• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Do Biases Play a Role?

I have recently been doing some thinking on subjectivity, interpretation, and overall just biases and what role they play in christianity. There are many different "flavors" of christianity today. Each claims to have special insight that makes them more divine than the other. Each flavor claims to have special interpretations that are more correct than the doctrine (read interpretations) of others. Everyone views their religion as being the best. Because of this bias the above claims are made. We each read doctrine and scripture based on our bias. Councils or boards for each religion are composed of people that do the same. All of which of course proclaim to be "inspired" to support their interpretations. As humans we function using personal viewpoints that make us inherently biased toward what we have experienced and found favorable.

My questions are thus:
  1. Do biases play a key role in the confusion that is christianity?
  2. Is there anyway to reduce the biased interpretations and get to the most undisputed level of christianity? ( i think i have come up with a basic level, but it could just be my own bias working :rolleyes:)
  3. Does it really matter if the confusion of christianity could be reduced to a basic level? Would it impact anyone in a way that would reduce the confusion overall or would christianity just stay the maelstrom of conflicting views it is now?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some good and difficult questions there.
I will have to think on them before trying to answer.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Searcher of Light said:
I have recently been doing some thinking on subjectivity, interpretation, and overall just biases and what role they play in christianity. There are many different "flavors" of christianity today. Each claims to have special insight that makes them more divine than the other. Each flavor claims to have special interpretations that are more correct than the doctrine (read interpretations) of others. Everyone views their religion as being the best. Because of this bias the above claims are made. We each read doctrine and scripture based on our bias. Councils or boards for each religion are composed of people that do the same. All of which of course proclaim to be "inspired" to support their interpretations. As humans we function using personal viewpoints that make us inherently biased toward what we have experienced and found favorable.

My questions are thus:
  1. Do biases play a key role in the confusion that is christianity?
  2. Is there anyway to reduce the biased interpretations and get to the most undisputed level of christianity? ( i think i have come up with a basic level, but it could just be my own bias working :rolleyes:)
  3. Does it really matter if the confusion of christianity could be reduced to a basic level? Would it impact anyone in a way that would reduce the confusion overall or would christianity just stay the maelstrom of conflicting views it is now?
1. Yes, I think so.
2. I doubt it.
3. Not as far as I am concerned.......

I must be one of the most 'libral Christians' there is; some would probably say I am a 'bad' Christian; if that is so, then so be it.

My concept of Christianity is trying to do 'what would please God' and to try and concentrate on Love. Perhaps that is not enough, but It is, I believe, what is important.