• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church=Saved?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Do you believe that you need to go to a church/ temple, etc, etc, to be saved? Comments from all religions welcome.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Go to heaven.
Edit: Usually with Christianity, you think of being saved as going to heaven. Other religions might call it something else.​

may

well the bible does say ..... he that has endured till the end is the one who will be saved

Jesus showed clearly that endurance would be required of God’s people in our day. In foretelling the sign of "the conclusion of the system of things," he said: "He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved." Endure while doing what? Jesus’ very next words answer: "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations." (Matthew 24:3, 13, 14) Only then ‘will the end come.’—See also Mark 13:10, 13; Luke 21:17-19. this is not the end of the planet but an end of a system of things,so it seems that to be saved it is and will be an endurance test
Revelation prophetically assures us that human flesh will live through this coming great tribulation. John foretold "a great crowd . . . out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." Who are they? A voice from heaven answers: "These are the ones that come out of the great tribulation." (Revelation 7:9, 14) Yes, they will be survivors! Revelation also offers us insight into how things will develop in the coming great tribulation and how Matthew 24:22 will be fulfilled

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
Go to heaven.
Edit: Usually with Christianity, you think of being saved as going to heaven. Other religions might call it something else.​
Well, LDS have kind of a different view of who goes to heaven than other relgions do. So I would say, No, you don't have to go to church to get to heaven. You would pretty much have to go to church to get exhalted in the highest degree, however.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jgallandt said:
Go to heaven.

Well, I don't believe in a "heaven" as in a place of reward like Christianity does, so I'd have to say no.

Popeyesays

Maize said:

Well, I don't believe in a "heaven" as in a place of reward like Christianity does, so I'd have to say no.
Neither do I. Heaven and hell are states of existence, not physical places. A soul can be in heaven or hell while the body breathes right here on earth.

Regards,
Scott

Todd

Rajun Cajun
jgallandt said:
Do you believe that you need to go to a church/ temple, etc, etc, to be saved? Comments from all religions welcome.
No, I do not believe that you have to go to church to be saved. My salvation is through Jesus Christ. My belief is that Church is for edification and fellowship, not for salvation.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Does it not also say in Matthew that where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name? So, if lets say you and a friend or 2 got together and worshiped, would that not constitute a church? Note: From what I understand, the word church was never written in the Bible, it's and English translation for assembly.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Todd said:
No, I do not believe that you have to go to church to be saved. My salvation is through Jesus Christ. My belief is that Church is for edification and fellowship, not for salvation.
I could not agree with you more. Karma shortly to you when I can give some more out.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Aqualung said:
Well, LDS have kind of a different view of who goes to heaven than other relgions do. So I would say, No, you don't have to go to church to get to heaven. You would pretty much have to go to church to get exhalted in the highest degree, however.
I don't wish to put words in your mouth, so forgive me if I have taken this wrong. You're saying not all will not be equal in heaven?

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
I don't wish to put words in your mouth, so forgive me if I have taken this wrong. You're saying not all will not be equal in heaven?
Ummm... we'll all be equal. But we won't all have equal rewards. We'll all be rewarded to how well we followed Christ's commandments, and some people just won't follow them as well. So WE will be equal (because we are all children of God, and God loves us all). Our rewards just won't be.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jgallandt said:
I could not agree with you more. Karma shortly to you when I can give some more out.
Did it for you; I agree. I do have a question mark in my head about "When there are two or more of you........." which you brought up Jeff.

Absurd or not ? - when I pray, I imagine myself to be amongst all the loved ones who have gone before; I pray with them..............very personal, I suppose, but it works for me.;)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Aqualung said:
Ummm... we'll all be equal. But we won't all have equal rewards. We'll all be rewarded to how well we followed Christ's commandments, and some people just won't follow them as well. So WE will be equal (because we are all children of God, and God loves us all). Our rewards just won't be.
I've read similar stories on line. Different parables in the Bible addressing such. But once again, it's subject to interpretation. :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
michel said:
Did it for you; I agree. I do have a question mark in my head about "When there are two or more of you........." which you brought up Jeff.

Absurd or not ? - when I pray, I imagine myself to be amongst all the loved ones who have gone before; I pray with them..............very personal, I suppose, but it works for me.;)
Thank you, michel! Todd got the better end of that deal! And not absurd. The Bible also tells us to pray in privite. Matthew 6:5

knightoftheking

going to an institution 's building will not save/convert anyone.

to be converted/saved is not: joining a church, obeying a pope, confessing ones sins to a man, doing penances, eating the host and then expelling it out into the draft, praying to dead saints ,praying to mary, expecting to be saved by any human including mary, water baptism, these are all works and we are saved by God's grace, upon our repenting of our unbelief of the Father in heaven and His Son whom he sent to save us.
John 8:24 "if you repent not that "I AM" you will die in your sins lost."

Smoke

Done here.
jgallandt said:
I probably don't even believe in the kind of salvation you're talking about, but I'd have to say No -- and it doesn't make any difference at all what you mean by "saved."

All in all, I think religion is more likely to have a negative effect on us than a positive effect; just look at some of the well-known religious people in the world today. There's nothing wrong with attending a church or temple as such, but you should be very careful about what kind of group you get involved with, if you choose to get involved with one at all.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Well, I would certainly not say that you have to go to church to be saved (in fact, I don't believe that you ever can be 'saved' until you're dead as it's an ongoing race from which you can fall away at any time), but I would say that it helps in all kinds of ways. The church should give you support when you falter or doubt and, to use our medical metaphor, it is the hospital in which you find the medicine for curing your spiritual afflictions. The path, then, is obviously going to be harder outside the church but salvation rests with God alone, whether you go to church frequently or rarely.

James