• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity, Faith, Denominations... What really does it all mean?

DeeEinstein

So, explain to me how it is that I being a Christian feel at times I really know so little about my own faith. Not until just recently when it was pointed out to me by a Jew that I find out there are actually books missing from the Bible. Come to find out depending on which source you get your information from that there could be anywhere close to 14 books that have been kept from actually being printed and inserted in what we as Christians center our life around. Who chose for these books to not be included? Why are these books even missing? Why is the one book written by a woman not available for us to read? I was reading a forum the other day that appeared to become pretty heated on people's opinions of what they feel faith and Christianity really is. It intrigued me that the one's making the post claimed to have mostly considered themselves spiritual and not religious but yet they appeared to know more about religion in general regardless as to which denomination more so than what I did. It posed curiosity in my thoughts as to how it is since my teenage years until now that I have sat on the pews on Wednesday nights, Sunday mornings, and again on Sunday nights and there has been so much still left undisclosed. I'll have to admit though, I don't claim to be a devout theologian but I find it a bit trivial as to how those that don't even attend church (regarding the one's from the before mentioned forum) know more about religious matters than I do. I read my Bible, I pray, I fast, and I partake in communion. However, honestly upon reading I have questions that arise which seem to always go unanswered. I find some of what it says to be a bit contradictory. However, I know I'm wrong for saying that because by what I've always been told... God is who and what He is therefore causing my perception to become contradictory within itself. I tend to approach the Bible with an analytical view point which at times makes it difficult then to just take it for what it says without trying to dissect it. Although, because of my approach it then does push me away at times which then I guess would make me a bit of a hypocrite. I believe what I believe though. I confess that I'm a Christian. I believe in the Trinity being that of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I don't believe it's wrong though to question my faith. I've attended a number of denominations such as Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ, Church of God (Pentecostal), Charismatic, as well as Missionary Baptist. I've pretty much settled my roots in the Pentecostal Church for now. I find it to be the most open minded denomination as it is that we believe in praying in tongues, raising of hands, anointing with oil, musical instruments, singing, shouting, laying of hands, and being slain in the Spirit. Although, if you were to ask me what denomination I belong to, I'll politely just respond that I'm a Christian and that's all you need to know. I don't find the labeling process all too impressive. As it is, we are all suppose to be unified as one Body of Christ. Therefore, declaring a denomination just labels me as it only gives you the basis of what that denomination limits the way of my worship. Being Pentecostal does not identify my intimate relationship with Christ no different than if I claimed to be Baptist. These are just man's ways of dividing the Church over all and saying ok, you Baptist go over here and worship this way and you Methodist go over there and worship another way. Why then do denominations even exist? Is it only to appease ourselves as to what form of comfort we desire in worshiping our Christ? Why do we separate ourselves and take what we choose from the Bible and some churches use oil while others may find it completely uncommon? I too had another issue that use to rub me raw until just recently when it was further explained. If Jesus was a Jew why then do we as Christians not follow the Jewish faith? Why do we believe in a man who is of an entirely different religion? Why is it that Jews then don't follow the Christian faith? As I've just found out, which I knew a little of, the Jewish sector only take from the Old Testament where as the Christians take from both the Old and the New. The Jewish only believe that Jesus was a Prophet (which He claimed to be) however, they do not take Him to be the Son of God. I find that to be a bit interesting. You would think that the Jews would believe in Jesus for just who He was. You would think they would believe in His whole entirety especially seeing as how they belong to the same group of people. The Jewish faith is an interesting one yet very complex and something that intrigues my interest. The more I read the more engrossed I become in finding out the basis of where our religion as Christians derived from. In my opinion, what better of a way to draw closer to Jesus than to study the faith He, Himself was birthed into.

tomspug

Absorbant
I would recommend formatting in the future, but I'd love to try and answer some of your questions!
Why then do denominations even exist?Is it only to appease ourselves as to what form of comfort we desire in worshiping our Christ?
Why do we separate ourselves and take what we choose from the Bible and some churches use oil while others may find it completely uncommon?
Humans are diverse, and I believe God intended it to be that way. However, I don't think we should be divided. We should be united in purpose but simultaneously delight in diversity.

I too had another issue that use to rub me raw until just recently when it was further explained. If Jesus was a Jew why then do we as Christians not follow the Jewish faith? Why do we believe in a man who is of an entirely different religion?
Paul addresses this. This is the whole discourse about circumcision. Paul's conclusion is that Gentiles should NOT adhere to Jewish customs, because they are sacred specifically in relation to Jewish history. The Jewish nation is not a metaphor for humanity, and as Gentiles we do not graft Judaism onto ourselves. Instead, it is WE who are grafted onto the vine, so to speak, through our acceptance of God.
Why is it that Jews then don't follow the Christian faith? As I've just found out, which I knew a little of, the Jewish sector only take from the Old Testament where as the Christians take from both the Old and the New. The Jewish only believe that Jesus was a Prophet (which He claimed to be) however, they do not take Him to be the Son of God. I find that to be a bit interesting.
This is only partly true. Most modern Jews do not accept Christ as the Messiah. However, there are plenty of what we call Messianic Jews, who continue to acknowledge their heritage while simultaneously accepting Christ as the Son of Man.

In my opinion, what better of a way to draw closer to Jesus than to study the faith He, Himself was birthed into.
Absolutely. In fact, you will find that many, many, many Christian leaders do this. In fact, it is one of the many reasons why most churches choose pastors with high-level biblical educations.

As far as the selection of Bible books... I am entirely ignorant of that subject. However, I know that some books (like Gospel of Thomas, Judas) are rejected because their authorship is entirely forged.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Darz

In my opinion, what better of a way to draw closer to Jesus than to study the faith He, Himself was birthed into.

If you are willing to read from academic authors that care more about history than upholding Christian theology, get ready for quite a spiritual journey.

Although not exclusively about Christian history, I would highly recommend reading "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong to start with. That will probably lead you in a certain direction.

Berachiah Ben Yisrael

So, explain to me how it is that I being a Christian feel at times I really know so little about my own faith....................... However, honestly upon reading I have questions that arise which seem to always go unanswered.......................

I once was as you, bouncing from one understanding to another, having my questions go unanswered. I searched out all things and kept that which I knew was true to the point I felt I had created my own religion. I thought I was alone in my beliefs until I found Sinaitism which showed me the true word and understanding of what was originally meant through the Sinaitic culture. I learned that even though there are many books that seem to have been written in antiquity we only really need to understand the ones we have from Genesis to Revelation. One has to understand the old before they can truly understand the new. I used to think that these missing books, spoken of , held some understanding that would somehow further my understanding of the books we have only to find that in many cases there were no cohesion with the text and that of the true word. It only left me with more unanswered questions. All in all, the answers laid in what I already possessed. All of your questions can be answered within what you already have and those questions that cannot are simply not important to your salvation. Case in point, which came first? The chicken or the egg? WHO CARES??? The answer will not open the gate for you to enter into that city. :)

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
So, explain to me how it is that I being a Christian feel at times I really know so little about my own faith. Not until just recently when it was pointed out to me by a Jew that I find out there are actually books missing from the Bible. Come to find out depending on which source you get your information from that there could be anywhere close to 14 books that have been kept from actually being printed and inserted in what we as Christians center our life around. Who chose for these books to not be included? Why are these books even missing? Why is the one book written by a woman not available for us to read? I was reading a forum the other day that appeared to become pretty heated on people's opinions of what they feel faith and Christianity really is. It intrigued me that the one's making the post claimed to have mostly considered themselves spiritual and not religious but yet they appeared to know more about religion in general regardless as to which denomination more so than what I did. It posed curiosity in my thoughts as to how it is since my teenage years until now that I have sat on the pews on Wednesday nights, Sunday mornings, and again on Sunday nights and there has been so much still left undisclosed. I'll have to admit though, I don't claim to be a devout theologian but I find it a bit trivial as to how those that don't even attend church (regarding the one's from the before mentioned forum) know more about religious matters than I do. I read my Bible, I pray, I fast, and I partake in communion. However, honestly upon reading I have questions that arise which seem to always go unanswered. I find some of what it says to be a bit contradictory. However, I know I'm wrong for saying that because by what I've always been told... God is who and what He is therefore causing my perception to become contradictory within itself. I tend to approach the Bible with an analytical view point which at times makes it difficult then to just take it for what it says without trying to dissect it. Although, because of my approach it then does push me away at times which then I guess would make me a bit of a hypocrite. I believe what I believe though. I confess that I'm a Christian. I believe in the Trinity being that of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I don't believe it's wrong though to question my faith. I've attended a number of denominations such as Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ, Church of God (Pentecostal), Charismatic, as well as Missionary Baptist. I've pretty much settled my roots in the Pentecostal Church for now. I find it to be the most open minded denomination as it is that we believe in praying in tongues, raising of hands, anointing with oil, musical instruments, singing, shouting, laying of hands, and being slain in the Spirit. Although, if you were to ask me what denomination I belong to, I'll politely just respond that I'm a Christian and that's all you need to know. I don't find the labeling process all too impressive. As it is, we are all suppose to be unified as one Body of Christ. Therefore, declaring a denomination just labels me as it only gives you the basis of what that denomination limits the way of my worship. Being Pentecostal does not identify my intimate relationship with Christ no different than if I claimed to be Baptist. These are just man's ways of dividing the Church over all and saying ok, you Baptist go over here and worship this way and you Methodist go over there and worship another way. Why then do denominations even exist? Is it only to appease ourselves as to what form of comfort we desire in worshiping our Christ? Why do we separate ourselves and take what we choose from the Bible and some churches use oil while others may find it completely uncommon? I too had another issue that use to rub me raw until just recently when it was further explained. If Jesus was a Jew why then do we as Christians not follow the Jewish faith? Why do we believe in a man who is of an entirely different religion? Why is it that Jews then don't follow the Christian faith? As I've just found out, which I knew a little of, the Jewish sector only take from the Old Testament where as the Christians take from both the Old and the New. The Jewish only believe that Jesus was a Prophet (which He claimed to be) however, they do not take Him to be the Son of God. I find that to be a bit interesting. You would think that the Jews would believe in Jesus for just who He was. You would think they would believe in His whole entirety especially seeing as how they belong to the same group of people. The Jewish faith is an interesting one yet very complex and something that intrigues my interest. The more I read the more engrossed I become in finding out the basis of where our religion as Christians derived from. In my opinion, what better of a way to draw closer to Jesus than to study the faith He, Himself was birthed into.

I asked these same questions myself nearly 8 years ago. I wanted to know what my faith really believed and why. I wanted to know how Judaism and modern christianity could be so different and separated. If you must go down this road be absolutely certain that you study BOTH religions and that you study both religions from the people who follow it. Don't study about Judaism from a christian but someone who follows Judaism (and no, not messianic judaism). Study christianity from a knowledgable christian in the same respect.

But you must be very careful. You must ask yourself if you prefer the truth no matter what the cost? Is family worth losing to know? Friends? Your church? I advise you just leave these huge towering questions alone and work on your simple faith and relationship with G-d. Pray to Him and ask where He would lead you.

Berachiah Ben Yisrael

I once was as you, bouncing from one understanding to another, having my questions go unanswered. I searched out all things and kept that which I knew was true to the point I felt I had created my own religion. I thought I was alone in my beliefs until I found Sinaitism which showed me the true word and understanding of what was originally meant through the Sinaitic culture. I learned that even though there are many books that seem to have been written in antiquity we only really need to understand the ones we have from Genesis to Revelation. One has to understand the old before they can truly understand the new. I used to think that these missing books, spoken of , held some understanding that would somehow further my understanding of the books we have only to find that in many cases there were no cohesion with the text and that of the true word. It only left me with more unanswered questions. All in all, the answers laid in what I already possessed. All of your questions can be answered within what you already have and those questions that cannot are simply not important to your salvation. Case in point, which came first? The chicken or the egg? WHO CARES??? The answer will not open the gate for you to enter into that city. :)

I just wanted to add that, for me, I got tired of the same ol', same ol', man made traditional religions and wanted more. I wanted to feel that man didn't have his nasty hands in it. Man does nothing but corrupt and destroy that which is true and right. I found that Yah did not mean for us to follow a bunch of he said she said traditional rules as to how one might think and feel something should be, or not be, done. He rather gave us a way of life to follow for our good. He created us and therefore knew what was best for us and so it was written down for us to rehearse and do as well as teach unto our children. He also gave us rules to go by as to how we are to treat him. Simply if one was to look at the 10 commandments we see that first and foremost we are to fear/reverence Yah. The first 4 commandments are to do with how he wants us to interact with him and not as the other nations have done unto their pagan deity’s. The last 6 has to do with how he wants us to treat each other. The 10 are like chapters in a book that have all kinds of precepts and rules to follow to be able to fulfill or do the statutes and ordinances, as well as knowing of, and how to perform, the judgments within the whole of the commandment. In any case, just remember that no one will be punished for what they do not know. Ignorance of the law is in effect. But once one becomes aware of that law then that one is fully responsible for it. I guess the question in your mind is do I accept that the laws of Yah are still in force other than those laws pertaining to sacrifice, for Yahshua is our priest and intercessor at this point and time, or do you believe man in that it is said by man that all the law was nailed to the stake? If you go with the latter then you should stay where you are in Christianity. I mean there are more than 22,000 different sects of Christianity and I am sure they have what you are looking for. But if you choose to accept that the laws of Yah are not grievous and are not to be a heavy laden yoke upon us, as Yahshua said, then I invite you to look into Sinaiticism but please, if you do, take a honest and sincere look and not just a glance. I know what it was like just glancing through life and only listening to what some man said behind a podium each week without being able to question what was being said. I assure you that your questions will be answered through Sinaiticism and the answers will not come from what some man thinks or feels but will be answered purely from a scriptural point of view………………….

2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of private interpretation.

Isa 28:10 For it is precept on precept, precept on precept; line on line, line on line; here a little, there a little.

…………………….This is how the word is to be taught and not by what man thinks or feels. Not by the traditions of any man/woman made religion but by the way of life that was revealed unto Adam from the beginning by his creator, Yah. :)

I at no time aimed to offend or hurt anyone with what I have stated and if I have I offer my sincere apologies.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
I Asked the same questions and a few others about 30 years ago and as a result became an Atheist for the next 20 years. I eventually returned to belief in God(swt), but not as a Christian.

We each need to search and question all things. We alone are responsible for what we believe and we alone will face the consequences of our beliefs.