• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Case Against Renewable Energy

dianaiad

You are absolutely right and this is why windfarms will lesson pollution and thereby help the ecosystem. It may however cause a few bird species to die off. I think we should focus on renewable and clean energy first and then focus on bird species next. Unless, of course, you think my position is incorrect :) ?

Your position is.....not your position. I have the distinct impression that somehow or other we have found ourselves arguing for the 'other side' here. ;)

Btw, the wolf story was fascinating. We can keep some Condors in a zoo and then relocate them to less windy areas.

Uhmn.....Condors really need 'windy areas--but the zoo idea? That is, basically, what California DID. It's why we have 148 of them now, not six.

Really? :p My little green peace advocate.

ARRGGGHH!!!!!

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
(thinking about my dog and his service cat) Service animals. not just guide dogs and service animals for the disabled, I'm talking about the 'support' dogs and therapy animals who give emotional and mental support and stability.

....and one can't just pick up any old animal and make it a 'support/service animal,' with all the bells, whistles, and vest that allows them to go to places that ordinarily ban pets from entrance, such as stores, medical clinics and the rest. One must have a large population to choose from, a population of animals that have been bred to, and become accustomed to, living that intimately with humans.

They are, true, ALSO fun to watch and play with, but as I wrote earlier, that is a secondary, lovely surprise.

Huh. Y'know, I never had a dog until three years ago, when something just told me that I had to visit the local animal shelter. Someone had turned in a litter (TEN puppies!) of mixed breed dogs. They were all about six weeks old, perhaps younger. They were mostly shetlands. I, of course, picked the smallest one. I only was able to keep Belle for a bit over a year before she ran out of the house and got hit by a car. It was devastating. Two months later I went back to the shelter and came home with a Chihuahua/cairne terrior mix, and he's been a vital part of my life for two years now. I'm not 'entertained' by him. I NEED him. Chemotherapy is a ..(insert appropriate but descriptive curse of your choice). He's my 'therapy' dog.

If people didn't keep pets, so that Dobby wouldn't have been born, I wouldn't have that solace.

...and people have had dogs almost as long as there have been people. Dogs, it seems, are an integral part of being human. So, evidently, are cats, parrots...whatever. Humans NEED them. They are not a luxury item, and if it ever comes to the point where we literally can't afford to have pets, the human race would be in a great deal more trouble than can be fixed by not having them, that is certain.
Well you sure make a great case for pets! I'm sold. :)
I have my own pets in the form of crows, fox and little birds. The crows actually follow me through the woods begging for food if they run out before they're full....noisy and very bossy corvids...

Glad you have your buddy for comfort and companionship.

charlie sc

Any ideas for that problem?
Very nice reply.

Frankly, in my humble opinion, I'd get us out of old fossil fuels as quick as possible. Once that is over, it's much easier to see the problems. The problems with fossil fuels is that it's a limited resource so it hides behind capitalism. Renewable energy doesn't have this problem.

On the cat issue. No idea. They're too cute to cull but I'm sure we can get someone to do it. :p

charlie sc

Well, debating a position is fun. One learns a great deal when having to defend a position one ordinarily does not take.

What can we argue about next?

Anything. I particularly enjoy moral arguments, sciencey ones and some philosophy. Philosophy can get so dull though. Religion vs atheism is fun. I'm an atheist :p

dianaiad

Anything. I particularly enjoy moral arguments, sciencey ones and some philosophy. Philosophy can get so dull though. Religion vs atheism is fun. I'm an atheist :p

Oh, yeah?

I'm very much a theist. Why don't you argue FOR the existence of God, and I'll argue against? It's not as if I haven't heard all the arguments y'all have. ;)

You know, the ones that begin 'if there were a God, He would do this...." or "Prove that God exists empirically."

On the other hand....nah...I wouldn't be able to keep a straight keyboard.

charlie sc

Oh, yeah?

I'm very much a theist. Why don't you argue FOR the existence of God, and I'll argue against? It's not as if I haven't heard all the arguments y'all have. ;)

You know, the ones that begin 'if there were a God, He would do this...." or "Prove that God exists empirically."

On the other hand....nah...I wouldn't be able to keep a straight keyboard.

Lol sure we can forgo this.

It's very hard to argue for a position you strongly believe against. I don't care much for cats or birds so it was easy to change positions. I have argued for the usefulness of religion, which seems to drive atheists crazy because it's based on science. Though, this doesn't mean god exists but it still drives them crazy because it may somewhat imply it on some emotional level.
If I were to argue for god, I don't know which god I'd have to argue for. I suppose deism is fairly bland, but it's an easier position to hold.

Anyway, ya.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Very nice reply.

Frankly, in my humble opinion, I'd get us out of old fossil fuels as quick as possible. Once that is over, it's much easier to see the problems. The problems with fossil fuels is that it's a limited resource so it hides behind capitalism. Renewable energy doesn't have this problem.

On the cat issue. No idea. They're too cute to cull but I'm sure we can get someone to do it. :p
Yes, the problem is it is way to easy to ignore the problems with burning Dino remains. And any one with a few bucks can easily rent/destroy public lands to dig up Dino remains and sell them all over the planet.

That just is not right. We are sacrificing our planet for profits and cheap energy.

Who doesn't love pulling up to a pump and seeing that cheap petrol price?

And the obvious, we have to stop being greedy and using more of all resources than we really need to. What is wrong with only using what is reasonable?