• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I just want to see how many "transitional species" everybody can come up with. Can you name an animal, living or extinct, that bridges a gap between higher and lower orders in the animal kingdom, or shows how one animal might have evolved into another? No peppered moths please.

egroen

Archaeopteryx was amongst the first fossils discovered bridging the gap between reptiles and birds:
archaeopteryx.jpg
archaeopteryx!.jpg

-Erin

Smoke

Done here.
Rejected said:
Can you name an animal, living or extinct, that bridges a gap between higher and lower orders in the animal kingdom
Which orders are "higher" and which are "lower"?

Rejected said:
No one else?
Just the Archaeopteryx huh?
Can anyone come up with any modern species?
Are you asking for a modern species that (a) evolved from another living species and (b) gave rise to yet another living species? That's a pretty tall order, since everything keeps evolving.

The chimpanzee and the human are more closely related to each other than either is to the gorilla, but there's no surviving ancestral species from which both humans and chimpanzees descend, much less an even older surviving species from which all three descend.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I’m talking about animals like the Archaeopteryx which show traits found in two separate groups of animals which may hint at a link between the two.

One modern example I can think of is the mudskipper: Able to breathe through their skin similar to an amphibian, is capable of locomotion across land via adapted pectoral fins, etc.