• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can you demonstrate that playing sports is meaningless?

Mr. Skittles

Why just football? I played sports too. I thought your OP addressed sports in general.

Actually the OP was a spinoff from the American Exceptionalism thread which Father Heathen and myself were discussing "men chasing balls" such as basketball, football, baseball.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Actually the OP was a spinoff from the American Exceptionalism thread which Father Heathen and myself were discussing "men chasing balls" such as basketball, football, baseball.

Okay. My grad work was specifically about basketball defense techniques in movement to which I studied and prepared a thesis on it for the better part of a year. My thesis was accepted and is archived in New York City.

I believe I'm qualified to play along here too. ;)

Mr. Skittles

Sorry I watched 30 seconds and it was just boring (no offense) because ballet (if that is the correct term) just doesn't appeal to me. What do I see? I see my video as a fast paced exciting video. Your video I see slow paced artistic, and poetic dancing of classy expressions through the art of dance. Its nice but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Mr. Skittles

Okay. My grad work was specifically about basketball defense techniques in movement to which I studied and prepared a thesis on it for the better part of a year. My thesis was accepted and is archived in New York City.

I believe I'm qualified to play along here too. ;)

Not saying you weren't was just clarifying the OP

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sorry I watched 30 seconds and it was just boring (no offense) because ballet (if that is the correct term) just doesn't appeal to me. What do I see? I see my video as a fast paced exciting video. Your video I see slow paced artistic, and poetic dancing of classy expressions through the art of dance. Its nice but it just doesn't appeal to me.

No offense taken. I asked for your thoughts.

However, allow me to clarify what I was asking for since I don't think I was clear. The argument is that there is a justifiable meaning to multi-million dollar sports events, games, and athleticism. When asked what that meaning was, the answer - as far as I could see - was that it taught us life lessons such as sportsmanship, teamwork, service, how to deal with success and failure, etc.

And that these meanings and distinctions apply to sports and bring value to the culture.

My introduction of the ballet video offered another perspective: do these values not apply to ballet performances only because they do not have the same "punch" in their movements as Shaq did in his alley-oop (as but one example)? Is it only a matter of taste that qualifies whether a performance - sport or dance - has an impact to the culture and it's audience?

Mr. Skittles

No offense taken. I asked for your thoughts.

However, allow me to clarify what I was asking for since I don't think I was clear. The argument is that there is a justifiable meaning to multi-million dollar sports events, games, and athleticism. When asked what that meaning was, the answer - as far as I could see - was that it taught us life lessons such as sportsmanship, teamwork, service, how to deal with success and failure, etc.

And that these meanings and distinctions apply to sports and bring value to the culture.

My introduction of the ballet video offered another perspective: do these values not apply to ballet performances only because they do not have the same "punch" in their movements as Shaq did in his alley-oop (as but one example)? Is it only a matter of taste that qualifies whether a performance - sport or dance - has an impact to the culture and it's audience?

I see your point. But some of the arguments here on value in relation to sports was that in so many words "what is so valuable about putting a ball in an orifice?" My position which I also expressed in your thread was that we live in a society that is about supply and demand. We live in a culture where entertainment supercedes all others. Now, you and I may believe that all things should be on a level playing field but that is not how it is.
The value of a ballet dancer compared to a football player is different because they appeal to two different cultures. When talking about financial value then we see that society values athletes more because of the supply. Look at boxing for instance, men beating each other. These modern day gladiators appeal to millions of people because we as a society are entertained with moderate forms of aggression as opposed to a quiet atmosphere like dancing.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I see your point. But some of the arguments here on value in relation to sports was that in so many words "what is so valuable about putting a ball in an orifice?" My position which I also expressed in your thread was that we live in a society that is about supply and demand. We live in a culture where entertainment supercedes all others. Now, you and I may believe that all things should be on a level playing field but that is not how it is.
The value of a ballet dancer compared to a football player is different because they appeal to two different cultures. When talking about financial value then we see that society values athletes more because of the supply. Look at boxing for instance, men beating each other. These modern day gladiators appeal to millions of people because we as a society are entertained with moderate forms of aggression as opposed to a quiet atmosphere like dancing.

Quiet atmosphere? How familiar are you with ballet?

Also, there have been many football players I've trained myself in dance so they find improvement in their footwork, balance, and flexibility.....Including soccer players, wrestlers, basketball players, etc.

A colleague of mine was featured on 20/20 with Connie Chung back in 1988 or so with her work with the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team in dance, which they took every day to help with their balance and alignment. They attributed part of their success in winning the National Championship that year to their dance training. She and I had many discussions and had made plans to continue with my grad work and her work with not only the basketball team but the UCLA track and field athletes and to expand on training more athletes with dance.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Actually your asking stupid questions in which I have answered them. For example:

Me: To avoid derailing a previous thread which had nothing to do with sports I am giving those who feel sports (in particular football, basketball, baseball) are meaningless and trivial.

You: What context do they base those statements on?

Me: I don't know, I am giving them the opportunity to speak more in-depth here.

You: Can't have a discussion without knowing the context of those statements.

Me: Which is why I made this thread to discuss the context

You: Still haven't showed the context.

Me: :facepalm:
Your blatant refusal to understand is all on you, not me or anyone else.

McBell

It's not a refusal to undertsand its me telling you that I DON'T KNOW THE DANG CONTEXT AS THESE COMMENTS WERE SAID ANECDOTALLY!
It is a fair indication that you did not pay much attention in the thread where you lifted those particular comments out of context.

Or is it perhaps you claim that those comments were just randomly thrown in for no reason?

Mr. Skittles

It is a fair indication that you did not pay much attention in the thread where you lifted those particular comments out of context.

Or is it perhaps you claim that those comments were just randomly thrown in for no reason?

Forest Gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

I am done giving you grade school level examples. I don't need to demonstrate to you why I made a thread. Your here asking me dumb questions. Funny, nobody else is having trouble understanding the thread except you. Just....stop....

McBell

Forest Gump once said "stupid is as stupid does"

I am done giving you grade school level examples. I don't need to demonstrate to you why I made a thread. Your here asking me dumb questions. Funny, nobody else is having trouble understanding the thread except you. Just....stop....
How about you get out of grade school and try at the very least high school.
But then, you would have to actually understand what the problem is.
You seem to have no desire to do anything but ***** and complain.
to each their own.

otokage007

Sports aren't meaningless. Every medic on your neightbourhood will tell you than in order to be healthy, u should do some kind of physical activities, and sports are the best choice. Sports not only keep u in shape, but also are very good stress-releasers, which means they help u being happier and healthier. They also strengthen the ability for teamworking, cognitive skills, endurance, among other things. It is also entertaining to watch them.

The only bad thing about sports, is that some of them, like Football, are too out of proportion, with teams that have become mafias and that manage much more money than they should have.

Mr. Skittles

Sports aren't meaningless. Every medic on your neightbourhood will tell you than in order to be healthy, u should do some kind of physical activities, and sports are the best choice. Sports not only keep u in shape, but also are very good stress-releasers, which means they help u being happier and healthier. They also strengthen the ability for teamworking, cognitive skills, endurance, among other things. It is also entertaining to watch them.

The only bad thing about sports, is that some of them, like Football, are too out of proportion, with teams that have become mafias and that manage much more money than they should have.

I agree. However pre-madonnas are to blame for this.