• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholicism in poor Countries

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I feel a bit loath to start this thread - simply because i do not want to be seen as targetting Roman Catholicism. We have some fine Forum members here who are a credit to their faith, and the last thing I want is for them to feel that I am targetting them...

I may in fact be completely wrong in what I say, and if I am, please feel free to bash me on the head with the appropriate smiley!:bonk:

Marie and I have always seen Catholicsm from the 'poor man's eye' - by that, I am maily talking about the Sanish, their colonies, and South american Catholic orientated countries.

It seems like the very poor often give everything that they can to the Church - to their own family's detriment - the typical image is a beautiful Church, beautifully decorated, adorned with expensive statues - well, anything that one would normally find in a church.

I can understand the morality of the Church, and that of the Church goers - who are contributing of their own volition (I don't believe that anyone is eintentionally being greedy - whatever).

How do you all feel about this ? Am I in fact wrong ?
Do you think the money ought to be directed at improving these people's lifestyles ?, or do you think it is fine for these people to go without, so that they may feel devout, in giving their all to the faith - or do you think that the Church ought to be responsible by telling the parishioners to look after their own family's needs ?:eek:

Ori

Angel slayer
Well I think the church is rich enough, maybe it's time for them to start giving some money back to the poor.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
The Catholic Churches give thousands to poor all over the world. In just about every city I've ever lived in, there are food pantries run by the Catholic Church giving to the poor and needy. In Henderson, Ky. the Catholic Church is the only Church there that gives supplies to the woman's shelter. The local Priest gives alot of his time there also. In the poorer Countries they send Missionaries who in places risk their lives to help the poor. They educate. They teach trades. Could they do more by spending less money on lavish Churches? Probably. But with all they do, I Would not find fault in this. I'm sure there are reasons I'm not aware of. Focus on the good.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jgallandt said:
The Catholic Churches give thousands to poor all over the world. In just about every city I've ever lived in, there are food pantries run by the Catholic Church giving to the poor and needy. In Henderson, Ky. the Catholic Church is the only Church there that gives supplies to the woman's shelter. The local Priest gives alot of his time there also. In the poorer Countries they send Missionaries who in places risk their lives to help the poor. They educate. They teach trades. Could they do more by spending less money on lavish Churches? Probably. But with all they do, I Would not find fault in this. I'm sure there are reasons I'm not aware of. Focus on the good.
I guess you are right. Focus on the good - it is so easy to focus on the 'not so good'; I am sorry I started this thread - but it is something that Marie and I have often talked of......:eek:

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to jgallandt again.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am sure the poor see these Churches as THEIR Churches where They worship Their God.
They may not be able to spend on their own houses. but in Church they can say with all theeir heart see how beautiful we have made Our Gods House. Their prioritis towards God are right. and it gives them comfort and hope. I'm not going to say they are wrong.

Terry

Lloyd

A lot of what people think and know about the Catholic Church is shaped by criticicism of the Church from past centuries, whether that be Protestant, Rationalist, Liberal, or Marxist. It's always good to keep in mind how circumstances may have changed since those critiques were made. I have no objections to saying that from the 16-19th centuries Catholicism was really bad for the poor and downtrodden of Latin America, but if you take a look down there nowadays some of the most active organizers against oppressive governments and corporations are priests and nuns.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Lloyd said:
A lot of what people think and know about the Catholic Church is shaped by criticicism of the Church from past centuries, whether that be Protestant, Rationalist, Liberal, or Marxist. It's always good to keep in mind how circumstances may have changed since those critiques were made. I have no objections to saying that from the 16-19th centuries Catholicism was really bad for the poor and downtrodden of Latin America, but if you take a look down there nowadays some of the most active organizers against oppressive governments and corporations are priests and nuns.
Very true , but I don't think they get much support from Rome for their trouble.

Terry

Lintu

I personally believe that the Catholic church has helped to continue some of the poverty in these areas by preaching against birth control and the like. But, perhaps it gives spiritual meaning to people who have little physical wealth.

Any religion is easly accepted by the poor, we see it time and again in the bible. The people become rich and they do not accept the teachings of Christ because they are proud and think they do not need help. As we see in the New testement, the people who came unto Christ were the tired, poor, and sick. These people needed something else as a foundation for there lives.

It is important for all religions to help the poor, but not so far as too stray from the ultimate goal. To bring to Christ.

Prima

Michel: :bonk:

Heehee.

Actually, one of the reasons for this idea might be that the Catholic Church, as a rule, does not promote its own charity work very much. Much of the work done by the Catholic Church is not well-publicized.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of these churches that you speak of are probably rather old, and aren't built very quickly because of the money factor. Have you actually seen any new churches with the "typical image is a beautiful Church, beautifully decorated, adorned with expensive statues" ? My church, for example, is huge, but it isn't really lavish. Any of the older churches that are lavish probably were built at a time or place where the Church had extreme governmental support. (at least, that's my guess)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
O.K Guy, O.K !!!!!!!

I realize I have 'Goofed' ; you are all right; thank you for the links Scott, and thank you everyone else for puting me right - I feel about 1 inch high if it helps! - I wish I had gone with my gut feeling, and had never started this thread!:eek: