• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Claims, Facts and Evidence

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
We all stand on the shoulders of previous great thinkers. E.g., few people truly understand how a computer works, but we have a ton of evidence that they do work, and we can predict how they work. We can see the results of our computers working, but we don't directly examine their deep, inner workings.

Yeah, so people experiencing the end results would be obvious proof.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
We all stand on the shoulders of previous great thinkers. E.g., few people truly understand how a computer works, but we have a ton of evidence that they do work, and we can predict how they work. We can see the results of our computers working, but we don't directly examine their deep, inner workings.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I had a conversation on this recently with someone conflating the Eiffel Tower and God. As in, why did I believe in the Eiffel Tower, but not God.
I went with...

"Touching it worked pretty well, but I was a 'believer' in it previously.
That belief didn't really impact on my life, and so it was more loosely examined than my beliefs in other areas. The reason for the belief was the enormous amount of data I had come across (without even trying) which showed the Eiffel Tower in a completely consistent manner, in the same location, with the same properties, appearing at the same time. Further, dependant on the exact timing of the evidence, there was consistency with the world around the Eiffel Tower as well."

To some extent, this seems consistent with what you guys are suggesting here. Multiple independent sources of information, cross-checked against each other.

Yes. Multiple sources of info cross examined, but also you bring out the interesting point of how a belief impacts our lives.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Multiple sources of info cross examined, but also you bring out the interesting point of how a belief impacts our lives.

Yes. I'm not really suggesting that impacts on a thing other than how much time and thought I'd expend on it, but some things I examine more closely than other things.