• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

clarification of overview

Corban

The overview posted by the administrator is a bit misleading, let me clear a few things up.

First the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints should not be associated with any of the churches that broke off from the original church. That would be similiar to saying the Lutherans and the Catholics are the same because the Lutherans broke off from the Catholics. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, is the only church that should be referred to when referring to "Mormons." To include any other groups that have broke off from this church or claim any foundation from this church is to bring in confusion and to dilute the pure truths of Christ's church.

For ease of writing I will refer to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, from here on as the Mormon church, with the understanding that this includes only the church founded by the Prophet Joseph Smith under the direction of Jesus Christ, and does not include any other groups irregardless of their relationship to this church.

The essential characteristic that sets this church apart from others is that it is founded upon Prophets and Apostles with Christ Himself as the chief cornerstone. The Church began with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ appearing to Joseph Smith, calling him as a prophet to restore the Church of Jesus Christ. The church did not begin because Joseph felt he had better interpretations of the Bible than others, it started because God spoke to Joseph and told him what to do. Unlike other churches founded by men and by the understanding of men, the Mormon church was founded by God. Through the direction of Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith organized the church, he called apostles to lead it, and there is still a prophet and twelve apostles that lead the church today under the direct revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ, this is His church, and He directs it.

Rex

Founder
Well this is a General Latter Day Saints forum.

Anyone could argue all of these belong with Latter Day Saints..
Thus why the thorough overview.

Latter Day Saint movement (Mormonism)
Aaronic Order
Church of Christ (Bickertonite)
Church of Christ (Cutlerite)
Church of Christ (Temple Lot)
Church of Christ with the Elijah Message
Church of Jesus Christ in Zion
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints*
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite)
Community of Christ**
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
New Covenant Church of God
Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Restoration Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Restored Church of Jesus Christ
Sons Aumen Israel
True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days

* The largest of these churches, headquarted in Salt Lake City, Utah, sometimes called the LDS Church; commonly, but incorrectly called the Mormon Church

** formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or RLDS Church

DeepShadow

White Crow
Yeah, I can see your point, Rex. After all, where are these folks supposed to go if not to this forum?

The problem is when we all start sharing ideas, and I say "Mormons" believe X and someone else says they believe Y. We are each just trying to represent our beliefs as best we can, but it can come across as misrepresenting someone else's beliefs.

I suppose we may just have to cross that bridge when we come to it, which may be a while, since many of the groups in you list are extremely small, two AFAIK don't let their members on the net, and one (Strangites) was completely extinct, last I checked.

If there are any members of these other groups on the board, I wecome them to this corner, but we all had better speak up and say which group we belong with, 'cause if we're all "Mormons," this will get confusing real quick.