• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and Buddhism teach the Same Truth: Thoughts?

Many Sages One Truth

There have been many books published on this subject, as I'm sure anyone who often frequents a bookstore knows. More and more books are being written by both Buddhist and Christian authors of the similarities between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha.

I have started this thread in order to discuss Jesus and Buddha's teachings and religions comparatively, to point out similarities, and differences, and to explore this subject deeper.

So I begin with the question: What do you think on this matter? Do Christianity and Buddhism teach the same truth, a similar truth, or are they paths to one goal, or do you believe they are totally opposite to each other?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If we're only going by Jesus's teachings and not the core beliefs themselves, then they can mesh, slightly. Aside from that, Buddhism teaches that only you can save yourself, there is no creator god, no one can "die for the sins of others", there is no soul, etc.

Many Sages One Truth

If we're only going by Jesus's teachings and not the core beliefs themselves, then they can mesh, slightly. Aside from that, Buddhism teaches that only you can save yourself, there is no creator god, no one can "die for the sins of others", there is no soul, etc.

You bring up a good point, however, I'd like to bring it back to a statement you made at the start of your post: going by Jesus teachings. Jesus himself never taught to believe in him for salvation, and in fact, the New Testament says to work out your own salvation.

Buddhism may not teach either way about a god, but it does teach that everything dependently-arising, meaning no physical phenomena has an independent existence, and Christianity teaches that God is the subtle essence behind physical existence.

Is this not different ways of approaching a similar truth?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You bring up a good point, however, I'd like to bring it back to a statement you made at the start of your post: going by Jesus teachings. Jesus himself never taught to believe in him for salvation, and in fact, the New Testament says to work out your own salvation.

Buddhism may not teach either way about a god, but it does teach that everything dependently-arising, meaning no physical phenomena has an independent existence, and Christianity teaches that God is the subtle essence behind physical existence.

Is this not different ways of approaching a similar truth?

I think you're stretching things. You're cherry picking Christianity and Buddhism to find similarities. If you set out with a bias in favor of finding similarities, you will certainly fulfill your bias.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I thought you were making a point about Jesus, not the Old Testament. My mistake.

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

Care to rephrase your statement?

Many Sages One Truth

I think you're stretching things. You're cherry picking Christianity and Buddhism to find similarities. If you set out with a bias in favor of finding similarities, you will certainly fulfill your bias.

If I am, I am certainly not the only one that does so, but that's neither here or there. The Dalai Lama and Thich Naht Hanh can certainly see the similarities, as they have written several books on the subject, but that's sidetracking a bit.

What is the difference if I say one reaches enlightenment by seeing the oneness of all things by seeing the inherent emptiness of physical phenomena, or if I say one reaches enlightenment by seeing the oneness of all things because God is the subtle essence behind everything?

Buddhism teaches everything dependently-arises, physical phenomena has no independent existence, and yet everything is somehow tied together in some unseen web of life.

Christianity again teaches that the physical world is dependent on something else to exist, that to rely on the carnal way of thinking and to observe only the physical appearance is folly.

They both stress the need to look at the inherent subtle essence behind life, and not life as it appears on the surface to the physical eyes.

Many Sages One Truth

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

1) Jesus was not necessarily making an exclusive statement here, but rather, speaking to the merit of his teaching, since the people he was addressing doubted him. Buddha also made a similar statement in the triple jewels: Your refuge is in the Buddha, and the Sangha, and in the Dharma- there is no other refuge. Yet you'd be hardpressed to find a Buddhist who argues this is an exclusive statement to Buddha alone being the way.

2) The Gospel of John is rather embelished a bit, and I doubt that Jesus actually said many of the things in it. We know it's not considered synoptic because of how much symbolism and mysticism it contains. John is better for teaching us about the Christian idea of who Jesus is, rather then who Jesus himself would have thought he was.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If I am, I am certainly not the only one that does so, but that's neither here or there. The Dalai Lama and Thich Naht Hanh can certainly see the similarities, as they have written several books on the subject, but that's sidetracking a bit.

What is the difference if I say one reaches enlightenment by seeing the oneness of all things by seeing the inherent emptiness of physical phenomena, or if I say one reaches enlightenment by seeing the oneness of all things because God is the subtle essence behind everything?

Buddhism teaches everything dependently-arises, physical phenomena has no independent existence, and yet everything is somehow tied together in some unseen web of life.

Christianity again teaches that the physical world is dependent on something else to exist, that to rely on the carnal way of thinking and to observe only the physical appearance is folly.

They both stress the need to look at the inherent subtle essence behind life, and not life as it appears on the surface to the physical eyes.
That's pretty vague.

1) Jesus was not necessarily making an exclusive statement here, but rather, speaking to the merit of his teaching, since the people he was addressing doubted him. Buddha also made a similar statement in the triple jewels: Your refuge is in the Buddha, and the Sangha, and in the Dharma- there is no other refuge. Yet you'd be hardpressed to find a Buddhist who argues this is an exclusive statement to Buddha alone being the way.

2) The Gospel of John is rather embelished a bit, and I doubt that Jesus actually said many of the things in it. We know it's not considered synoptic because of how much symbolism and mysticism it contains. John is better for teaching us about the Christian idea of who Jesus is, rather then who Jesus himself would have thought he was.

So, you're going to deny the credibility of the book AND still try to use it as evidence?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I would like to think that Buddhism and Christianity, amongst other religions, ultimately lead to the same Truth - but the terminology and language they use to explain it can be different according to people's understanding's, and the use of stories and explanations that they are familiar with to further the message.

Of course, there are difference in the various religions out there, and Buddhism and Christianity are no exception to that.

For one, Buddha discussed Indra, Brahmā, and many other Hindu devas. Jesus did not, because these were not known in the Middle Eastern world and would have been useless to talk about.

There are, of course, differences with both modern day, mainstream orthodox religious groups of Christianity and Buddhism. The modern, mainstream orthodoxy of Buddhism denies any concept of God, or of soul - whereas for Christianity it is the good old trinity and Heaven and Hell. Whether this is what they actually taught, though, is debatable - and this isn't a debate area. :)

Many Sages One Truth

Odion as for Christianity discussing heaven and hell, without making this a debate, a fair question- must heaven and hell be literal?

Jesus said the kingdom is within you. Many Christians believe that the kingdom is something we are called to draw out from within ourselves and put into practice, so that we can make the world better here and now. I assume hell could also be non-literal, and I certainly see it this way.

Many Sages One Truth

So, you're going to deny the credibility of the book AND still try to use it as evidence?

Is pointing out that the gospels are not eyewitness accounts denying their credibility? The gospels still contain non-literal truths and spiritual gems for us to grasp, rather they are literal events or not.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Odion as for Christianity discussing heaven and hell, without making this a debate, a fair question- must heaven and hell be literal?
That's a very good question. Personally, I do not believe that the concept of Hell as in a punishment-style afterlife is what the Bible teaches - but it's what the majority of Christians believe that I meant, as opposed to my own opinion. :)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
That's a very good question. Personally, I do not believe that the concept of Hell as in a punishment-style afterlife is what the Bible teaches - but it's what the majority of Christians believe that I meant, as opposed to my own opinion. :)
Most Christians don't believe it's literal anymore either, mainly due to the evolution of morality and the obvious injustice of eternal torture for finite crimes.

Many Sages One Truth

Well while I've brought up the idea of heaven and hell as not literal, and to compare Jesus and Buddha's teachings again. There is a place I believe that Jesus basically says the same thing that Buddha would say on detachment from materialism in different language.

It is what Jesus said to the rich man when he asked him what he was still lacking

Jesus said: "This one thing you still lack. Go and sell all you have and distribute it to the poor. Then you will have treasure in heaven, and come follow me." And the rich man went away sorrowful, for he had many possessions.

Many Sages One Truth

Most Christians don't believe it's literal anymore either, mainly due to the evolution of morality and the obvious injustice of eternal torture for finite crimes.

An argument can be made that Christianity has not ever universally believed in hell this way. Certainly some within the faith have espoused the idea, but then there is other views as well.

idea

Question Everything
There have been many books published on this subject, as I'm sure anyone who often frequents a bookstore knows. More and more books are being written by both Buddhist and Christian authors of the similarities between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha.

I have started this thread in order to discuss Jesus and Buddha's teachings and religions comparatively, to point out similarities, and differences, and to explore this subject deeper.

So I begin with the question: What do you think on this matter? Do Christianity and Buddhism teach the same truth, a similar truth, or are they paths to one goal, or do you believe they are totally opposite to each other?

I have learned a lot from Easten teachings - I love the poetry of their words, their teachings on being selfless and non-materialistic, on letting go of the ego - I think they are able to explain the core of these concepts much better than Christianity.

Here is a talk for you:
How Mormons Are Buddhists & Vice Versa | Mormon Matters

Matthew 10:39 - [H]e that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
The Bhagavad Gita – “Through selfless service, you will always be fruitful and find the fulfillment of your desires”: this is the promise of the Creator.
Matt 5:44 – less them that curse you, do good to them that hate you.
The Dhammapada – Let us live in joy, never hating those who hate us.
Mark 9:35 - If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
Tao Te Ching
– If the sage wants to be above the people, in his words, he must put himself below them; If he wishes to be before the people, in his person, he must stand behind them.

Matthew 7:3 – And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
The Dhammapada – Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.
Luke 6:38 - Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom.
Tao Te Ching – The sage does not hoard. The more he does for others, the more he has himself; The more he gives to others, the more his own bounty increases.
Proverbs 23:7 -For as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he.
The Dhammapada – [W]e become what we think.
John 14:15, 15:4,10 – If ye love me, keep my commandments. Abide in me . . . . If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love.
The Bhagavad Gita – [T]hose who worship me with love live in me, and I come to life in them.
Proverbs 15:1- A soft answer turneth away wrath.
The Dhammapada – Speak quietly to everyone, and they too will be gentle in their speech.
Luke 14:11 - For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Tao Te Ching – The unyielding and mighty shall be brought low; the soft, supple, and delicate will be set above.
Proverbs 16:32 -He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
The Dhammapada – One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men on the battlefield.
D&C 38:16 -. . . I am no respecter of persons.
The Bhagavad Gita – . . . none are less dear to me and none are more dear.
2 Nephi 26:22 – [Y]ea, and [the devil] leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.
The Dhammapada – Little by little a person becomes evil, as a water pot is filled by drops of water.
D&C 93:29 -Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.
The Bhagavad Gita – There never has been a time when you . . . have not existed, nor will there be a time when we will cease to exist. The body is mortal, but he who dwells in the body is immortal and immeasurable.
Mosiah 4:30 – f ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, . . . ye must perish.
The Dhammapada – Guard your thoughts, words, and deeds. These three disciplines will speed you along the path to pure wisdom.

obviously the message of Christ.
I believe that God rules the entire world and speaks to everyone.

On_a_Quest

I took a World Religions class recently and when we learned about Buddhism, I remembered many of the Buddha's teachings reminding me specifically of the teachings of Jesus. I will expand on my ideas later when I have the chance. Very interesting points of discussion!