• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China top executioner in the world according to Amnesty International

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘China is still the most “prolific” executioner in the world, even though the number of executions worldwide reached its lowest level in a decade last year, according to an annual report by human rights organization Amnesty International published Tuesday (April 21).

Official figures were not available for China because the numbers remain classified, though Amnesty believes executions run in the thousands. The global trend saw the total figure fall by 5 percent in 2019, though a number of Middle Eastern countries showed the opposite.’

Read more here: China top executioner in the world: Amnesty I... | Taiwan News

Notanumber

A Free Man
‘China is still the most “prolific” executioner in the world, even though the number of executions worldwide reached its lowest level in a decade last year, according to an annual report by human rights organization Amnesty International published Tuesday (April 21).

Official figures were not available for China because the numbers remain classified, though Amnesty believes executions run in the thousands. The global trend saw the total figure fall by 5 percent in 2019, though a number of Middle Eastern countries showed the opposite.’

Read more here: China top executioner in the world: Amnesty I... | Taiwan News

A good number of those will have been punished for the crime of speaking their minds.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Unlike the USA capital punishment in china is a cost effective and permanent punishment. It is performed quickly and with out long and costly court proceedings.
It is used for everything from the elimination of corrupt billionaires, administrators and politicians. to public disorder offences. It seems to be used as a final catch all for anyone working against the interests of China.

Like all law enforcement everywhere. it is used as much for deterrence as for punishment.
It is one of the few punishment that has a pay back... organ donation.

While I find the death penalty abhorrent, I can not deny that it is highly effective in keeping control, in such a populous and diverse country.
Since time immemorial Chinese rulers have understood that a small degree of corruption and embezzlement is not only inevitable, but also desirable, because it also increased efficiency.
For an official to get away with either, they must be highly cost effective in carrying out their duties. it is only when they exceed expectations that they can siphon off from the top, with out much fear of discovery.
Fear of discovery keeps this in bounds. Those that fail to moderate their greed are immediately for the chop... in the past this included their immediate family... but to day perhaps not.
The same principal is true today for the control of corrupt Industrialists, ministers and right down to local junior officials and petty criminals.

While the President/chairman him self, might be appointed for life.... that does not necessarily mean a natural life span. China has a way of protecting itself from anything and anyone, when necessary.

Is any of this moral?

Few might agree that it is, but does it work? It always has..... so it is unlikely to be changed just because of world opinion... especially when corruption and criminality is rife from top to bottom of world society, and totally out of control.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Like all law enforcement everywhere. it is used as much for deterrence as for punishment.

Looking at a neutral source, there is no evidence that deterrence works or does not work Does the Death Penalty Deter Crime? | Department of Criminology

It is one of the few punishment that has a pay back... organ donation.

You ran a red light? Too bad, your penalty is the organ banks. This dystopia was explored by Larry Niven where to get enough organs ever more crimes had the punishment of organ harvesting for the organ banks.

This is not the world I want to live in.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Looking at a neutral source, there is no evidence that deterrence works or does not work Does the Death Penalty Deter Crime? | Department of Criminology

You ran a red light? Too bad, your penalty is the organ banks. This dystopia was explored by Larry Niven where to get enough organs ever more crimes had the punishment of organ harvesting for the organ banks.

This is not the world I want to live in.

I would agree that the severity of the punishment shows little if any reduction in crime.
However the certainty of being caught does.
I have no idea how much the thought of having your organs taken when executed affects deterrent. But some societies have as horror of being buried incomplete.

China may do it simply not to waste viable organs. The executed have no further use for them.