• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charismatics Are At War With Each Other Over Failed Prophecies Of Trump Victory

Redemptionsong

But it just about never fails to be brought up as a point trying to convince someone of the "truth" of your claims, isn't that right? You can't help but turn to the idea that there are "consequences" to be reckoned with in the event that you don't adhere to what The Bible tells you to do, or even if you simply don't believe. These "consequences" - do you honestly think they don't constitute a threat? When someone says something like, "You might fall and hurt yourself if you don't stop messing around on that ladder.", that's not a threat, because the person making the statement understands that it is only a possibility. You, on the other hand, are stating that I am, in fact, facing some consequences RIGHT NOW for my failure to toe the Biblical line, right? Taken to our "ladder" analogy," that's the person instead saying "You are suffering for your folly right now for messing around on that ladder, and we'll see how much you like it when you fall, which you will do. It is not a question of whether or not you do, you ARE going to fall, I know it." Can you see how that comes across as the person doing the admonishing sort of being a bit nutty about it? Can you see? It becomes something like a threat, and the person is almost reveling in the idea that this person on the ladder is going to suffer and see that the other person was right all along.

I don't care about your asinine "truth" in this matter. Keep it to yourself. I see nothing but the threat, and the idea that you simply relish telling people how horrible they are and how they are going to suffer for disagreeing with you. If you don't want me to think that of you, then stop saying this idiotic crap.

If, however, you don't care what I think of you, that's fine too! Just keep saying whatever goofy things you want to, and I will simply keep calling you out on it. It is wholly your choice.

Jesus made it clear that you cannot keep truth to yourself. I've listened to you, and I'm hoping you'll listen to me. I don't claim to be a better human being, quite the opposite. I claim to have recognised my sinfulness.

You and I have been born into the same world. I don't have to tell you that life is fragile, or that we will ultimately die a physical death. To deny life's fragility, or that all human beings have to face death, is to declare ignorance of our condition. Surely you don't deny this condition?

If you accept the threats to life, then it makes sense to build your life on rock, and not on sand. If you happen to pass through this life without experiencing the storms, then you should consider yourself an exceptional human being.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Jesus made it clear that you cannot keep truth to yourself.
There is no "truth" to be had by us, save what we can glean from the fundamental observation of what appears changeless throughout the universe.

I've listened to you, and I'm hoping you'll listen to me.
It is typical for you to assume that I haven't been listening simply because I don't accept what you say at face value. Absolutely typical. You win no awards here. OBVIOUSLY I have been "listening," because each time I reply, it is POINT BY POINT to what you have stated. All evidence points to this. It takes ignorance (of the willful variety) to claim otherwise.

I don't claim to be a better human being,
Uh... neither do I... why are we talking about this?

I claim to have recognised my sinfulness.
I will never recognize my "sinfulness" as pertains to your ideas of sin. If some of your ideas of what are detrimental behaviors between human beings happen to align with my own, so be it. But I don't have to accept your ideas of what is "right" and "wrong." And in our societies (most of them anyway) this is generally how it works. We go back and forth over each and every point, evaluating and re-evaluating the benefit or detriment of our rules and behaviors, to make sure that we cover our bases and try to see the fewest people hurt according to some mass-applicable standard. The way it DOESN'T WORK (in case you hadn't noticed) is that we pick up some 2,000+ year old book, throw up our hands and say "Well, that's what it says!" It used to work like that... but that way of doing things failed horribly, and wasn't fair, and sucked eggs.

You and I have been born into the same world. I don't have to tell you that life is fragile, or that we will ultimately die a physical death. To deny life's fragility, or that all human beings have to face death, is to declare ignorance of our condition. Surely you don't deny this condition?
I don't, no. I have no idea why the conversation went here. Of course, I usually have a very hard time trying to figure out why most things Christian's say in a conversation end up being said at that point in the conversation. You guys tend to wander around a lot, mentally, and you just seem to pluck things out of the air to say at random... based on absolutely nothing that was previously being discussed. It is annoying as hell, by the way.

If you accept the threats to life, then it makes sense to build your life on rock, and not on sand.
So what do you think I have built my life on? I am automatically on "sand" if I am not on "God," is that it? Don't be naive.

If you happen to pass through this life without experiencing the storms, then you should consider yourself an exceptional human being.
Many of the types of "storms" you're talking about are likely a matter of perspective. If you are the type to let things get to you, then they will, obviously, get to you. I am not that type. I am far more like an animal. The things that affect me that cannot be changed become the new "normal," and there is nothing but to soldier on. It is the only thing that makes sense to do. To sit and lament, or call out to unseen and unknowable powers - those, to me, are signs that you have let the weakness creep in. Your mind isn't strong enough for the storm, and you are in the process of succumbing. If you believe anything - believe that I will not let that be me.

Redemptionsong

There is no "truth" to be had by us, save what we can glean from the fundamental observation of what appears changeless throughout the universe.

It is typical for you to assume that I haven't been listening simply because I don't accept what you say at face value. Absolutely typical. You win no awards here. OBVIOUSLY I have been "listening," because each time I reply, it is POINT BY POINT to what you have stated. All evidence points to this. It takes ignorance (of the willful variety) to claim otherwise.

Uh... neither do I... why are we talking about this?

I will never recognize my "sinfulness" as pertains to your ideas of sin. If some of your ideas of what are detrimental behaviors between human beings happen to align with my own, so be it. But I don't have to accept your ideas of what is "right" and "wrong." And in our societies (most of them anyway) this is generally how it works. We go back and forth over each and every point, evaluating and re-evaluating the benefit or detriment of our rules and behaviors, to make sure that we cover our bases and try to see the fewest people hurt according to some mass-applicable standard. The way it DOESN'T WORK (in case you hadn't noticed) is that we pick up some 2,000+ year old book, throw up our hands and say "Well, that's what it says!" It used to work like that... but that way of doing things failed horribly, and wasn't fair, and sucked eggs.

I don't, no. I have no idea why the conversation went here. Of course, I usually have a very hard time trying to figure out why most things Christian's say in a conversation end up being said at that point in the conversation. You guys tend to wander around a lot, mentally, and you just seem to pluck things out of the air to say at random... based on absolutely nothing that was previously being discussed. It is annoying as hell, by the way.

So what do you think I have built my life on? I am automatically on "sand" if I am not on "God," is that it? Don't be naive.

Many of the types of "storms" you're talking about are likely a matter of perspective. If you are the type to let things get to you, then they will, obviously, get to you. I am not that type. I am far more like an animal. The things that affect me that cannot be changed become the new "normal," and there is nothing but to soldier on. It is the only thing that makes sense to do. To sit and lament, or call out to unseen and unknowable powers - those, to me, are signs that you have let the weakness creep in. Your mind isn't strong enough for the storm, and you are in the process of succumbing. If you believe anything - believe that I will not let that be me.
Do you think Jesus was weak minded?

So, what is a strong mind? Is it a weakness to show kindness to enemies? Or should we act instinctively, like animals, towards those that threaten us?

I wonder at what kind of world you would have us live in.

Wandering Monk

homer_praying_by_avatar1997-d64hezf.jpg