• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cannibalism

InChrist

Free4ever
I have an observation....

As far as I am aware no religion that I know of explicitly forbids cannibalism.

Why?

And does this mean it's OK?

And if it is wrong, why?

What is actually wrong with cannibalism?

And no, I am not a cannibal and neither do I condone the practice indeed I find it distasteful, but don't know why. I suppose I just do.....
I think the biblical scriptures certainly make a strong case against cannibalism; consuming the flesh of human beings created in the image of God.

What does the Bible say about cannibalism? Is there cannibalism in the Bible? | GotQuestions.org

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't remember the last time I ate meat that was hunted, with the exception of seafood that is wild caught (aka, hunted). Back before factory farming, yeah, it'd have been more of a tossup. Animals allowed to just live their lives, basically, enriched of their own accords before being sacrificed so that we may live.

Meh...I ate a lot of hunted food when I lived in PNG. Fair to say it wasn't always cleanly killed, so I wouldn't necessarily treat it as more ethical than farmed food, depending entirely on context.

There is still some hunted food available for common consumption in Australia (particularly kangaroo, more rarely sometimes camel).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The Fore people of Papua New Guinea used to practice funerary cannibalism. They ended up suffering from kuru, a degenerative illness contracted from eating infected brains. That's one good reason to avoid eating human brains, delicious though they may be.

It's an interesting...if kinda morbid...topic actually.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ua_New_Guinea_to_the_Neanderthals'_Extinction

One of the things which caused some confusion was the different rates of transmission between different areas (Southern vs Northern Fore, or some of the surrounding Highland tribes with similar practices), all of whom were practising cannibalistic rituals as part of funeral rights (so, not cannibalistic rituals of their enemies, but instead their relatives).
There was variance in whether the bodies were buried and then exhumed after they became maggot-infested, or not, for example.
Predicting mortality rates was further complicated by the very long incubation period of the illness.