• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Can faith be measured?

cfer

This is a question I keep looking for an answer to, but never seem satisfied with the ones I get. Is there a standard to let a person know when he or she has faith?

The reason I ask is because I feel that I WANT to believe, but never feel like I DO believe. Is there a point in my faith where I can say with any kind of assurity that I am a believer and that I will be saved and have everlasting life in Christ? My fiancee gets frustrated with me because of this question. To her you either believe or you don't.

The other reason I want to know is because we as Christians believe that God will hear and answer our prayers. The way I am feeling, I am not sure if my prayers are being answered. I realize that God answers them in His time and will give us what we need when we need it, but I also want to know if I have enough faith that He will be listening.

Or is it un-Christian to be thinking these thoughts and just goes to show I don't have enough faith?

Chris

Dadball

I don't know of any standards of measurable acheivement that pronounces you as a believerin the faith.. For me it was a sense of peace and joy, with a little bit of burden being lifted.

I have a couple of suggeststion.

Keep praying. God wants us to be in conversation with him. He answers our prayers. Plus you must have a little faith just to ask. You would not talk to the wall if you did not think it would help.

Solitude. How do you know if God has answered our prayers, we don't listen to what he's trying to tell us. Before or after prayer, give God you undivded attention. Clear your mind of all distraction, and put away your request, and see what God is saying to you. I had a business decsion to make, and I struggled for weeks. Early one morning, I prayed for guidance and peace. I sat quietly, and I felt this peace come over me. I heard, (unaudible) my name, and knew the direction God had led me.

Meditation/Study God speaks to us through scripture. Find a spot were you are not distracted, and you are comfortable. Clear your mind of all things, relax, and read a passage. Then meditate on what you have read. Ask God what is he trying to tell you. Let the words turn into the images God put to you to help you understand his will. Try John, I like John 5.

These are disciplines that help me when I feel disconnected with Christ.

There are other , fasting, simplicity, submission and service. You can find more information about these early church disiplines in Richard Foster's Celebration of Disipline

cfer

I would love to be able to clear my mind and just listen to God. Unfortunately, I have fallen into the trap that many of us do these days; I just pray really quickly and then move on. Our lives have gotten so busy that it is tough to carve out some time for God, when we know we shouldn't do that.

I'll give that a try. Even if it's just five minutes worth of time to sit and be quiet and listen, it would be worth it.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Chris

true blood

I might be sounding crazy but seriously, have you tried speaking in tongues? You're probably like, wtf, but to be honest its perfect prayer with God. Sure it seems crazy and silly but its the greatest way to strengthen your spirit and build up your faith. Just let your tongue babble out thoughtless sounds, perhaps to a tune you know. You may have prayers and needs you might be asking God when in reality God knows the wants and needs that you haven't even imagined yet.

Nicky_uk

I think this sounds familiar in the sense of when we first ask Jesus to be a part of our lives. We are not really sure at the time anything will happen, but soon enough, we have a knowledge of God. And its as tho our faith has been rewarded.

Faith can sometimes just be as simple as a choice. I choose to believe that when I speak to God, he hears me. When he answers, my faith has been rewarded.

I think sometimes we can get so wrapped up in something, its hard to see clearly. If you are struggling to believe that you believe, then you may not hear because you are so wrapped up in whether you believe or not. Make a choice to believe that God hears you when you speak to him and then wait for God's answer. Sometimes you need faith to believe it is infact God who has spoken to you. As you go on, you learn to recognise God's voice. Its the same in any relationship, it grows, and the more your relationship with God grows, the more you learn to recognise his voice. You are learning, don't try to run before you can walk and if you find something difficult, don't struggle with it. Be patient.

At least if you choose to believe God hears you, thats a start. I know that when you speak to God, he hears you, I know this, because I know God wouldn't ignore you. As you get to know God more, you will know he is not a God who would ignore you when you speak to him.

Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. So dont be discouraged in not believing in the big things just yet, its a process.

skyglass

cfer said:
This is a question I keep looking for an answer to, but never seem satisfied with the ones I get. Is there a standard to let a person know when he or she has faith?

The reason I ask is because I feel that I WANT to believe, but never feel like I DO believe. Is there a point in my faith where I can say with any kind of assurity that I am a believer and that I will be saved and have everlasting life in Christ? My fiancee gets frustrated with me because of this question. To her you either believe or you don't.

The other reason I want to know is because we as Christians believe that God will hear and answer our prayers. The way I am feeling, I am not sure if my prayers are being answered. I realize that God answers them in His time and will give us what we need when we need it, but I also want to know if I have enough faith that He will be listening.

Or is it un-Christian to be thinking these thoughts and just goes to show I don't have enough faith?

Chris
I am not your typical Christian, in fact I would not be classified as a Christian today. However, I started my walk with God as a Pentecostal Christian and my faith in God remains 100% . My faith has never wavered. Some of the things that I might say, most Christians probably wont agree with but they are according to my faith and experience.

I believe that signs will follow those have absolute faith in God. These signs are miraculous and once you have experienced them, you can always draw strength from them in the future.

Faith is an act. You must demonstrate to God that your faith is more than words. You must do something with it. If you believe that you should be like Jesus, then go out and do as Jesus did. Lay your hands on the sick, in the name of Jesus, and see what happens. It may or may not work but you will not know until you have tried. People may laugh at you but you would have performed an act of faith and it will get Gods attention.

Healing is not the only sign that you might experience. Do other things in faith and extraordinary signs will follow.

Be prepared to lose things. Your faith could cost you your home, car, job, family, friends etc. It depends how far you are prepared to go?

robtex

Veteran Member
I know this is same faith debates and I am an atheist but I wanted to throw out a generality if I may. When one says, "can faith be meaured" it is to me the same as saying "can faith be quantified." I am going to propose that if there is a set number of points that are tennets or cornerstones of the religion that can be numbered that is can be measured. ..Say for instance in Christianty..we make a list of:

1) Resurrection of Christ
2) Original Sin
3) 2nd comming
4) existance of heavn
5) existance of hell
6) genesis as describe in the Bible

ect ect..if you as a group could create a list of the tennets or core theories of your religion and those ideas are number say one through 10- or 20 than ones faith could be quantifed upon three things

1) which of the prescribed theories you accept
2) to what degree of probablity you accept that the indivdual proposed beliefs.
3) Where on an indexing scale can be used to how relevenat this idea is to the nature of the religion.

For instance, say the last supper made your list (and I am not suggesting it should I am trying to be as neutral as possible since I invaded your turf). It could be measured that the one either believes it did or did not happen and furthermore how many details are correct within the bible and than how important it is degree wise to the big piture of what Chrisitanity is.

The third one indexing qualifies the quantative idea as all the ideas are not realistcally equal in weight. For instance I am going to guess that by and large, the last supper is not as important to the religion of Christianity as the resurrection of Christ. But if not, by how many degrees? If each one is weighed in importance an index can be constructed of percents related to the agreed importance of the religion.

A tally can be run by taking each idea that you accept multiply it by the degree of which you accept it to and mulitply that number by the indexing factor (which is a percentage) assigned to it.

The toughest part, if you buy into this is deciding the core beliefs and their assigned values but the trade-off is the measurement of a pattern in the believers of a set faith.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Sure, faith can be measured and it's really not that hard.

Galations 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

If are producing these things, then God is in you and you are effective and productive.

No*s

Captain Obvious
cfer said:

Chris

Chris, only you can answer if you have faith, and you're the only one with the measuring cup. I would guess, though, that if you want to believe, you have doubts and do believe. To even desire Christianity, you must first put some credence in it. So, you seem to have some trust already :).

As for a point of assurity, I can't offer any. We aren't in the same Church to be sure...and I have my hands full managing my own destiny :).

Baerly

cfer said:

Chris

Chris,thank you for that sincere question. We learn in (James 2:18) that our faith is shown by our works. Our faith can be seen by all those people who are around us. We learn in (Mt 7:15-29) that we judge others by their works also.We use the bible as the standard according to (John 12:48) (Phil.2:5). It is best not to trust our feelings according to (Proverbs 14:12),There is a way which seems right to man but the end therof are the ways of death. (Rom. 15:4)teaches us to learn from the O.T. scriptures. Notice (Isa.8:20) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word,it is because there is no light in them. One must understand we are now under the New Testament Law according to Hebrews Chapters7,8,9,10. The bible tells us we have all that pertains to life and godliness within the bible (2Peter 1:3). Knowledge of the scriptures will push out doubt and fear. Just let me know if I can help. in love Baerly

Baerly

WE learn in (Romans 12:3) that God dealt to every man the measure of faith.

(Eph. 4:13-15) talks about our changing by faith through knowledge of the son of God,unto a perfect man,unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:.....Speaking the truth in love.
We look into the bible as our standard as if it was a mirror.We read the mind of Christ and we change into that image of Christ as best we can (2Cor.3:18) - in love Baerly

NetDoc said:
Sure, faith can be measured and it's really not that hard.

Galations 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

If are producing these things, then God is in you and you are effective and productive.

:yes: Ditto............

The only thing I would like to add is that.....No, it is not un Christian, as you put it, to have the kind of doubts and questions that you are experiencing. How about taking those thoughts and feelings to God rather than depending on any of our answers? Getting feedback is great. But at the end of the day, it is your relationship with God that matters. Keep praying and don't give up on that. He hears you. Anytime I've ever doubted that personally, somehow He has always made me aware that it was not Him who was not listening, it was me! One way I keep my prayer life healthy is by keeping a prayer journal. I write down my prayers just as I would speak them. Writing may help keep your mind focused.
Take care and may God bless you on your journey.

A

angellous_evangellous

You don't need much faith - it's the object of your faith that matters - in our case, Jesus Christ, Son of God. A little bit of leaven, as they say, works through the whole batch of dough.

shema

cfer said:

Chris
Yes we can measue faith, just like time, or money, or love, the answers are in many scriptures in the bible about the measure of faith, or how to grow faith. Faith cometh by hearing. and hearing the Word of God. as the more your faith grows, the more you will be able to acsess things of the Kingdom of Heaven.

athanasius

Can faith be measured?? Yes! But you need a ruler, a good ruler. Perhaps the one of the old wooden kind that the nuns used to use!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't think one can quantify faith -- but one can qualify faith. Asking "how much" is the wrong question to ask. If you do that, then faith isn't faith. It's mathematics...or accounting. Instead, faith must be measured in terms of the quality of life we receive from our faith.