• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we prove Christ never married ???

SoyLeche

meh...
The difference between a murderer and a single person is one is a sin and the other is not, especially if the opporunity to marry is not given to you.

Many will marry in the next life, including Christ, but for whatever reason, they will remain single in this life. Christ could not relate to their sufferings if he did not personally suffer the shame and temptations associated with this, it not being a sin, therefore he personally was required not to marry in this life, as are many others in this life, for whatever reasons we do not fully understand..
What about the shame associated with being a homosexual? Or physically handicapped? Or too short? Or too tall? Or too smart? Or too dumb? Or unattractive? Or having the only thing anyone sees about you is your attractiveness?

Like I said - you are grasping at straws.

gmelrod

Resident Heritic
What about the shame associated with being a homosexual? Or physically handicapped? Or too short? Or too tall? Or too smart? Or too dumb? Or unattractive? Or having the only thing anyone sees about you is your attractiveness?

You can add to this the pain of lossing a child or having your wife die before your eyes. I would think that these would be more severe and completlypains than the social stigma of not being married.

FFH

Veteran Member

1) Homosexuality = sin (Christ suffered the anxiety, guilt and shame of sin)

2) Physically disabled - Christ showed the way out of disabilities, which was to have faith in him and you will be healed. There is no reason to stay disabled... Christ wants us all to be healed of whatever afflcts our mortal bodies...

3) Too short, too tall, unattractive - "There is no beauty that we should desire him"

4) Too dumb - Christ said we are given weaknesses so that we will humble ourselves, and if we pray and ask for help and humble ourselves, weak things will become strong unto us. This falls into the healing catagory, which Christ has shown we are not to stay in a state of stupidity or physical disability.

I have experienced weak things becoming strong and disabilities being healed..

5) Too attractive - Please, seriously, this is not at all what suffering and shame is about... I was the most attractive male in my high school class with my picture, as a graduating student, with honors, on the front cover of the graduation program. I was smart and attractive and this is not what I would call suffering, but actually helped me obtain acceptance into BYU and the University of Utah and also helped me obtain every job I've ever applied for...

An unattractive person would much rather be attractive. We will all soon have perfect attractive bodies, this is a free gift to all. I have seen a male demon and a female angel and they both had extremely attractive faces..

Christ not being married is not a matter of faith with me, it has become knowledge, just as I know that the Book of Mormon was translated from "gold" plates, I know that Christ never married, just looking for scriptural evidence of this, just as we would look for evidence that the "gold" plates existed..

SoyLeche

meh...
You can add to this the pain of lossing a child or having your wife die before your eyes. I would think that these would be more severe and completlypains than the social stigma of not being married.
Or having your wife run off with another man. There are any number of "shames" and "pains" that Christ did not suffer in his life. In the Garden and on the Cross are other matters entirely though.

SoyLeche

meh...
1) Homosexuality = sin (Christ suffered the anxiety, guilt and shame of sin)
Homosexual attraction = not sin
2) Physically disabled - Christ showed the way out of disabilities, which was to have faith in him and you will be healed. There is no reason to stay disabled... Christ wants us all to be healed of whatever afflcts our mortal bodies...
He also wants us all to be married
3) Too short, too tall, unattractive - "There is no beauty that we should desire him"

4) Too dumb - Christ said we are given weaknesses so that we will humble ourselves and weak things will become strong unto us. This falls into the healing catagory, which Christ has shown we are not to stay in a state of stupidity or physical disability.

I have experienced weak things becoming strong and disabilities being healed..
Doesn't change the fact that it can be "shameful"
5) Too attractive - Please, seriously, this is not at all what suffering and shame is about... I was the most attractive male in my high school class with my picture, as a graduating student, with honors, on the front cover of the graduation program. I was smart and attractive and this is not what I would call suffering, but actually helped me obtain acceptance into BYU and the University of Utah and also helped me obtain every job I've ever applied for...

An unnatractive person would much rather be attractive. We will all soon have perfect attractive bodies, this is a free gift to all. I have seen a male demon and a female angel and they both had extremely attractive faces..
Pat yourself on the back a little. For some people being "too attractive" is painful.
Christ not being married is not a matter of faith with me, it has become knowledge, just as I know the that the Book of Mormon was translated from "gold" plates, I know that Christ never married, just looking for scriptural evidence of this, just as we would look for evidence that the "gold" plates existed...
Well, so far you haven't been able to come up with anything that even aproaches "evidence". Go ahead and keep trying though - I do not believe you will be able to succeed though.

gmelrod

Resident Heritic
Still you said that Christ had to feel every pain. Did he see a child die before his eyes? That must be a pain unlike any other.

More pains for the list
Molestation
Shame of sinning
guilt of infidelity
survivors guilt
agony of mental illness

FFH

Veteran Member
Homosexual attraction = not sin
Yes it is. It is a chosen response.
He also wants us all to be married
Yes, but many will not have that opportunity in this life, for whatever reason.

Pat yourself on the back a little. For some people being "too attractive" is painful
Being attractive has nothing to do with me or my abbilities or something I've done and is not a trial. Only pointing out that I know what it's like to be attractive and it's not a trial. Those who say it is are just being vain.. "Oh, it's such a trial being soooo attractive" ..that's so untrue.. Being attractive has helped me in my life not hurt me.

Well, so far you haven't been able to come up with anything that even aproaches "evidence". Go ahead and keep trying though - I do not believe you will be able to succeed though.
Probably not, this will remain a matter of faith, just as many other points of Christ's ministry and gospel...

For some reason Christ wanted this aspect of his life to be debated and studied, rather than coming right out and saying he was not married..

FFH

Veteran Member
You can thank God for making Homosexuality genetic and irreversible.
We are either male or female with attractions to the opposite sex.
Homosexuality is a learned response to the same sex, which can be broken, overcome with obedience to God's principles.

A sin that can be overcome.

SoyLeche

meh...
For some reason Christ wanted this aspect of his life to be debated and studied, rather than coming right out and saying he was not married..
Most likely because it is unimportant - and he possibly wanted to protect his wife from discussions like this (see my sig line :) - yup, I'm guilty)

UnTheist

We are either male or female with attractions to the opposite sex.
Homosexuality is a learned response to the same sex, which can be broken, overcome with obedience to God's principles.

A sin that can be overcome.
Sorry. There has not been one successful conversion. Ever.

Your wishes don't change the fact that it has been proven unchangeable.

FFH

Veteran Member
Still you said that Christ had to feel every pain. Did he see a child die before his eyes? That must be a pain unlike any other.
Christ raised a child, Jairus's daughter and Lazarus. Christ shed tears when he found out Lazarus had died, so obviously he was a very close friend of Christ's.

Christ is the resurrection and the life...

More pains for the list
Molestation
Shame of sinning
guilt of infidelity
survivors guilt
agony of mental illness
Molestation
Christ had to be a pure sacrifice, but I'm sure he experienced the pains of someone who had been molested.. He bore it all in one form or another..., but actual sins he could not be a part of...

Being married or not married is not a sin of course and he was required to be an example of one who was single in his prime and yet did not sin in any way...

Shame of sinning, guilt of infidelity
Christ experienced this, without sinning

Survivor's guilt
Lazarus must have been a very close friend of Christs, because he shed tears at his death.

Agony of mental illness
Christ experienced this in the Garden of Gethsemane

FFH

Veteran Member
What about my posts? There were pains that Christ did not suffer. Where did he lose a child?
Sorry, good points, had to go to work and just posted a response while at work.

Good points...

Does Christ know the pains of losing a child? He does know the pain of losing a loved one or being seperated from loved ones when he died on the cross and whos to say he did not feel the pains of losing a child, while in the Garden of Gethsemane, where he suffered anquish and anxiety of all kinds.

There is also no mention of his father as being present at the time of his crucifixion, so many have suggested he had already passed away...

Christ knew the pains of losing loved ones and being seperated from family, temporarlily at the time of his death...

We will all be reunited with loved ones when we all pass onto the next life...

Death is only a temporary seperation, of which Christ is familiar with the sorrows and sufferings of being seperated from loved ones due to death...

FFH

Veteran Member
Most likely because it is unimportant - and he possibly wanted to protect his wife from discussions like this (see my sig line :) - yup, I'm guilty)
True, I would have concealed my wifes name also,if I were Christ, so that it would not be misused in a bad way in the future, just as we reason within LDS circles, that God chose not to reveal our heavenly mother's name, so it would not be blasphemed.....but just mentioning a wife would not allow one to blashpeme her name, we would just know that he had a wife...which he did not..

If this were true then the same logic should apply to Christ's mother Mary and her father Joseph, so their names could be kept sacred...

Christ's wife would have benn mentioned in scripture, if he had one..

There is a record of the wifes of the most important figures in scripture, then why not Christ's, being the central figure of scripture?

Because he was never married.

SoyLeche

meh...
If this were true then the same logic should apply to Christ's mother Mary and her father Joseph, so their names could be kept sacred...
Ah, but the Virgin Birth was an important aspect. His marriage, not so much.
Christ's wife would have benn mentioned in scripture, if he had one..
We've gone over that one many, many times. Again, I see it as grasping at straws. I believe it is more likely that something about it would be mentioned if he wasn't married. Either way, an argument from silence is pretty useless.
There is a record of the wifes of the most important figures in scripture, then why not Christ's, being the central figure of scripture?

Because he was never married.
No there isn't. The wives are usually only mentioned if they are important to the story. For example, we only know about Peter's wife as a side note. We arent' told of any of the other Apostles' wives, but I doubt you believe that Peter was the only one who was married.

We are only told of one wife in the Book of Mormon.

FFH

Veteran Member
Ah, but the Virgin Birth was an important aspect.
I agree and without the knowledge we have of Mary and Joseph the whole story would collapse...
His marriage, not so much.
That's just it, if Christ had been married he would not be accepted as one who had "borne our griefs and carried our sorrows". The same would apply if Jesus had been rich or attractive. He would not be relatable to the poor and disfigured. "There is no beauty that we should desire him" "The Son of man hath nowhere to lay his head" That scripture alone suggests he had no wife either.. What wife would put up with having no home...

If I was single, poor, unattractive, etc. and Christ had been married, rich and attractive, would he be relatable to me as the savior who had borne my greifs and sorrows?

Christ has descended below all things; poverty, loneliness, physical pains of all kinds, mental pains of all kinds such as guilt, shame, anxiety, etc...

If Christ had enjoyed all the blessings of this life, like a home, family, riches, etc. it would less likely that people would accept him as the Messiah who had borne their griefs and sorrows...

There are 39 basic diseases that plague us as humans. Christ took 39 stripes on his body for each disease. This has been documented on the Shroud of Turin.

"With his stripes we are healed"

A whip with 3 seperate ropes or pieces of leather, with 3 small spiked lead balls were used to flog his body 13 times, resulting in 39 stripes for each disease that plagues man..

"He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief"

Christ was very familiar with all the possible things this life causes to bring forth sadness and rejection in a person's life.

"we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not".

The wives are usually only mentioned if they are important to the story. For example, we only know about Peter's wife as a side note. We arent' told of any of the other Apostles' wives, but I doubt you believe that Peter was the only one who was married.
True, the wives are only mentionedby name if they play an important role in the scriptural account.

We are only told of one wife in the Book of Mormon.
Many other wives are spoken of in the Book of Mormon, just not by name, but they are mentioned.

FFH

Veteran Member
Bible verses would be nice. :)
I'm basing most of what I've recently said on these two chapters which are identical...

King James
Isaiah 53

Book of Mormon
Mosiah 14

Here's an example:

"He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him there is no beauty that we should desire him."

My avatar is a photo of Christ taken at the time of his resurrection, when his image was burned into the Shroud of Turin.

The image we portray Christ to be, is inaccurate...

If he had no form nor comeliness, and there was no beauty that we should desire him, then why do we portray him as handsom ??? He has a resurrected body, and will appear to us in perfect immortal human form, but on earth he was anything but that.