• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in wording 'Absolution' and Act of Contrition, for Lent 2023

pearl

Prayer of Absolution
“God, the Father of mercies,
through the death and resurrection of his Son
has reconciled the world to himself
and poured out [formerly “sent”] the Holy Spirit for [previously “Holy Spirit among us for”] the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church
may God grant [instead of “give”] you pardon and peace.
And I absolve you from your sins
in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

Act of Contrition
O my God,
I am heartily sorry for having offended you,
and I detest all my sins because of your just punishments,
but most of all because they offend you, my God,
who are all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace,
to sin no more
and to avoid the near occasions of sin.
Amen

Apparently closer to the Latin translation
Confession: The Act of Contrition and words of absolution to get new translations starting this Lent | America Magazine

chlotilde

Madame Curie
Prayer of Absolution

and poured out [formerly “sent”] the Holy Spirit for [previously “Holy Spirit among us for”] the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church
may God grant [instead of “give”] you pardon and peace.

Hi Pearl,
I haven't read the official Bishop statement on this, because, to be honest, I feel like the Bishops spend 20 pages to explain a simple change.
I always feel like I am that Owen Wilson character in the Bruce Willis movie "Armageddon" lol (where the asteroid is hurling to earth).
And the NASA director is explaining what space conditions are like, and Wilson's character says something along the lines of..."Okay, so the most scariest experience ever. That's all you had to say, the most scariest experience ever."

Anyway, in the above changes, I feel like they are adding a feeling of specialness in the word grant, as in, a friend gives you something, but a King....a King grants you something, elevating both the giver and the recipient.

poured out vs. sent, to me, gives a feeling of deepness;
but eliminating "among us" from the Holy Spirit might combine the unity of the Holy Spirit, but at the same time, it eliminates it.

Now I need to go find the official statement, :).