• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: What Bible version does your church promote?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

If your church has pew Bibles, what version is it?

Does your pastor or leader promote a particular version over the others?

If so, why?

---

I promote the English Standard Version, and the church I attend happens to promote it because that's what they provide as pew Bibles (pew Bibles are Bibles that are available in public worship with a hymnal). I don't know why. I assume that the church leadership thinks that it is the best version available, which is the opinion that I hold.:D

jonny

King James Version for the LDS church. Probably because it is consistent with the quotes from the Book of Mormon and was the Bible that Joseph Smith worked with. They have also cross-referenced it with our other standard works so we're "locked in" to using it I guess.

In Germany they used the Einheitsuebersetzung.

linwood

angellous_evangellous said:
I promote the English Standard Version, and the church I attend happens to promote it because that's what they provide as pew Bibles (pew Bibles are Bibles that are available in public worship with a hymnal). I don't know why. I assume that the church leadership thinks that it is the best version available, which is the opinion that I hold.:D
I think this answers my earlier PM question to you.
:)
Why do you prefer the ESV?

A

angellous_evangellous

linwood said:
I think this answers my earlier PM question to you.
:)
Why do you prefer the ESV?
I like the ESV because it is a literal translation and a dynamic equivalence at the same time. In other words, I think that the translators were able to communicate in English many of the ideas present in the Greek and Hebrew. I don't know Hebrew very well, but what I saw of the ESV was very helpful. In Greek translation, the ESV is outstanding.

nutshell

jonny said:
King James Version for the LDS church. Probably because it is consistent with the quotes from the Book of Mormon and was the Bible that Joseph Smith worked with. They have also cross-referenced it with our other standard works so we're "locked in" to using it I guess.

In Germany they used the Einheitsuebersetzung.
LDS in Japan use a Japanese translation of the Einheitsuebersetzung.

A

angellous_evangellous

Wikipedia

Die Einheitsübersetzung ist eine ökumenische Bibelübersetzung (Altes und Neues Testament) ins Deutsche, die 1962-1980 von katholischen Theologen unter Beteiligung evangelischer Theologen erarbeitet wurde. Gemeinsam verantwortet waren das Neue Testament und die Psalmen. Eine gemeinsame Überarbeitung der ganzen Bibel scheiterte 2005 am Rückzug der evangelischen Seite.

My translation:

The Einheitsübersetzung is an ecumenical translation of the Bible (both Old and New Testaments) in German, the shared work of Catholic and Evangelical theologians. The New Testament and Psalms are compiled together. A complete revision of the entire Bible failed by the withdrawl of the evangelical side in 2005 (?).

jonny

Wikipedia

Die Einheitsübersetzung ist eine ökumenische Bibelübersetzung (Altes und Neues Testament) ins Deutsche, die 1962-1980 von katholischen Theologen unter Beteiligung evangelischer Theologen erarbeitet wurde. Gemeinsam verantwortet waren das Neue Testament und die Psalmen. Eine gemeinsame Überarbeitung der ganzen Bibel scheiterte 2005 am Rückzug der evangelischen Seite.
Shall I translate? :D

It's pretty much a translation that the Catholics and Lutherns got together and did. The LDS church uses it because Catholics and Protestants are accepting of the translation, which I found out was not the case with some of the other translations (For example, the Catholics did not like the Luther translation and would insist on looking up scriptures in their bible if you were using one).

A

angellous_evangellous

jonny said:
Shall I translate? :D

It's pretty much a translation that the Catholics and Lutherns got together and did. The LDS church uses it because Catholics and Protestants are accepting of the translation, which I found out was not the case with some of the other translations (For example, the Catholics did not like the Luther translation and would insist on looking up scriptures in their bible if you were using one).
Anyone is welcome to it. My German may be a bit rusty. :rolleyes:

anders

pew Bibles are Bibles that are available in public worship with a hymnal:D
In Sweden, Bibles are Bibles and hymnals are hymnals. I was aa Christian for some 50+ years, and I never saw any "Bibles that are available in public worship ". Our 1917 Bible, "approved by and ratified by the King", was the one, always used in worship, given at Confirmation, and even given as a study tool in school (we're here talking of the 1950's). Anyway, the 1917 draws heavily on Luther's work, as did the 1541 with the minor changers that made it the 1703, not too heavily modernized into the 1917. Our current Bibel 2000 is a major ecumenical scholarly effort, involving Christians, as well as not confessing poets, and Jewish scholars (they should know the OT - Jews wrote it) and whatever. There are also a number of less widely known translations, often pursuing an agenda, like a JW distortion, easily refuted by anyone having a mere hint of the (supposed) original languages.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
We don't really have a preferred Bible version in English as there isn't a good translation of the complete Orthodox Old Testament (which is the Septuagint). Even the RC translations, whilst using the Septuagint, don't contain all of the books. In Orthodox countries like Romania there are official versions but in English speaking countries most people seem to use the KJV or NKJV with Apocrypha as the closest available translations. This may well change when the complete Orthodox Study Bible comes out, as that will contain all the books in our OT canon. Unfortunately it's been delayed due to the illness of one of the translators.

James