• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity - questions

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Quick question, who are you Christians, no matter how much pride, faith or belief you have in your faith, to tell non-Christians what is the absolute truth, what they must do to feel happy, what they must do to feel good? You do realize there are people that don't feel callings from God as Christians even when they have sincerely done what you ask them to do. The fact of the matter is, people are different, as are their minds, especially important when you have the indecency to tell these people that what they are thinking is wrong merely because your holy book and your Godly conscience says they are wrong.

Seems to me you don't like thing different from you and accepting them would make you a terrible person. Would they really? Would looking at many Eastern faiths and how they see the divine as it relates to humanity be such a terrible thing? Would admitting that sin is bad, but not something to be condemned, but understood and confronted (as per Buddhism) be so terrible, or are you that afraid of change here?

Brenda

I am a Christian that does beleive the Bible to be God's word of Truth. I do not hate a person because they do not believe as I do. I do pray for them, just as I think other religions probably pray for those that do not believe as they do, and if they don't then I would have a problem of wondering why they didn't, if they believe they are right. The reason I tell others about my faith in Jesus is because I truly believe in Heaven and Hell and that we will go to one or the other afther this life is over on earth. If they believe they are right I would think that they would care enough to pray and tell others so they would not the consequences either. To talk about my heavenly Father and His Son Jesus and what they have done for me is just as someone talking about their faith in whomever they believe in. It is just that because that we believe that there is only one way to heaven that we are condemned so much. Persons of other beliefs condemn us for believing our way. Just as anyone believes their way. How many ways are there to heaven for you? Does your belief, believe that we are wrong? If they believe that we are wrong then they are as closed minded as most claim that we are. I can only offer to you that it is not a religion that I believe in. I believe in God, and His word. I don't believe God lies and if I believe that then His word is the truth and the whole truth to me. I don't know what it is to you, but if you don't believe it to be the truth, then I still do not put you on a hate list or a dislike list. I still love you in Christ. We may not like each others personlaties but that is a like or dislike against the way we do things. It is not a direct hit against the person. We all have sins. Just because you or I sin does not mean that we still cannot like each other as people also. We may get in a disagreement or get upset with each other sometimes but, it can be worked out. Just think of it in your own family and friends. Don't they upset you sometimes yet, you still love them. That is how it is within my heart for everyone, and only God has put that there in me. Some people hold grudges for the rest of thier lives if someone disagrees with them but that is not God's way. If He did this no one would make it to heaven. He would just zap us all to hell and be done with us. But, He is a forgiving God. The only thing in the Bible that He says we will not be forgiven for is the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. That is simply rejecting Him and His son. In His word, He tells us the only way to heaven. Now, it is up to us to beleive it or not. No one can force us to believe Him. Just as it is our decision to live our lives the way we do. We have the option to believe and do what we want to do, but their are consequences to all of our decisions. I for one would not want to force anyone to believe the way I do because a forced decision is no good. It has to be of our own free will. I pray that you understand what I am trying to say, as I am not trying to be condemning of anyone just helpful.
So, if you don't beleive the way I do, I still love you in Christ, but I believe if you are going to read on other eastern religions then you should read the Bible also and see. I have read on some of the other religions and with the Holy Spirit guiding me as I have read, I have not found them to be truth to me. I have talked to other people of other religions and the ones that I have talked to did not have the peace, love or forgiveness in their hearts that God has placed in mine. I have seen them in their unforgivness. They were quick to call names of people in thier sin. They turned on them and hurt a lot of people. That is one reason, one of the person's I know came back to Jesus, because she found them to be unforgiving and unloving. She said they were unlike Christian people that she knew that forgave and accepted her. They did not have an unconditional love about them, only conditional. If you did what they said to do then everything was ok. God's love forgives those that do wrong. This person had not even done anything to them either it was her past they were codemning her of and they continued to call her names, even though they claimed they loved her and said they forgave her, they didn't in their heart. Only to get what they wanted and then it was over and she was mud, or worse.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Brenda said:
I am a Christian that does beleive the Bible to be God's word of Truth. I do not hate a person because they do not believe as I do. I do pray for them, just as I think other religions probably pray for those that do not believe as they do, and if they don't then I would have a problem of wondering why they didn't, if they believe they are right. The reason I tell others about my faith in Jesus is because I truly believe in Heaven and Hell and that we will go to one or the other afther this life is over on earth. If they believe they are right I would think that they would care enough to pray and tell others so they would not the consequences either. To talk about my heavenly Father and His Son Jesus and what they have done for me is just as someone talking about their faith in whomever they believe in. It is just that because that we believe that there is only one way to heaven that we are condemned so much. Persons of other beliefs condemn us for believing our way. Just as anyone believes their way. How many ways are there to heaven for you? Does your belief, believe that we are wrong? If they believe that we are wrong then they are as closed minded as most claim that we are. I can only offer to you that it is not a religion that I believe in. I believe in God, and His word. I don't believe God lies and if I believe that then His word is the truth and the whole truth to me. I don't know what it is to you, but if you don't believe it to be the truth, then I still do not put you on a hate list or a dislike list. I still love you in Christ. We may not like each others personlaties but that is a like or dislike against the way we do things. It is not a direct hit against the person. We all have sins. Just because you or I sin does not mean that we still cannot like each other as people also. We may get in a disagreement or get upset with each other sometimes but, it can be worked out. Just think of it in your own family and friends. Don't they upset you sometimes yet, you still love them. That is how it is within my heart for everyone, and only God has put that there in me. Some people hold grudges for the rest of thier lives if someone disagrees with them but that is not God's way. If He did this no one would make it to heaven. He would just zap us all to hell and be done with us. But, He is a forgiving God. The only thing in the Bible that He says we will not be forgiven for is the blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. That is simply rejecting Him and His son. In His word, He tells us the only way to heaven. Now, it is up to us to beleive it or not. No one can force us to believe Him. Just as it is our decision to live our lives the way we do. We have the option to believe and do what we want to do, but their are consequences to all of our decisions. I for one would not want to force anyone to believe the way I do because a forced decision is no good. It has to be of our own free will. I pray that you understand what I am trying to say, as I am not trying to be condemning of anyone just helpful.
So, if you don't beleive the way I do, I still love you in Christ, but I believe if you are going to read on other eastern religions then you should read the Bible also and see. I have read on some of the other religions and with the Holy Spirit guiding me as I have read, I have not found them to be truth to me. I have talked to other people of other religions and the ones that I have talked to did not have the peace, love or forgiveness in their hearts that God has placed in mine. I have seen them in their unforgivness. They were quick to call names of people in thier sin. They turned on them and hurt a lot of people. That is one reason, one of the person's I know came back to Jesus, because she found them to be unforgiving and unloving. She said they were unlike Christian people that she knew that forgave and accepted her. They did not have an unconditional love about them, only conditional. If you did what they said to do then everything was ok. God's love forgives those that do wrong. This person had not even done anything to them either it was her past they were codemning her of and they continued to call her names, even though they claimed they loved her and said they forgave her, they didn't in their heart. Only to get what they wanted and then it was over and she was mud, or worse.
What a nice post, Brenda! If this is what we can expect from you in the future, I'm looking forward to hearing more.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
So just because you believe so strongly that the eastern faiths are wrong, you then think you can tell them they're wrong just because you believe so strongly in the bible? And no, Brenda, many other faiths just plain don't care if you believe in them completely or not, because they see that Christians and Buddhists, etc (Eastern faiths, etc.) have common grounds, and just because one doesn't believe in the Abrahamic God doesn't mean they are evil people out to condemn or collapse Christianity, because as you can see yourself, Christianity still has a practically Nazist influence (no offense intended there). So the reason why Christians seem to be so popular is by their doctrine of telling people, "Hey, God loves you, but you're not in Christ, so you're still wrong and God doesn't love you enough to put you in heaven yet, so do what I do, or you'll burn and suffer for all eternity."

A

angellous_evangellous

drummrguy14 said:
The last several years have found me searching for some kind of spiritual home...I was raised in a United Methodist house, and always loved going to church, but found that I never felt "whole" with what I was being taught...in recent months I have been struggling hard with where I "belong" spiritually...I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on:

(1) Is it possible to be a Christian but still be accepting of other beliefs/religions? How does one be "sure" in their own faith without being arrogant or condemning of other faiths?

(2) I know a lot of people who take the Bible as being 100% literal fact, rather than metaphorical with very significant meanings...and often, these people say that it is sinful to not believe God's word exactly as it is written. But, isn't it the meaning that is important, rather than the means by which a person understands it? I mean, no two people interpret things exactly the same...Does one's metaphorical interpretation of the Bible weaken one's relationship with God?

For example: I don't believe that Adam and Eve were once the only two people on Earth...I take that story to be a metaphor for each persons journey through life, as we travel from innocence into the realm of awakened morality and responsibilty...that we are all imperfect beings. But i still believe God is the Creator of the Universe...but becasue I don't believe the story of Adam and Eve to be historical fact, does that mean that I am going against what the Bible says, even though I still believe he is the Creator?

Thanks for your help
smile.gif
(1) If the other religion causes you to deny the Christian confession, then you cannot call yourself an orthodox Christian. It's like saying that you are a four sided triangle. Definitions are important, and a religion is defined by its creed.

Most Christians IMHO, if they truly believe that Christ affects their salvation, have no need to search anymore. That is, the search for religious significance begins and ends with belief in Christ, and one longs to only worship Christ.

(2) Biblical interpretation is a science that does not take everything literally. Some fundamentalists insist that you cannot be a Christian unless you interpret the Bible their way, and no one, and I mean no one takes the entire Bible literally. It's impossible.

The Genesis story is an ancient Hebrew myth. The name "Adam" means "dirt" because he was made from dirt in the story. "Eve" is also a symbolic name due to her role in the story. We cannot take the story seriously as a literal account - by taking it literally and recognizing the symbolic nature of only the names, we see that it is without question a myth. Add the talking animals and the prehistoric setting, and it is even more obvious.

Many people make assumptions and declarations about the Bible that have no clue what they are talking about.

soma

John Kuykendall
I just posted this else where but I feel it applies here also.
There inevitably comes a time when evil, the devil and matter fail as an answer to life’s problems. People intuitively know that God is one and that we are all united in pure consciousness; therefore, no one is left out of heaven, and everyone possess the inherent ability to discover God. No one needs to remain in evil and darkness, if one desires to find light and live in pure consciousness. When everything is seen as God, then there is nothing evil that can oppose God or divine consciousness. The devil cannot squelch, repeal or conceal pure consciousness just like we cannot stop the sun from rising; nothing has the power to stop pure consciousness in the individual mind. thinkunity.com