• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians - Lent 2012

What are you doing most of during Lent?

• Giving up a pleasure i.e. no ice cream or FaceBook

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Taking on a burden i.e. exercise more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeking a new way to serve others i.e. volunteer

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other - describe in thread

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I was talking with a friend and the subject of religion came up. I noticed several fast food places advertising fish sandwiches and noted that one reason why was that many Catholics give up others meats for Lent. I mentioned that for Lent my wife & I were giving up dining out and taking up better exercise habits, and he asked if we had converted.:confused:

I am third generation Disciples of Christ, so this question puzzled me. After talking it seems that not all Christians 'participate" in Lenten activities, other than Mardi Gras.:woohoo:

So, if you're celebrating Easter as the resurrection of Jesus Christ, I'd like to know what you're doing to prepare during this Lenten Journey.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, I just got done doing some Mardi Gras celebrating, but I digress...

I take on additional bible study or reading a good, meaty book on theology during Lent. I also try to find a charity or some sort of service work that I can do as well. I used to give up something but it never seemed proactive enough for me - not that I couldn't stick to it, because I could - but because it just seemed not all that EDIFYING.

lunamoth

Will to love
I don't plan to give up or take on anything. I will aim for kenosis, peacefulness, non-anxiety. May read some Julian of Norwich and Rev . D. Tutu for inspiration.