• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuang Tzu

Runt

"...There was one clerk who arrived late, sauntering in without the slightest haste. When he received his drawing panel, he did not look for a place in line, but went straight to his own quarters. The ruler sent someone to see what he was doing, and it was found that he had taken off his robes, stretched out his legs, and was sitting there naked. 'Very good,' said the ruler. 'This is a true artist!'"

How does this passage by Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu relate to Taoist belief?

I don't read chang tzu and this story seems pretty funny, but I can explain some things.

To begin with, true taoists don't have beliefs.

They don't think one way or another.

Truth cannot be manipulated or changed, beliefs can.

When the man went in to do art, he didn't act in a manner as if he was compelled.

He was natural - he went in and relaxed.

Relaxing is important because you limit outside influences so that you can be who you are.

Also, ignoring ying and yang, or the various manifestations of life shows mastery over the true nature of things.

So he wasn't only being a true 'Artist', he was a being of truth.

This is the universal nature of truth.

The Tao is truth by another name

d.

_______
Runt said:
he had taken off his robes, stretched out his legs, and was sitting there naked. 'Very good,' said the ruler. 'This is a true artist!'"
i used to do that
all the time;
it got me
arrested!

and the court
had never heard of
chuang tzu.

us taoists
sure
have a hard time
in the western
world. ;)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Runt said:
"...There was one clerk who arrived late, sauntering in without the slightest haste. When he received his drawing panel, he did not look for a place in line, but went straight to his own quarters. The ruler sent someone to see what he was doing, and it was found that he had taken off his robes, stretched out his legs, and was sitting there naked. 'Very good,' said the ruler. 'This is a true artist!'"

How does this passage by Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu relate to Taoist belief?
Because he was doing what came naturally to him as an artist ;)