• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we compromise on abortion?

Ponder This

No, I didn't. No one said anything about killing babies.
Oh, that's right... you don't believe that an abortion is killing.
Your argument is that:
Mothers in their third trimester want to have their babies because the mothers that do not want to have their babies have already had them aborted earlier in their pregnancies. Therefore, they should be allowed to freely abort their babies in the third trimester. Is that accurate?

The Bible agrees that it is not killing. Though it appears antiabortionists did change the interpretation of one key verse some time after Roe v Wade. Science appears to agree, at least when it comes to mental capability. A blastosphere, embryo, or fetus is only a possibility. It is not a life.
Sounds interesting... Quote me some scripture!
Science has long struggled to define what life is.
As for the brain... It is known that the fetal brain begins to develop during the third week of pregnancy. Usually in the 4th or 5th week of preganancy, the first electrical brain activity occurs. There are significant cortical brain developments in the third trimester. It is also known that the brain continues to develop until around 25 years after birth. The brain structures that process pain are sufficiently mature at around 13 weeks into the pregnancy.
Blastosphere is an early stage of development at around 8 days into a pregnancy. Embryo has a more flexible meaning, but the embryonic stage lasts from about 3 weeks until 8 weeks into the pregnancy. Fetus also has a flexible meaning but biologically refers to the stage after about the 8th week of pregnancy.
Of course, we all know that if you remove a fetus in early development from the womb... it dies soon after. Once it is dead, it can't be put back into the womb to continue developing because... it is D E A D, dead, as opposed to living.

No, it was a serious question. You appear to want to violate the right to bodily autonomy. But you would not allow the same to happen to you.
You are trying to be provocative but avoid presenting an argument. A person can cut herself within reason, but at the moment that she decides to inflict real long lasting harm upon herself or another, she has crossed into the the realm of being someone who is a danger to herself and/or others.

No, you do not get to claim that. Especially if the fault is your own. Did you see how poorly you opened your post? That indicates that you may not want to understand, which would mean that the fault was yours not mine.
What "fault"? Why is someone at fault here? In what way, did I open my post poorly?
the antiabortionists tried to ban the abortion drugs is so that they could continue in the false narratives that they use in their arguments
It sounds like you don't want to talk about your claim.

You have to know by now Supreme Court justices lied in their interviews about Roe v Wade. Three of then clearly lied and the other three were dishonestly vague:

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/03/1096...o-conservative-justices-confirmation-hearings
I read the article. Did you? The article you linked gives information on what the Justices said in their confirmation hearings... there were no lies in what they said. The claim of lying was made by two Democratic leaders. Unfortunately, the link in the article gave a 404. Who are these two democratic leaders? I think it is referring to House Representatives Ted W. Lieu and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who wrote to Senator Schumer in 2022. They claim that Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh lied. Of course, neither Ted W. Lieu nor Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez were on the Senate (the Senate confirms Justices). I will note, however, that Senator Manchin did vote to confirm Gorsuch and Kavanaugh and Joe Manchin said: "I trusted Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe V. Wade was settled legal precedent and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans."
“As a Catholic, I was raised pro-life and will always consider myself pro-life. But I have come to accept that my definition of pro-life may not be someone else’s definition of pro-life. I believe that exceptions should be made in instances of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in jeopardy. But let me be clear, I support legislation that would codify the rights Roe v. Wade previously protected. I am hopeful Democrats and Republicans will come together to put forward a piece of legislation that would do just that.”
That does indicate that Joe Manchin thought that Roe vs Wade was settled law to such an extent that he would pass legislation opposing his own beliefs... Is Joe Manchin ...*gasp*... a liar?
You've been drawn into the polarized political theatre of the abortion issue. You want to believe that the Justices lied. You can't accept that they evaluated the precedent for what it was, realized it was a bad decision, and overturned it.

Gorsuch said (about precedent): "It is the starting place for a judge."
Kavanaugh said: "Judges do not make decisions to reach a preferred result. Judges make decisions because the law and the Constitution as we see them compel the results"
"I listen to all arguments," he said. "You have an open mind. You get the briefs and arguments. And some arguments are better than others. Precedent is critically important. It is the foundation of our system. But you listen to all arguments."

Why so early? It appears that you do not want to try to justify the unjustifiable.
The vast majority of miscarriages occur early. I'm not trying to justify abortion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, that's right... you don't believe that an abortion is killing.
Your argument is that:
Mothers in their third trimester want to have their babies because the mothers that do not want to have their babies have already had them aborted earlier in their pregnancies. Therefore, they should be allowed to freely abort their babies in the third trimester. Is that accurate?

Sounds interesting... Quote me some scripture!
Science has long struggled to define what life is.
As for the brain... It is known that the fetal brain begins to develop during the third week of pregnancy. Usually in the 4th or 5th week of preganancy, the first electrical brain activity occurs. There are significant cortical brain developments in the third trimester. It is also known that the brain continues to develop until around 25 years after birth. The brain structures that process pain are sufficiently mature at around 13 weeks into the pregnancy.
Blastosphere is an early stage of development at around 8 days into a pregnancy. Embryo has a more flexible meaning, but the embryonic stage lasts from about 3 weeks until 8 weeks into the pregnancy. Fetus also has a flexible meaning but biologically refers to the stage after about the 8th week of pregnancy.
Of course, we all know that if you remove a fetus in early development from the womb... it dies soon after. Once it is dead, it can't be put back into the womb to continue developing because... it is D E A D, dead, as opposed to living.

You are trying to be provocative but avoid presenting an argument. A person can cut herself within reason, but at the moment that she decides to inflict real long lasting harm upon herself or another, she has crossed into the the realm of being someone who is a danger to herself and/or others.

What "fault"? Why is someone at fault here? In what way, did I open my post poorly?

It sounds like you don't want to talk about your claim.

I read the article. Did you? The article you linked gives information on what the Justices said in their confirmation hearings... there were no lies in what they said. The claim of lying was made by two Democratic leaders. Unfortunately, the link in the article gave a 404. Who are these two democratic leaders? I think it is referring to House Representatives Ted W. Lieu and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who wrote to Senator Schumer in 2022. They claim that Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh lied. Of course, neither Ted W. Lieu nor Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez were on the Senate (the Senate confirms Justices). I will note, however, that Senator Manchin did vote to confirm Gorsuch and Kavanaugh and Joe Manchin said: "I trusted Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe V. Wade was settled legal precedent and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans."
“As a Catholic, I was raised pro-life and will always consider myself pro-life. But I have come to accept that my definition of pro-life may not be someone else’s definition of pro-life. I believe that exceptions should be made in instances of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in jeopardy. But let me be clear, I support legislation that would codify the rights Roe v. Wade previously protected. I am hopeful Democrats and Republicans will come together to put forward a piece of legislation that would do just that.”
That does indicate that Joe Manchin thought that Roe vs Wade was settled law to such an extent that he would pass legislation opposing his own beliefs... Is Joe Manchin ...*gasp*... a liar?
You've been drawn into the polarized political theatre of the abortion issue. You want to believe that the Justices lied. You can't accept that they evaluated the precedent for what it was, realized it was a bad decision, and overturned it.

Gorsuch said (about precedent): "It is the starting place for a judge."
Kavanaugh said: "Judges do not make decisions to reach a preferred result. Judges make decisions because the law and the Constitution as we see them compel the results"
"I listen to all arguments," he said. "You have an open mind. You get the briefs and arguments. And some arguments are better than others. Precedent is critically important. It is the foundation of our system. But you listen to all arguments."

The vast majority of miscarriages occur early. I'm not trying to justify abortion.
Pick a topic. This conversation is all over the place.

Watchmen

Premium Member
We must compromise on abortion and move on (like most other countries have done). My vote would be elective abortions permissible in first trimester only; after that, must be medically necessary for the mother.

Ponder This

We must compromise on abortion and move on (like most other countries have done). My vote would be elective abortions permissible in first trimester only; after that, must be medically necessary for the mother.
I would avoid voting simply to compromise, but I think do think this is a likely result with exceptions, of course, and subject to regulation.