• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate change Belief equal to religion says law.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Man wins in Appeal cout ruling, that his belief in Global warming is equivalent to a religious belief and is protected under the law.

What do others think?
Of course what ever you think it is still the Law.

His solicitor, Shah Qureshi, said: "Essentially what the judgment says is that a belief in man-made climate change and the alleged resulting moral imperative is capable of being a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by the 2003 religion or belief regulations."
Full Story
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Oxfordshire | Eco-employee wins bid to appeal

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's too bad the article doesn't explain in what way his views "amount to a philosophical belief."

Alceste

Vagabond
I think the heading of this thread is misleading. The regulations appear to grant philosophical beliefs the same legal protections against discrimination as religious beliefs (which is great!) That does not imply that climate change is a "religious" belief at all, or even that philosophical beliefs are synonymous with religious beliefs. It only implies all moral or ethical frameworks, regardless of their source, are afforded equal protection under the law.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think the heading of this thread is misleading. The regulations appear to grant philosophical beliefs the same legal protections against discrimination as religious beliefs (which is great!) That does not imply that climate change is a "religious" belief at all, or even that philosophical beliefs are synonymous with religious beliefs. It only implies all moral or ethical frameworks, regardless of their source, are afforded equal protection under the law.

The belief is "equivalent to" not the same as a religious Belief, and the law is now clear that such beliefs have equivalence under the same law.
The lower court had also said this, but the employer disagreed and had taken it to the appeal court.
The Appeal judges reasons will eventualy be published so that other cases can refer to it in future.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm pretty certain it would be the "Moral Imperitive" that would stem from the belief in global warming. That and said beliefs directly affect his lifestyle.
Wouldn't the philosophical belief then be the belief in moral imperative?