• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Church of Cyprus: God Would Never Let Coronavirus Spread via Communion"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"The Church of Cyprus, an independent Greek Orthodox church, has no intention to stop serving wine and wafers during communion despite the threat of the novel coronavirus. Even though the ritual requires contact with the same vessels, they’re not afraid because they insist God would never let the virus transmit that way.

So I guess that’s settled.

The Orthodox Times has the statement in English:

Regarding the offering of the Holy Communion, the position of the Church is known. The Holy Communion does not symbolize but it is the Body and Blood of Christ. It would be blasphemous to think that Christ’s Body and Blood could transmit any disease or virus. Based upon the centuries-old experience of Christianity, there is no evidence of such transmission. The priests who served in infectious diseases hospitals and administered the Holy Communion to those patients, in the end, received the remainder of the Divine Communion themselves by using the same spoon. No priest was infected in these cases.

One attends the sacrament of the Holy Communion with faith, which protects against all danger. Participation is voluntary. No one is forced. If some feel that they want to abstain from the sacrament in that time, they are free to do so."

source

So drink up
drinking-red-wine.gif

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
Interviewer to interviewee:
  • ‘What’s your name?’
Interviewee:
  • ‘Yeah, that’s right!’
Interviewer:
  • ‘Are you trying to be funny?’
Interviewer:
  • ‘No, really, Watts my name!’

Soapy

Trinity means Three...

Three is multiple...

Poly... is multiple

.: Trinity is Poly...

Soapy

‘Hear, O Israel, YHWH your God is your only God’

YHWH, our Almighty God, did not say he was many persons as one God. In fact YHWH did not even say he was ‘One God’... he never said such a term... he said he was the ‘ONLY GOD’ to be worshipped by the Israelites.

Yhwh said that worship was to HIM and HIM alone...

How and when do trinitarians WORSHIP all three of their ‘Rulers’... answer: ‘NEVER’!!

In fact, even Trinitarians worship ‘The Father’ ONLY - but then CLAIM that ‘worshipping one is worshipping all’...

Has anyone heard of ‘Holy Spirit Worshipping’?

Are there any example of Holy Spirit ‘worship’ in the scriptures? No, absolutely none!

Are there even any examples of worshipping Jesus Christ in the scriptures? No, absolutely none!

Jesus himself gave us the model prayer which expresses worship to the Father alone.

So, No, there are not three rulers as one God. Thus, trinity is false doctrine. It holds no water as basis for a truth to be called Theology... it can only be an Ideology!

A simple question.., but not a simple answer... at least not if you are seeking the TRUTHFUL ANSWER.

And that truth is that only the Father is YHWH ALMIGHTY GOD.

One God: One Ruler
Only God: Only Ruler

Now THAT is MONOTHEISM.

Shad

Veteran Member

"The Church of Cyprus, an independent Greek Orthodox church, has no intention to stop serving wine and wafers during communion despite the threat of the novel coronavirus. Even though the ritual requires contact with the same vessels, they’re not afraid because they insist God would never let the virus transmit that way.

Regarding the offering of the Holy Communion, the position of the Church is known. The Holy Communion does not symbolize but it is the Body and Blood of Christ. It would be blasphemous to think that Christ’s Body and Blood could transmit any disease or virus. Based upon the centuries-old experience of Christianity, there is no evidence of such transmission. The priests who served in infectious diseases hospitals and administered the Holy Communion to those patients, in the end, received the remainder of the Divine Communion themselves by using the same spoon. No priest was infected in these cases.

One attends the sacrament of the Holy Communion with faith, which protects against all danger. Participation is voluntary. No one is forced. If some feel that they want to abstain from the sacrament in that time, they are free to do so."

source

So drink up
drinking-red-wine.gif

More morons following bronze age babble instead of modern science.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

source

So drink up
drinking-red-wine.gif

That's right. Jesus cannot ever be contaminated with Cornavirus virus.

It's a miracle brought about by our blessed lady of the immaculate immunity in 1853 when she suddenly appeared to two young children in the cornfield.

Shad

Veteran Member
That's right. Jesus cannot ever be contaminated with Cornavirus virus.

It's a miracle brought about by our blessed lady of the immaculate immunity in 1853 when she suddenly appeared to two young children in the cornfield.

Sure worked for the Black Death... oh wait.

Shad

Veteran Member
I think it is an interesting experiment.
1) Now they take the chance to prove if God exists AND intervenes in the way they think
2) Much better than just talk without any proof
3) At least they are not hypocritical, that's good

I had a gluten allergy, and when in Church I really believed I was not going to get sick (1 gr of bread only). 2 weeks sick almost dying. 1 month after I was with my Master and He upped the game testing me, and gave me a full plate to eat. Before I told Him I want to fully surrender, so I decided to give it one more try. I did not get sick this time, and allergy is gone.

First I blamed Jesus for making me sick, but then I thought, no, it was a good lesson. I am free to test things out, but should not blame God if things go wrong (different than I expected/wished).

So, good on them for trying. But it can go wrong immensely. But that's life, sometimes you take risks. Life without risks is boring anyway.

The problem is they are being reckless by not isolating themselves from the general populations for their little faith experiment. If their silly test fails they could be infecting others. Your sugar allergy is not contiguous. You risk only yourself and the emotions of friends and family if you die. These morons risk other people's lives even if they survive.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The problem is they are being reckless by not isolating themselves from the general populations for their little faith experiment. If their silly test fails they could be infecting others. Your sugar allergy is not contiguous. You risk only yourself and the emotions of friends and family if you die. These morons risk other people's lives even if they survive.
You are very right there

I just thought, I better add something to it, and delete the other, because they should not misinterpret what I wrote.

I think it is an interesting experiment and it shows some guts:
a) Interesting, as we hopefully not, but probably (I have personal experience, that holy bread almost killed me) get some proof, that they were wrong in trusting God to safe them here. My Master taught us "common sense before divine sense", but I like to test what My Master says, so I can't stop others doing the same of course. But I would never risk the life of another, that is not good.
b) It does show guts too, as they not just preach this time, but put it in practice now. But still not good IMO what they do, as they risk the lives of others, which is very wrong IMO.

SO, above all it shows IMHO a lot of irresponsibility and it's IMO stupid to do it. Because you risk the lives of others as well. If you only like to risk your own life, who am I to stop you (I have done myself also, risking my own life), but in this case, it is plain irresponsible, as you risk lives of others. I am glad in Holland they take it serious and cancel all large meetings; Churches must stay closed if over 100 people.

IMO, it is better to stop schools also, until they are sure, it's safe to go to school, because of incubation time.

I had a personal experience, that Jesus did not safe me from getting sick by taking the holy bread.
So, I know as a fact, that what they do in the Church can go terribly wrong.

I had a gluten allergy, and when in Church I really believed I was not going to get sick (1 gr of bread only). 2 weeks sick almost dying. 1 month after, I was with my Master and He upped the game testing me, and gave me a full plate to eat. Before I told Him, I want to fully surrender, so I decided to give it one more try. I did not get sick this time, and allergy is gone now.

First I blamed Jesus for making me sick, but then I thought, no, it was a good lesson. I am free to test things out, but should not blame God if things go wrong (different than I expected/wished).

So, good on them for trying, BUT stupid also, as they risk life of others. As it can go wrong immensely.

In this context, I just checked and saw that Italy has immense numbers of death, except in the "Holy City", there is only 1. I did read that the Pope is very scared of pain a few years back, so my guess is, that the Pope is not taking the above advise, and won't advise this. Otherwise there would be plenty of cases in the "Holy City".

And in this case (telling people to go to Church) it can be even called guided murder maybe, if you steer people knowingly in the wrong way (reminds me of this Jones sect years ago), even by emotional blackmailing them, that if they do not trust God in this case, their faith is not good enough.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
In this context, I just checked and saw that Italy has immense numbers of death, except in the "Holy City", there is only 1. I did read that the Pope is very scared of pain a few years back, so my guess is, that the Pope is not taking the above advise, and won't advise this. Otherwise there would be plenty of cases in the "Holy City".

The Holy City is tiny and has a high level security which existed before any outbreak. It has very strict control of who goes where. Also keep in the public are not residents and Vatican City has a population of 1000 give or take a few.

And in this case (telling people to go to Church) it can be even called guided murder maybe, if you steer people knowingly in the wrong way (reminds me of this Jones sect years ago), even by emotional blackmailing them, that if they do not trust God in this case, their faith is not good enough.

Test your faith arguments are so often made in bad faith. Typically made to shame the target.

stvdv

Test your faith arguments are so often made in bad faith. Typically made to shame the target.
Thank you for reminding me of this bad habit. I will do my utmost best to stop it now.

Shad

Veteran Member
Thank you for reminding me of this bad habit. I will do my utmost best to stop it now.

I was not directing this at you but authority figures, as per this Church, putting forward test your faith arguments directed at their "flock". Hence use of target. If someone were to refuse communion due contamination it can be taken as a lack of faith instead of a different view point over what God will and will not do as intervention. It smack of faith healing blaming the subject or parents for the faith healing failure to actually heal.

Shad

Veteran Member

Do not get my wrong. If you want to test your faith in a way that carries no major risk for other people be my guest. Major risk being more than emotional harm to friends and family if harm comes to you. Let say an alcoholic converts to a religion that forbids such consumption. They are testing their faith against an addiction be it in social settings with other people drinking or just breaking drinking habits. I can relate to such a situation as resolve even within a faith context. That is different than ignoring basic hygiene of the last century or more.

stvdv

Do not get my wrong. If you want to test your faith in a way that carries no major risk for other people be my guest. Major risk being more than emotional harm to friends and family if harm comes to you. Let say an alcoholic converts to a religion that forbids such consumption. They are testing their faith against an addiction be it in social settings with other people drinking or just breaking drinking habits. I can relate to such a situation as resolve even within a faith context. That is different than ignoring basic hygiene of the last century or more.
Thank you for the clarifications. I understood you totally wrong, I thought you meant, that I was too harsh and critical on this Greek Christian Church

The example of alcohol is a good one, although any addiction is hard to overcome, so, if forbidden, breaking the habit can be out of fear or guilt. But when it's done out of love for God, I think it's a good influence of that religion. And probably when an alcoholic chooses that religion, it is because deep down he knows that this is good for him (and drinking excessive is bad for him).

This virus is a tough one though, especially when one is over 50 (I read that 80% of it's victims is over 50). It almost looks like the perfect solution to solve the overpopulation of the world, by "naturally" killing the elder people. And I read, that they expect it to return every year (around winter time). I better keep a wintersleep from now on (being 56).

Shad

Veteran Member
I thought you meant, that I was too harsh and critical on this Greek Christian Church

Nah considering I called them morons your points are tame.

The example of alcohol is a good one, although any addiction is hard to overcome, so, if forbidden, breaking the habit can be out of fear or guilt. But when it's done out of love for God, I think it's a good influence of that religion. And probably when an alcoholic chooses that religion, it is because deep down he knows that this is good for him (and drinking excessive is bad for him).

The example of conversion is genuine. Fear, guilt or love is not my point nor one I wish to address as I see fear and guilt being a major part of some religions/sects and their reward/punishment dynamics.

This virus is a tough one though, especially when one is over 50 (I read that 80% of it's victims is over 50). It almost looks like the perfect solution to solve the overpopulation of the world, by "naturally" killing the elder people. And I read, that they expect it to return every year (around winter time). I better keep a wintersleep from now on (being 56).

The age is 60 and higher. Preexisting conditions is the major factor as those tend to increase and are more often found in seniors. Those below 60 only comprise a small percentage combined while having an preexisting condition leading to death.

Viruses hit the weak and unhealthy hard which are typically the old and very young. It is just how nature works.

I would say more than return. There is no vaccine yet so there is no way to inoculate the global population. The impact and spread could be reduced in the first world and leading developing nations. However nations that are at bottom of the list are going to struggle thus become breeding grounds for the virus. The same pattern repeated with the flu even with flu vaccines. Also keep in mind north and south hemispheres related to seasons. The north's winter is the south's summer. The only saving grace is the fact that the south has far less landmass and population close to the poles. One can just travel to Chile during a north winter bring back the virus.

The best hope is a vaccine like various forms of flu. Containment and elimination are impossible at this point without one. Toss in human nature. The flip side of hoarders and those in a panic are those with a complete disregard like the NBA player that became infected. He tried to show how "tough" he was by touching as every reporter's mic in front of him and any reporter he could reach. I think he showed the same lack of foresight when he was infected in France. Toss in even national leaders are becoming infected while having protection such as full health coverage, layered security, structured events, etc.

stvdv

The age is 60 and higher.
In Italy they said that above 50 the chance to get the virus is higher (double the chance of below 50). But the older you get the higher the chance you die from it of course. Italy: Coronavirus cases distribution by age group 2020 | Statista

In Holland we have the iceman, who had himself injected with some virus (in laboratory) to prove he can kill the virus within 15 minutes if I recall correctly. He is 60 years old now. Would be something if he proves to kill Corona with his technique of breathing and meditation. Then I better follow this 2 week seminar with him:) (if we get it every year from now on). But so far, he has been the only one who managed to do this.
Research on 'Iceman' Wim Hof suggests it may be possible to influence autonomic nervous system and immune response

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

In Italy they said that above 50 the chance to get the virus is higher (double the chance of below 50). But the older you get the higher the chance you die from it of course. Italy: Coronavirus cases distribution by age group 2020 | Statista

In Holland we have the iceman, who had himself injected with some virus (in laboratory) to prove he can kill the virus within 15 minutes if I recall correctly. He is 60 years old now. Would be something if he proves to kill Corona with his technique of breathing and meditation. Then I better follow this 2 week seminar with him:) (if we get it every year from now on). But so far, he has been the only one who managed to do this.
Research on 'Iceman' Wim Hof suggests it may be possible to influence autonomic nervous system and immune response

From the first paragraph of the link:

'the investigators emphasize that so far, these results have only been obtained in a single individual. Therefore, they can not serve as scientific evidence for the hypothesis that the autonomic nervous system and the immune response can be influenced through concentration and meditation techniques.'