• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child support (continued)

Maxist

Well, this is a continuation on my previous one, entitled 'child support'. Is it logical that a step father or step mother should pay child support? What if the step father had been with the child all of his or her life? Would that not cause the same emotional stress, even though it was not the step father or mother did not have sex with his or her partner to cause the birth. What if before the woman knew that she was pregnant the man married her, or even was with her?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hmm. so are you saying both the biological father and step father should pay if there is a divorce the second time around?

Maxist

Well, I am asking. I beleive that if the step-father has been with the child for an extended period of the child's life, then yes. If the step father was the main sorce of income, then yes. They do not provide child-support because of the childs being his or her father's as well as his or her mother's. They do it for the childs well being, and for for well being of the mother. If the child would be physically or mentally disturbed by the father or step-father's leaving, then he shhould pay. The same holds true with the mothers leaving.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Maxist said:
Well, I am asking. I beleive that if the step-father has been with the child for an extended period of the child's life, then yes. If the step father was the main sorce of income, then yes. They do not provide child-support because of the childs being his or her father's as well as his or her mother's. They do it for the childs well being, and for for well being of the mother. If the child would be physically or mentally disturbed by the father or step-father's leaving, then he shhould pay. The same holds true with the mothers leaving.
All children are disturbed to some extent by having the way their world flows disrupted. But I don't think you can by that fact alone expect a man who is not the biological father of a child to pay child support. By that reasoning, any significant figure in the childs life should shell out if they then remove themselves from it later and thereby cause the child stress.
What if the child is happy to see the step go? Should he then have to fork out money to maintain a kid that isn't his and didn't even like him?

evearael

This is difficult... What if the father was infertile and the mother bore the child with artificial insemination with another donor. The father is the original parent, but not biologically...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Maxist said:

I would still like to know if the biological father already pays child support or not. Obviously if the bio dad pays support then the step parent shouldn't have to. I am assuming you are asking the question because the bio dad does not pay support. Interesting question as I have not thought of this issue before.

Now I don't know if you are asking the question from a moral or legal standpoint, but here is a link I found about step parent support and the courts.

http://www.divorcenet.com/divorcenet_2/states/washington/wa_art05

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
evearael said:
This is difficult... What if the father was infertile and the mother bore the child with artificial insemination with another donor. The father is the original parent, but not biologically...
Yeah, but under those circumstances, surely the original parent was complicit in the AI and therefore took on the responsibilities of the biological parent.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
evearael said:

If the non bio father and mother were married in this instance and the child's name is on the birth certificate, then he is responsible for support. Actuallly this is the case even if they aren't married.