• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada's C-11 Bill, the Online Streaming Act, Becomes a Law, So What Does the Average Canadian Think of It?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics

My best friend is from Canada but doesn't get too involved in politics. In fact, we almost never talk about politics, whether generally, Canadian or American. I'm just curious though what Canadian RF users think of this law. It seems like when this law is put into affect big Canadian government is going to sort content from YouTube and other platforms and primarily recommend Canadian content to Canadians, which, honestly, surprises me, because I never viewed Canadians having so much ... patriotism in my entire life.

Here in the states we are currently dealing with our own form of United States censorship on YouTube, but not for the name of nationalism or patriotism, but in order to protect children's information to be collected by corporations who would then show targeted ads for them. COPPA is now law and a bunch of kid-friendly YouTube content has shut down as a result, because the ads they show earned them much more money when cookies and other personal information was allowed.

There are similarities and differences between the OSA and COPPA, but it's interesting what countries are doing in the name of protecting themselves from the supposed harms of the Internet.

So, if you are a Canadian, what do you think of the OSA?