming to the Americas, we had two populations of the same species, neither of which had been exposed to the diseases of the other. But those diseases could clearly infect our species.

For the same reasons, neither species would be edible to the other: our digestive enzymes simply wouldn't bind to the chemicals in their bodies. This, assuming that the other species is even water based.