• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

christian: building churches versus visiting other peoples meeting places

t3gah

Like my other thread there is a question that building or buying a church/meeting place is a major sin because Jesus didn't command anyone to build/buy any. But is that so? What of the words that Jesus himself spoke that state that "all things were created for Jesus and through Jesus"?! For me it means that people who are christians are supposed to speak about god of the bible where ever they are including other peoples religious meeting places no matter what religion they are. And then there's the question of which one is truly the place for god which I think Jesus himself answered in the book of Colossians, 1:16 is the chapter and verse, I think or maybe it's in the book of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Is it OK to build meeting places for christians? Yes.

Baerly

What I think your asking about is expedients. Is a building and expedient or not. Expedients are things needful to get a certain job done. In (Mt.28:19,20)Jesus told man to:
1. go
2. teach
3.Baptize
4.teach them to observe whatsoever I have commanded you

1. Now we can walk,ride,fly to accomplish #1 because Jesus did not specify how he wanted us to GO. Any way we decide to get the job done would be ok with Jesus.

2. We must teach or be about somehow helping to get the gospel message out to others.We can give of our money,help distribute tracts with our car,or invite people to church services,preach,etc. These are all ways of doing what the Lord says to do. we can do it about any way we want because Jesus did not specify HOW he want us to get the message out to the masses.

3. Here we have Jesus telling us to baptize people. We learn HOW to baptize in
(Acts 8:35-39). It must be done in water,there must be enough water to be buried (Rom.6:4). We learn water baptism is for the forgiveness of our sins (Acts 2:38 ;3:19 ; 22:16). We learn water baptism puts us INTO Christ (Gal.3:27). Until we are baptized in water we are outside of Christ and lost (Rom 3:23) (1John 3:4) (Isaiah 59:1,2). We learn that as we are baptized in water God washes away our sins (Col.2:12) (Titus 3:5). We learn that Baptism SAVES (1Peter 3:21). This means before we are baptized in water we had to be lost. We are baptized into the church (1Cor.12:13). What ever we teach must harmonize with these verses because the apostle Paul said that the things I write to you are the commandments of the Lord (1Cor.14:37). We surely want to harmonize with the words of Jesus when we teach others the gospel of the bible (1Cor.1:10).

4. We must teach whatever Jesus said and taught. We cannot be teaching things which oppose the words of Jesus and be pleasing to him (1Tim.1:3) (1Thess.4:1). We are bound to the words of Jesus because that is what he has stipulated (John 12:48).

Notice in # 1 an expedient could be a car or a plane. #2 is similar to the first in that there are many ways to teach and get the message out. Since the Lord did not say HOW to do it we are free to do it the best way we can. #3 is different in that we must teach the same doctrine that Jeus taught. Within number three we are bound to only the words of Jesus being taught to others.That is what we must teach (1Tim.1:3) (1Cor.4:6) (Rev.22:18,19) (Deut.4:2). We are limited by the words of God as to what we can teach. We must teach what we find in the bible (1Peter 4:11). # 4 is like number three,again we are bound to teach only the wrods of Jesus and no other doctrine (1Tim.1:3).

So in fact a building would be an expedient,needful and according to the will of the Lord. Noah was able to use anything he needed to get the ark built. He got that authority when the Lord told him to build it. There were certain stipulations which the Lord gave about building the ark and Noah had to follow those exactly as the Lord commanded. in love Baerly

Smoke

Done here.
t3gah said:
What of the words that Jesus himself spoke that state that "all things were created for Jesus and through Jesus"?!

t3gah said:
And then there's the question of which one is truly the place for god which I think Jesus himself answered in the book of Colossians, 1:16 is the chapter and verse, I think or maybe it's in the book of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.

Can you show from the scriptures that "Jesus himself" said either of those things?