• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Should the Bible be read literally?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I would like for CHRISTIANS to explain why they believe the Bible should or should not by read and applied literally.

Scott1

the Bible should or should not by read and applied literally.

In a word: no.

The senses of Scripture
115 According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.

116 The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: "All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal."83

117The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God's plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.

1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ's victory and also of Christian Baptism.84

2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written "for our instruction".85

3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, "leading"). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.86

118 A medieval couplet summarizes the significance of the four senses: The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith;The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny.87

119 "It is the task of exegetes to work, according to these rules, towards a better understanding and explanation of the meaning of Sacred Scripture in order that their research may help the Church to form a firmer judgement. For, of course, all that has been said about the manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgement of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God."88

Melody

Maize said:
I would like for CHRISTIANS to explain why they believe the Bible should or should not by read and applied literally.

From my experience, people who take the Bible literally do so in order to have a book of rules for living their life, but the rules they adopt are selective to support their view of what Christianity is (or should be) and they conveniently throw away the rest. While doing so, they overlook the true message of God about salvation.

I will admit to taking the New Testament a bit more literally and looking at it as a small slice of "history" but am still not sure I believe it was written without a bit of politicking.

DrM

I know of no one who takes the bible literally. There are always exceptions made when uncomfortable issues arise. For example, who do you know sells or gives away everything they own, pick up their cross and follow him daily? Most of the Christians I know hoard every nickel they can get their hands on.

It is a sin for women to cut their hair or pluck their eyebrows AND for them to speak in church. The list goes on and on but you see my point.

Mennonite and Amish are Christian. They are not literalists yet they would probably be closer than any fundamentalist I know.

So, even the biblical literalists AREN'T. They pick and choose, maybe less, than the rest of us but they do pick and choose.

Scott1

*** MOD POST ***

Just a reminder that this is the Same Faith Debate Forum. You'll notice that the threads here start with a title that defines who should post on that particular thread... in this case: Christian.

maggie2

I don't believe that the Bible is ever applied literally. When was the last time you saw a Christian following some of the rules in the Old Testament? When was the last time you saw women wearing head coverings in church? When was the last time you saw Christians washing the feet of other Christians? And on and on it goes.

I think that those people who think the Bible should be taken literally do so on a selective basis. They don't apply the literal rule across the board, just on things they want to apply it on.

I believe that the Bible is not meant to be taken literally. If it was we would spend our whole life trying to figure out all the complicated rules and regulations in it and would never get anything else done. I think that those who take the Bible literally do so because they, for some reason, need to live by some set of rigid rules to feel safe and secure. Those of us who don't have that need for false security don't need to believe that we are supposed to take the Bible literally. I really feel sorry for anyone who thinks that they must take the Bible literally because I think they are living in fear.

true blood

Maize said:
Kinda confused by the question...
Do I believe the bible contains the genuine words of God, literally? Yes, I do, but its requiring alot of study to filter out the interpretation and theology added by men. Anyone can pick up a bible and notice many kinds of figures of speech like simile, metaphors, personification, symbol, etc... I think the bible should be read and applied carefully, literally.

Scott1

chuck010342 said:
because its the Literal word of God
Literal?

Mark 10
21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Have you done so yet, and if not why?

DrM

SOGFPP said:
Literal?

Mark 10
21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

I have wondered this for years. Thank you!!

Doc

Space Chief
Sadly, in some cases people take some rules in the old Testament literally only to gain votes or social/political admiration/power. Yet they disregard everything else! I think this is tampering with Scripture. I quote scriptures occasionally usually against a rule or action taken by someone in the household that I feel contradicts their Christian beliefs. Occasionally revenge, or hate of some sort. Only to correct a wrong here and there! I am really looking forward to taking a whole semester of Old Testament in a few months. I am known for asking questions so I will have plenty for class. I look at Jesus' s teachings particularly because they are most realted with my Franciscan faith and also my inner faith.

Doc

Space Chief
SOGFPP said:
Mark 10

I have contemplated doing so! Money is not as important as it once was to me!

Anyway, since my main focus is on the Gospels, it is what I study the most! Most of Jesus's teachings are parrables but with careful study it can be determined whether to be taken literally or not! I told my friend once to take the log out of his eye before he criticized me and he said it was physically impossible to fit a log in his eye! I tried to explain it was a parable but he didn't get it! I think next time I will say to mend the flesh wound before he tends to my mosquito bite or something like that!

Doc

Space Chief
SOGFPP said:
Mark 10

No, but have considered doing so!

Since my main focus is living like Jesus, I have studied his parrables the most! If you look carefully, you can tell which are to be taken literally or not! Like taking the log out of your eye is just a special meaning and does not mean you have a log in your eye literally! I have told that to a friend and he says it is physically impossible! Believe it or not, at my Catholic School, I have been called strange and even weird for studying the Bible and reading ahead in my history book about philosophy! I guess it depends on the person and everyone is entitled to have their own interpratation of the Scriptures!

chuck010342

well the first thing we have to do witth any exergesis is to take the bible into context with the before and after verses. which catholics seem to have a hard time doing :)

22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Jesus is speaking to people who have great wealth. I don't have much wealth to give but even if I seen a poor man in need of food I will buy him some and give what little I have to help.

huajiro

chuck010342 said:
Jesus is speaking to people who have great wealth. I don't have much wealth to give but even if I seen a poor man in need of food I will buy him some and give what little I have to help.
Even if he doesn't believe in the "Bible"?

Remember that the Old Testament is the Old Law. Jesus taught of a new law that started with his sacrifice. The New Testament is filled with the things that every person must do to reach Heaven. 1. Believe 2. Repent of Sins 3. Confess Sins 4. Be Baptised 5. Obey the Gospel.

If all five are not followed then my belief is that you will not reach Heaven. Lots of people believe that all you have to do is believe in Jesus and be a good person. The Bible I read tells of these five steps constantly in the New Testament. Jesus gave us a new path for salvation. He shed his blood to give us that path. I pray that more people read the whole Bible and understand what has to be done. Everyone should feel obligated to reach salvation and it seems like a very strong majority have to desire to reach it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

much of it can be read literally because it is really a 'history' of mankind....specifically those of mankind who chose to be worshipers of the creator. The stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, Abel & Cain, Moses etc...these were not mere allegorical stories but were historical accounts.

there are some things that should not be taken literally though and they are symbolisms such as the tree of knowledge. The tree was simply a normal tree but it 'symbolized' Gods authority. When they ate from it they came out from under Gods authority and began to choose for themselves what was good and bad. so the tree didnt open their eyes to anything...in fact it closed their eyes to Gods morals and standards.

Learning what is literal and what is symbolism takes time and research...its not immediately apparent until you have gained enough understanding to know the difference.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The real question is, should christians, or anyone for that matter, grave dig threads that are almost 6 years old? Let's see what Jesus says.