• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian man attacked by bear: "You don't have to do this"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, yeah, that's one way, of course. The thing is, a lot of wild animals, including bears, have generally learned to stay away from humans and human settlements. Precisely because we use these effective means of communication to let them know to stay away.

But in recent years, I've been hearing stories of bears (and also coyotes) becoming more noticeable in human areas. Some of it is blamed on irresponsible humans who feed bears or leave food out which attracts them. I saw one guy feeding coyotes in a parking lot.

Some (very stupid) people feed the coyotes in my city. (By leaving meat on trails) The neighbours are appalled. They pose a real threat to dogs and other people.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Some (very stupid) people feed the coyotes in my city. (By leaving meat on trails) The neighbours are appalled. They pose a real thread to dogs and other people.

Also something to consider, shrinking habitats. Building a plethora of new developments in areas that were once forested....sooner or later animals have no place to go but where you are.

The area I live in is growing considerably and rather fast, seeing deer, coyotes, foxes more than I did 10 years ago. And now we have an unusually large rabbit population this year. No surprise they spotted a cougar the next town over.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Also something to consider, shrinking habitats. Building a plethora of new developments in areas that were once forested....sooner or later animals have no place to go but where you are.

The area I live in is growing considerably and rather fast, seeing deer, coyotes, foxes more than I did 10 years ago. And now we have an unusually large rabbit population this year. No surprise they spotted a cougar the next town over.

Indeed. I was in a very prairie place just last weekend, and learned that moose have been seen there. It's a couple hundred miles from traditional moose habitat. So yes, they are adapting.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Canadian man says he pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this'

Well, perhaps we can teach bears English so that they will understand our pleas if ever we have unfortunate encounters with bears. Or perhaps we can learn to speak bear.

Well, I'm glad the guy turned out okay, and it's kind of a funny story.

But can animals really understand us when we talk to them?
Well he did break one cardinal rule. He ran from the bear. DON'T RUN!!!!

Stand your ground and create a ruckus, hooping and a hollering at the top of your lungs while slowly backing away facing the bear. Unless he was unfortunate to meet a rogue or a mother with cubs, black bears are pretty skittish as long as you don't trigger the chase instinct.

I'd probably bark and growl like a dog at the animal.

Like this little guy.....

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
bqm3mrsef2w21.jpg