• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chakras vs Sephirot?

vijeno

I have studied kabbalah for most of my adult life (without ever claiming to be a master of any sorts", and I also do some meditation on chakras. Both systems have grown on me, even though I wouldn't describe myself as a "believer" in either.

Obviously I don't want to start a debate on which is "better"; that would be weird and useless. They are two different sets of "metaphysical entities", both linked with character traits, the human body, and based on the idea of correspondences - specifically, the correspondence of macrocosm and microcosm. Two attempts to describe the cosmos in a holistic, esoteric way.

I would like to know what you as the main similarities and differences between both systems. Can we map them to each other, or is that a futile beginning? Can/do you use both in your meditations and/or physical practices?

I'll give the obvious so we don't have to repeat it over and over again: They come from different cultures, one from the "east", one from the "west", so they bear different sets of connotations.

As one specific topic of interest, I would like to know why everybody seems to use the chakras to focus their intentions etc, but rarely do I see mention of the sephirot. (It seems that way to me, anyway.) I have a few suspicions, but I would like to see your take on it first.