• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity: the Stockholm Syndrome Writ Large

pwfaith

I do not think that it is right to compare people's religion to a mental disorder. How would you like it if I did that with your beliefs?

I invite people to challenge my beliefs. If you're confident that your beliefs are sound and solid, then you should be able to refute criticism and scrutiny. If you're secure in your beliefs, then your emotions and ego wouldn't be so easily bruised.

Reminds me of when one of my kids comes to me and says "G told me I was stupid" While not nice, I remind them to think of how it made them feel to have someone call them stupid, so as they do not make anyone else feel that way and then I ask them "do YOU think you're stupid?" Generally "no" is answered back. "Well then, why do you care what they think, you know who you are and what you are capable of. Let them think what they will, deep down you know it's not true." :)

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
You care that much what a "perfect stranger" thinks of you? Hmmm :sarcastic

Are you seriously suggesting that I have to be emotionally invested in someone in order to be offended by hate or unjust accusations? Are you seriously suggesting that libel and slander should be perfectly legal and acceptable forms of behavior?

You can couch your arguments in a respectful manner without degrading the impact. And if you honestly expect other people to be respectful to you, then you can and should try to be respectful in turn.

I understand that this will not always happen. People make mistakes; people misinterpret other's intentions (happens a lot on the internet when tone of voice or facial cues are not present). But the point is to try and more often than not succeed because you are starting with the default position of respectful.

MTF

dust2dust

Father heathen has made a point. A valid point. A point so obvious that to deny it tells me that you have made up your mind and no longer listen to logic. I was watching a movie about the oppression of women in Afghanistan when this very thought entered my mind as well. The woman was crying. Asking God why her father, brothers, and husband were all killed. Then just as quickly thanked Him for the few morsels of food she was able to find. I couldn't help but notice the abundance of religion in prisons and other places of such hopelessness. Of course religion is not limited to this, ut in these circumstances it sure seems similar. In my experience, most people i meet call themselves Christians but rarely attend church, nor know much about it. Also in MY experience, the folks that are somewhat fanatical in their religion are the ones who preach and judge. As if they have quotas to fill at the Pearly Gates. I personally believe God is as man-made as the movie theater down the street is. If there were a god, there would be absolutely no doubt about it. I love a good debate. If ANY Christian can admit that there is nobody alive on Earth that KNOWS what lies beyond death, then we have a place to start. Anything short of that isnt fair because you have special powers.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I am only surprised you just realised this by yesterday :p

How much time you´d been in RF again? :D

edit: ah! old post xD

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Someone can be secure in their beliefs and have a sound ego and still be offended when insulted. If a perfect stranger walked up to me in the grocery store and for no apparent reason told me that I was a crass, credulous, disaffected loser with delusions of adequacy I wouldn't have to have any notions that the truth was being spoken to think that this person deserves a fist to the jaw.

People generally only take insults to heart and become angry when they are unsure of their position. It is easy to take offense when you are insecure.