• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chaos Magick

darkskies

Anyone dabbled in this before?
I have, a few months back, but I've been too busy these last 2 years. I still am. Even so I'm really considering learning more and especially putting it into practice. My life can do with some focus. Plus it's fun.
If you have (done any), I'd love to explore any books you'd recommend.

Wurlitzer Oz

Chaos Magick
Hi aketo, yes, I'm a practicing Chaos Magician.

While it is good to read a few books, it is even more important to do practical work.
The most valuable (and probably least liked) practice is that of keeping a magical journal.

Some "classics" on the topic are:
  • "Liber Null and Psychonaut", and "Liber Chaos", both by Pete Carroll
  • "S.S.O.T.B.M.E" by Ramsey Dukes
  • "Practical Sigil Magic", by Frater U∴D∴
Books that were published in this millennium:
  • "Advanced Magick for Beginners", by Alan Chapman
  • "The Chaos Protocols", by Gordon White
  • "Occult Experiments in the Home", by Duncan Barford
What have you been reading? Are you interested in group work? Do you do sigils only, or are you into ritual as well?

darkskies

Hi aketo, yes, I'm a practicing Chaos Magician.

While it is good to read a few books, it is even more important to do practical work.
The most valuable (and probably least liked) practice is that of keeping a magical journal.

Some "classics" on the topic are:
  • "Liber Null and Psychonaut", and "Liber Chaos", both by Pete Carroll
  • "S.S.O.T.B.M.E" by Ramsey Dukes
  • "Practical Sigil Magic", by Frater U∴D∴
Books that were published in this millennium:
  • "Advanced Magick for Beginners", by Alan Chapman
  • "The Chaos Protocols", by Gordon White
  • "Occult Experiments in the Home", by Duncan Barford
What have you been reading? Are you interested in group work? Do you do sigils only, or are you into ritual as well?
Thank you so much. Really appreciate this.
I've been reading some basics: oven-ready chaos, grimoire of chaos magick. Even some goetia though I'm not a fan of that.
About groups...I'm not in a stable place right now, maybe in the future I'll think about it.
The thing is, I don't have too much to work with right away. Till now it's only been sigils although I'd like to do ritual as well when I have the freedom to. I'm not planning on doing anything complex (yet).

Last edited:

Wurlitzer Oz

Chaos Magick
Thank you so much. Really appreciate this.
I've been reading some basics: oven-ready chaos, grimoire of chaos magick. Even some goetia though I'm not a fan of that.

What are your thoughts on the Goetia?

About groups...I'm not in a stable place right now, maybe in the future I'll think about it.

If you are dealing with major instabilities right now, be aware that any magical practice takes time and resources and can add to the chaos.

The thing is, I don't have too much to work with right away. Till now it's only been sigils although I'd like to do ritual as well when I have the freedom to. I'm not planning on doing anything complex (yet).

Some kind of meditation regime? Cheap and portable, and, along with the magical journal, invaluable.

darkskies

What are your thoughts on the Goetia?
It's interesting. I'd prefer working with myself though, not external entities. They could maybe work as archetypes sure but they're more complicated than just symbols I think. Nonetheless I'll try it out in some way.
If you are dealing with major instabilities right now, be aware that any magical practice takes time and resources and can add to the chaos.
Yes I'm aware thanks. Right now the most I can do is find the literary resources and put some simple ones to use.
Some kind of meditation regime? Cheap and portable, and, along with the magical journal, invaluable.
I have tried that actually. I just can't seem to get anywhere with it. Mind too chaotic, ironically. But I might know why; I have meditation in my culture (I'm an ex-Hindu) and all my life it's been imposed onto me like it's something I have to do. And every time I've resisted because I had no use back then. Guess the habit stayed. I should've been a good kid lol.
I'm a little too paranoid for magical journals yet .-. but I'll definitely start off when in the clear.
I'm a little afraid I'll just give up or forget which I do with a lot of things, so journal sounds good.

Wurlitzer Oz

Chaos Magick
I have tried that actually. I just can't seem to get anywhere with it. Mind too chaotic, ironically. But I might know why; I have meditation in my culture (I'm an ex-Hindu) and all my life it's been imposed onto me like it's something I have to do. And every time I've resisted because I had no use back then. Guess the habit stayed. I should've been a good kid lol.
I see. Have you tried something like doing a banishing ritual like the Gnostic Pentagram Ritual, every day? Not like meditation at all.

I'm a little too paranoid for magical journals yet .-. but I'll definitely start off when in the clear.
I'm a little afraid I'll just give up or forget which I do with a lot of things, so journal sounds good.
Paranoid? That someone might find it? You can keep it in electronic form, on an encrypted USB stick, or some cloud service you set up for this one purpose, for example.

darkskies

I see. Have you tried something like doing a banishing ritual like the Gnostic Pentagram Ritual, every day? Not like meditation at all.
Nope. I've barely done any ritual. I'll look into that.
Paranoid? That someone might find it? You can keep it in electronic form, on an encrypted USB stick, or some cloud service you set up for this one purpose, for example.
No, I need a book. Sigils are much easier there and I've always liked typographical aesthetics. I can use my own scripts and it's completely customizable in every way.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll find a way to keep it safe.