• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church Will Not Hold Gay Service

rocka21

Brother Rock
Just an off shoot of another thread.

I have been hearing all this stuff about how sick, and disguating the pastor of the dallas church who wouldn't hold the Gay mans funeral is.

my question.

do you think the family should have done some research on the beliefs of the church before trying to have his funeral there?

and for the record, i think it was wrong to say yes they would do it, and then no a day before.

Aqualung

Tasty
Yeah the family should have done some research. It may seem sick and disgusting that the church won't hold the funeral, but that is their perogative.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't have held the funeral. Do they refuse to hold funerals for all people they think are sinners? If so... they must not do funerals at all.

Even if the family had done research I don't think it would be reasonable to assume that because they think someone is a sinner they would refuse to hold a service for them.

Runt

It seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't have held the funeral. Do they refuse to hold funerals for all people they think are sinners? If so... they must not do funerals at all.

Even if the family had done research I don't think it would be reasonable to assume that because they think someone is a sinner they would refuse to hold a service for them.
Apparently some sinners are more deserving of funerals than others. :(

rocka21

Brother Rock

true.

but they do have the right to refuse the funeral for whatever reason.

As we know, the gay issue is a touchy subject ( no pun intended.....:drool: ).

so, they may have asked the church about the video, at the first meeting. i think the church had a problem with the video.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yeah the family should have done some research. It may seem sick and disgusting that the church won't hold the funeral, but that is their perogative.
Actually, I don't think it's "their prerogative." This is not "their" Church -- it's "Christ's" Church, and Christ is the Head. Therefore, it's Christ's prerogative what should and should not be done on his behalf. Christ didn't refrain from acknowledging the touch of the unclean woman -- he healed her. Christ touched lepers and ate with sinners. Since a funeral is, at its base, an acknowledgment of ultimate healing, who are we to refrain from touching an "untouchable" to bring about that ultimate healing???

This congregation's act was hypocritical and Pharisaical in the least and I respectfully submit that your affirmation that they can "do what they want" supports their heinous acts in the name of "Freedom of Worship."

It's not fine if they want to do it that way, because they represent not themselves, but Christ, who would never turn away a hurting person. It not only "seems" sick and disgusting, it is sick and disgusting for a church to act in any way other than with ingtegrity.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
What do you guys mean by the family doing research?

Research for what? :confused:

The brother was a member of the Church so it's not like the family didn't know. What am I missing here?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
so, they may have asked the church about the video, at the first meeting. i think the church had a problem with the video.
There was a video? This is the first I've heard about that. (Granted, I haven't been keeping up with this much.)

Did it have him and his partner in it or something?

Quiddity

This congregation's act was hypocritical and Pharisaical in the least and I respectfully submit that your affirmation that they can "do what they want" supports their heinous acts in the name of "Freedom of Worship."
How is it hypocritical?

rocka21

Brother Rock
Actually, I don't think it's "their prerogative." This is not "their" Church -- it's "Christ's" Church, and Christ is the Head. Therefore, it's Christ's prerogative what should and should not be done on his behalf. Christ didn't refrain from acknowledging the touch of the unclean woman -- he healed her. Christ touched lepers and ate with sinners. Since a funeral is, at its base, an acknowledgment of ultimate healing, who are we to refrain from touching an "untouchable" to bring about that ultimate healing???

It's not fine if they want to do it that way, because they represent not themselves, but Christ, who would never turn away a hurting person. It not only "seems" sick and disgusting, it is sick and disgusting for a church to act in any way other than with ingtegrity.

would you allow a gang member to have a funeral , and then show a video of his gang friends flashing gang signs , waving colors, drinking and cussing on the corner? wouldn't this be somehow condoing the actions?

rocka21

Brother Rock
What do you guys mean by the family doing research?

Research for what? :confused:

The brother was a member of the Church so it's not like the family didn't know. What am I missing here?

research to see if they could play the video at the church.

rocka21

Brother Rock
What would make them think the church would allow it? The brother, being a part of the church would have a clear glimpse in what that church teaches.

right, but yet the church is " sick".

Why not understand the doctrine of the church and ask questions before bringing some video the day before the funeral and then but them on the headlines as hate mongers?

just like i would not want my funeral in victors church and the day of , ask to play me and my friends at a PRO choice rally. i know its a cathloic church and they are great pro life supporters.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
would you allow a gang member to have a funeral , and then show a video of his gang friends flashing gang signs , waving colors, drinking and cussing on the corner? wouldn't this be somehow condoing the actions?

I don't think so. Gang members have funerals all the time, and I don't think they act like that. Besides, gay people attend funerals all the time. How do they "act gay"?

Quiddity

right, but yet the church is " sick".

Why not understand the doctrine of the church and ask questions before bringing some video the day before the funeral and then but them on the headlines as hate mongers?
I find it odd that the brother wasn't aware what the church he belongs to teaches. Especially regarding doctrine. It's not far fetched that the family may have just trusted the brother's judgement.
just like i would not want my funeral in victors church and the day of , ask to play me and my friends at a PRO choice rally. i know its a cathloic church and they are great pro life supporters.
In this case I agree, but like I said, the brother was already part of the congregation.

FatMan

I don't think so. Gang members have funerals all the time, and I don't think they act like that. Besides, gay people attend funerals all the time. How do they "act gay"?

there should be absolutely no gaity at a funeral.

Unless you're in New Orleans, of course:sorry1:

Runt

My understanding is the video did not show any "inappropriate" material. Yes, there was a picture of the man with his partner, but they weren't kissing or anything of the sort.

And let's not compare apples and oranges. Homosexuality and gang violence are not even close to being in the same boat.

rocka21

Brother Rock
I don't think so. Gang members have funerals all the time, and I don't think they act like that.

yeah, but not the video.

the church WAS going to do the funeral. remember?

How do they "act gay"?

see the LOGO channel! J/k

i think the church thought the video was condoning the " gay lifestyle".

rocka21

Brother Rock
My understanding is the video did not show any "inappropriate" material. Yes, there was a picture of the man with his partner, but they weren't kissing or anything of the sort.

And let's not compare apples and oranges. Homosexuality and gang violence are not even close to being in the same boat.

true.

the chruch was out of line. If you do a funeral, you have to let the family show its video.

and like you said , it was just a picture.

now if they were homosexual gang members then..........:eek: ( i would love to see that video!):snorkle:

Runt

true.

the chruch was out of line. If you do a funeral, you have to let the family show its video.

and like you said , it was just a picture.

now if they were homosexual gang members then..........:eek: ( i would love to see that video!):snorkle:
Magenta bandanas, fabulous bling and rainbow gang signs?:woohoo: