• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can women take up Sanyas in Sanatana Dharma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleroma

philalethist
Eligible for moksha?! Oh, I don't know! Why don't we just ask the numerous ladies that authored many sukta-s of the Rgveda?

The Jain Digambaras certainly thought it that way. According to them a woman will not receive moksha. Even in Hinduism Sanyas was not given for women.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
The Jain Digambaras certainly thought it that way. According to them a woman will not receive moksha. Even in Hinduism Sanyas was not given for women.
That which is privy to the Digambara-s, though Bharatiya in origin, should not be conflated with the Astika IMHO. And regarding sanyas, I only partially agree that it was not granted to the womenfolk. In other words, sanyasin-s were largely male---yes. But it wasn't something where an ecclesiastical body banned women sanyasin-s, since that which is "Hinduism" fortunately lacks such an organized credal body. Think more along the lines of socio-cultural realities. Either way, Meera Bai, for example, was quite the sanyasin, wouldn't you say?

Pleroma

philalethist
Jainism isn't Hinduism. Also, why don't you think women can attain Moksha?

Jainism is part of Sanatana Dharma. Moskha requires Sanyas dharma but according to tradition it is forbidden to give Sanyas to women and hence for them there is no salvation. They either have to reborn again as males or choose an alternative route to moksha without Sanyas.

Chakra

Premium Member
You know, Buddhism is also a part of Sanatana Dharma. I suppose their views are also equally valid in all aspects.

Anyway, in response to your question, women are eligible for moksha (they have to be) though I'm not sure if they are allowed to be sanyassins. If anyone can name a couple of female sanyassins, then I would be corrected.

I don't know where the idea of Sanyaas=Moksha comes from.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
@Pleroma

If I'm not mistaken, didn't you recently claim that anyone who doesn't hold the Vedas as authoritative ( which includes Jainism) is an "enemy" of Hinduism? Or is that only reserved for Buddhists?

Regardless, like Fireside, I find this overall question to be absurd. Likewise, I see no reason to see you as anything other than a troll.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Jainism is part of Sanatana Dharma.

So let me get this straight: Jainism is in, whereas Buddhism is not?

You do know that no other Dharmic belief system has been as virulently anti-Vedic as the Jaina schools, right?

A quick glimpse at numerous Jaina texts details this fact quite vividly.

Therefore, I must ask: What's your beef with Buddhism, a Dharmic system of schools that has largely been fond of that which is Vedic---often plainly expressing its admiration of the "learned ones" (i.e., the brAhmaNa-s)?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Of course they can. But nobody can traditionally take up sannyas on their own. They have to be initiated into sannyas by a sannyasin. Again, it varies greatly from school to school, as some teachers would think it unwise, especially if it means too much mixing of genders in any kind of close proximity.

This gives more information. Yogini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pleroma

philalethist
@Pleroma

If I'm not mistaken, didn't you recently claim that anyone who doesn't hold the Vedas as authoritative ( which includes Jainism) is an "enemy" of Hinduism? Or is that only reserved for Buddhists?

Of course Jains and Buddhists who reject the Vedas are enemies of Hinduism. Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism are all part of Sanatana Dharma in the sense that they all belong to the Asian tradition. Hinduism is one of the traditions of Sanatana Dharma.

Regardless, like Fireside, I find this overall question to be absurd. Likewise, I see no reason to see you as anything other than a troll.

Well, its not my problem if some ignorant Hindus do not know that.

Shrila Prabhupada comments on Women Sannyasinis

The Vedic rishis did not gave Sanyas for women and with no Sanyas there is no moksha for them. If you call me a troll again I am going to report it.

Chakra

Premium Member
Of course Jains and Buddhists who reject the Vedas are enemies of Hinduism. Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism are all part of Sanatana Dharma in the sense that they all belong to the Asian tradition. Hinduism is one of the traditions of Sanatana Dharma.

Why not use terms like the Indic religions or Indian religions? They all originated in India.

Shrila Prabhupada comments on Women Sannyasinis

The Vedic rishis did not gave Sanyas for women and with no Sanyas there is no moksha for them. If you call me a troll again I am going to report it.

Just because you don't have Sanyaas doesn't mean you don't get Moksha. Where is the verse from scripture that says that? The idea itself is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jainism is part of Sanatana Dharma. Moskha requires Sanyas dharma but according to tradition it is forbidden to give Sanyas to women and hence for them there is no salvation. They either have to reborn again as males or choose an alternative route to moksha without Sanyas.
Though they claim to be a different religion, I love Jainism, and if they are not a part of Sanatan Dharma, then, they also are not far from it. But in Jainism, women can and do take sannyasa and therefore, get Moksha also. NOW WHAT THAT YOUR CLAIMS HAVE BEEN DEMOLISHED?

Jain Sadhvis (white clothes), Hindu Sadhvis (Ritambara, Pragya), the last two are members of Modi cabinet (Uma Bharti, Niranjan Jyoti)

Attachments

• sadhvis.jpg
    sadhvis.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Sadhvi2.jpg
    Sadhvi2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 145
  • sadhvis1.jpg
    sadhvis1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Sadhvi3.jpg
    Sadhvi3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Sadhvi4.jpg
    Sadhvi4.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 148
  • sadhvi 5.jpg
    sadhvi 5.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This is a mistake (Jain Dharma). The Sky-Clad or those renounced Jains who walk about naked (thus Sky Clad or Digambara) do not think women should walk about naked, it is male ascetics and yogis who do so, and in this sect you must practice this to go into moksha state IN THIS LIFE. The other sect of Jainism, Svetambara or White Clad sect, does not agree because they are not demanding nakedness for moksha IN THIS LIFETIME. These are the Jains you see wearing white - you may see the White Clad also wearing face mask over mouth.

Now let me quote a source from India regarding women and being saintly leaders in Jain Dharma (below). It does not matter that SOME in the Sky Clad say you MUST go naked to have MOKSHA IN THIS LIFE (while still alive, not waiting until you die or go to heaven) but that women CANNOT go naked and thus have to wait until death. NOT all Jains agree you must go naked, also read this:

"One of the most striking features of Jainism is its recognition of women as legitimate soteriological agents in its fourfold division of society (caturvidhasangha), into sadhus, sadhvis, shraviks and shravikas. The two former categories are the ascetics and the two latter, the male and female laity. Even more startling is the visible preponderance of the female ascetics over the male ascetics. Sources such as the Kalpasutra clearly state that on Mahavira’s death, the tirtha that he had founded contained a body of female ascetics that was two and a half times as large as the number of male ascetics and the lay community contained twice as many laywomen as laymen."

I sometimes go to the Jain Temple in Milpitas California, I can tell you the top leaders in White Clad are women, very nice looking too.

As for Hindu and Sanyasa, I disagree that women cannot take Sanyas, but it is late now and I have to go to bed. So I might take this up layer. But let me just say, it is possible.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I feel sorry for the young girls who take sannyasa in Jainism. They are from well-to-do families. They are sent decked as brides. Diksha is very hard. After abandoning all their finery they will tear off their hair by hand during the ritual. But that is my view. They are doing what they think is right.

Jain women who became sadhvis. Some of them were living outside India:
Jain-Diksha.jpg
VEPVVHI-W165_GK_27_1380018e.jpg
Sadhvi-to-be-Manali-Rathod-being-taken-in-a-procession-in-the-city-today.jpg
bride.jpg
23e10va002pune.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.