• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians - Bible Interpretation

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Those who have ears to hear let them hear. No one has put forth a compelling argument that the churches of Christ or the churches of God are indeed "Protestant". Neither have they shown from Scriptures that the Catholic Church was the first century church. Have a great night all. This discussion has ceased being civil and I want no part of it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
NetDoc said:
Those who have ears to hear let them hear. No one has put forth a compelling argument that the churches of Christ or the churches of God are indeed "Protestant". Neither have they shown from Scriptures that the Catholic Church was the first century church. Have a great night all. This discussion has ceased being civil and I want no part of it.
From The Ecyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement, Eerdman's 2004:

When Alexander Campbell began his Christian Baptist series titled "A Restoration of the Ancient Order of Things" in February 1825, he acknowledged the debt that Christians had to all past reformers, including those of the Protestant Reformation...Nevertheless, Campbell saw his own reform efforts in some sense as a continuation of the Protestant Reformation -- perhaps a completion of it...He believed that too often, however, the Reformation had substituted one set of human opinions for another instead of actualizing Luther's principle of "The Bible alone" as the sole source of authority. The current efforts of his Movement were aimed at doing just that.

Though some in the Movement have been reluctant to label themselves Protestants, the Stone-Campbell Movement is in the direct lineage of the Protestant Reformation. Especially shaped by Reformed theology through its Presbyterian roots, the Movement also shares historical and theological traits with Anglican and Anabaptist forebears."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I find it strange that a church that places such a central emphasis on the Lord's Supper would endorse an article where the Supper is not even mentioned.

Be that as it may, I agree with the article as it speaks to Biblical interpretation, with the proviso that even the most earnest study of it can reveal only that Truth that the Bible reveals. We cannot read it an assume that it is revealing a Truth that it clearly is not revealing.