• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cerebral Organoids

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Sources:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/810146
healthfinder.gov - Scientists Grow 'Model Brain' From Stem Cells

Why is it the first significant article on stem cell research (an area I strongly approve of) is in the one area that I think might potentially be ethically challenging (in terms of actually getting close to an experiment that might have the potential to cause the experience of suffering)?

I am hoping (and do believe) that these 'mini-brains' do not have the capacity for such experience, because otherwise I would have strong reservations about how such research should proceed in terms of minimising the experience of suffering (just as I think experiments on small animals is acceptable under certain conditions).

Still, it is interesting work and along with developments in organ production such as livers it paints a rather impressive picture of our future medical capacity.