• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Childhood Trauma and Psychosis

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
New Study Finds Connection Between Childhood Trauma and Psychosis

“Early adversity such as childhood neglect (CN) or abuse is associated with an increased risk of a range of mental health issues including psychosis… early adversity was strongly associated with increased risk for psychosis and that people with schizophrenia are 2.72 times more likely to have experienced adverse childhood events than healthy individuals. Evidence supports a causal role as longitudinal studies indicate early adversity precedes the onset of psychosis.”

Misunderstood

Not sure if you wanted a response to this or just wanted to post it for others to see. I also know mental illness is kind of a taboo field with many conflicting views. I quickly looked over what you posted but did not read to the end or look into any of the supporting sources for the article. So my views here are my own without a full understanding of what the authors intended.

I do believe in early intervention when child abuse or neglect is suspected, but I feel any mental heath issues should be dealt with at some level as early as possible for the child to survive and deal with life (it is hard for a normal person to negotiate all life will throw at us, just think what it is like for someone who finds it hard to just get out of bed.).

I don't find these type of studies a great help and even a bit miss leading. ALL children in bad situations need help, and ALL children with mental issues will need help even if they come from good homes.

What I did not see is a reference or link to genetic disposition in the study. A child maybe being neglected because their parents are also mentally ill and not able to deal with life or able to raise a child properly.

Orbit

I'm a planet

“Early adversity such as childhood neglect (CN) or abuse is associated with an increased risk of a range of mental health issues including psychosis… early adversity was strongly associated with increased risk for psychosis and that people with schizophrenia are 2.72 times more likely to have experienced adverse childhood events than healthy individuals. Evidence supports a causal role as longitudinal studies indicate early adversity precedes the onset of psychosis.”
That makes sense to me. Stress and trauma can cause psychosis in general. People are actually more fragile than we think, and stress is cumulative. This is just my layman's opinion.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That makes sense to me. Stress and trauma can cause psychosis in general. People are actually more fragile than we think, and stress is cumulative. This is just my layman's opinion.

Your layman's opinion reflects my personal experience, and that's evidence enough for me.

Stress compounds exponentially. And if a traumatic stressor isn't handled, any other stress included exacerbates it.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Damn it.

Family history of psychosis and heavy childhood trauma. Havent had psychosis tho. Thank goodness. My risk of schizophrenia is increased.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Not sure if you wanted a response to this or just wanted to post it for others to see. I also know mental illness is kind of a taboo field with many conflicting views. I quickly looked over what you posted but did not read to the end or look into any of the supporting sources for the article. So my views here are my own without a full understanding of what the authors intended.

I do believe in early intervention when child abuse or neglect is suspected, but I feel any mental heath issues should be dealt with at some level as early as possible for the child to survive and deal with life (it is hard for a normal person to negotiate all life will throw at us, just think what it is like for someone who finds it hard to just get out of bed.).

I don't find these type of studies a great help and even a bit miss leading. ALL children in bad situations need help, and ALL children with mental issues will need help even if they come from good homes.

What I did not see is a reference or link to genetic disposition in the study. A child maybe being neglected because their parents are also mentally ill and not able to deal with life or able to raise a child properly.

I absolutely agree with what you are saying, but the articles overall message was just to show a bit of causation between neglect/abuse and those predisposed to schizophrenia and psychosis.

Definitely a topic free for people to discuss.

Edited: interestingly - "Current understandings of psychosis rely heavily on a biological model, which emphasizes brain and genetic-based understandings of psychosis and its symptoms. However, it has been critiqued for explaining very little about how a person comes to develop schizophrenia. Additionally, a recent study found that genetic risk for the development of schizophrenia becomes less important as more traumatic events are experienced, contradicting the diathesis-stress model, which assumes that genetic risk plus traumatic events can lead to psychosis."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No smoking weed...that can help cause it to start
I agree don't.

But. It can counter it too. Psychosis is a response to too much or too little dopamine running around.

"Current research suggests that schizophrenia is a neurodevelopmental disorder with an important dopamine component.1Four decades of research have focused on the role of dopamine in schizophrenia, and it seems clear that excesses or deficiencies in dopamine can lead to symptoms of schizophrenia."

Drugs increase dopamine by varying levels, and processes.

I've had medication induced psychosis thanks to a med that was supposed to help me sleep.

Edited: added quote

Last edited:

Misunderstood

I absolutely agree with what you are saying, but the articles overall message was just to show a bit of causation between neglect/abuse and those predisposed to schizophrenia and psychosis.

Definitely a topic free for people to discuss.

Edited: interestingly - "Current understandings of psychosis rely heavily on a biological model, which emphasizes brain and genetic-based understandings of psychosis and its symptoms. However, it has been critiqued for explaining very little about how a person comes to develop schizophrenia. Additionally, a recent study found that genetic risk for the development of schizophrenia becomes less important as more traumatic events are experienced, contradicting the diathesis-stress model, which assumes that genetic risk plus traumatic events can lead to psychosis."
I was hoping others would join into the conversation. I saw this post sitting without any response and hoped to get it going a little bit. I feel this is a hard subject to discuss objectively because people have very strong feeling about it. But it needs to be discussed, because so many lives are affected and destroyed by mental illness.

I do agree with what the study is saying and that there is a problem with abuse and neglect with children. I just feel that we sometimes get tunnel vision and only offer help to children in certain groups such as "Neglected and Abused Children". I feel help should be given to all; some children do come from healthy families but are to poor to get help, since they do not fit into the right group they cannot get help.

but the articles overall message was just to show a bit of causation between neglect/abuse and those predisposed to schizophrenia and psychosis.

I do agree I did stray off topic here a bit. Since I had no other posts to work off of I had to come up with a response I could get behind. Sorry if it took away from you intent.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

The results of the debate between nature and nurture are in -- we are a combination. When it comes to psychosis, there is certainly a genetic component, combined with things like prenatal environment etc., but Trauma also plays a role.

In the olden days, people assumed that children were resilient and weathered trauma. We do now know this is not the case. Trauma in childhood permanently scars us.

Last edited: