• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can violence be healthy?

I am NOT talking about killing.

Isn't human nature to be violent, to attack, to be angry? Fighting these tendencies can lead to built up anger that can lead up to a more severe force of violence. So is a fight between friends, sometimes for no reason, can be a healthy experience to get out that anger?

I think it is. Periodically me and my friends will have bare knuckled fights in a tournament style. That is whenever we actually are all around. We fight without hate, but we fight with anger. I mean when someone hits you, you get ******.

That being said i have a couple of really good friends that seem to constantly get into bar fights. It has alot to do with jealousy on the other side of the table. I always seem to have to back them up. Some of the time someone will make a joke about one of us or a girl we are with. Sometimes they will pour beer on a girls head any girls head. Is this pride or is it justified? Or both?

finalfrogo

TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:

Isn't human nature to be violent, to attack, to be angry? Fighting these tendencies can lead to built up anger that can lead up to a more severe force of violence. So is a fight between friends, sometimes for no reason, can be a healthy experience to get out that anger?

I think it is. Periodically me and my friends will have bare knuckled fights in a tournament style. That is whenever we actually are all around. We fight without hate, but we fight with anger. I mean when someone hits you, you get ******.

That being said i have a couple of really good friends that seem to constantly get into bar fights. It has alot to do with jealousy on the other side of the table. I always seem to have to back them up. Some of the time someone will make a joke about one of us or a girl we are with. Sometimes they will pour beer on a girls head any girls head. Is this pride or is it justified? Or both?

Violence only leads to more violence; just look at the Middle East. True, it's not right to bottle up emotions, but there are better ways to express them than beating the sh** out of somebody.

Booko

Deviled Hen

No.

Anger is still a negative emotion, and it has its effects on you and your friends.

Goodness knows, you couldn't just speak your minds about what's bugging you and resolve the problem?

Most problems come from a lack of communication.

Fighting and ignoring the differences do nothing to communicate.

That being said i have a couple of really good friends that seem to constantly get into bar fights. It has alot to do with jealousy on the other side of the table.

Jealousy is an emotion that will eat you alive, and I run like hell from anyone that exhibits that particular emotion. There's a reason the 10th commandment about not coveting is there. Really.

I always seem to have to back them up. Some of the time someone will make a joke about one of us or a girl we are with. Sometimes they will pour beer on a girls head any girls head. Is this pride or is it justified? Or both?

Why would you want to encourage the bad side of your friends? Is that being a real friend?

And since you asked about the behaviour, it's childish, hurtful, and for all I know might even be despicable.

I can't imagine someone would get many girls with a decent self-image to hang around, if this is how they act.

Violence only leads to more violence; just look at the Middle East. True, it's not right to bottle up emotions, but there are better ways to express them than beating the sh** out of somebody.

Good point. I do allow myself other outlets. I guess its just a drunken mistake. Arguments are more damaging psychologically I often have a quick forked tongue, mainly with people I can't hit. I other issues of why I fight as well. I should probably work on those.

What of the other where we are still good friends after words?

"Anger is still a negative emotion, and it has its effects on you and your friends.

Goodness knows, you couldn't just speak your minds about what's bugging you and resolve the problem?

Most problems come from a lack of communication."

Its simply something to see who is tougher.

No my friends don't pour beer on girls heads. Another guy will.

I have to back these guys up they have been there for me through thick and thin. Through bad times and good times.

Jealousy is an emotion that will eat you alive, and I run like hell from anyone that exhibits that particular emotion. There's a reason the 10th commandment about not coveting is there. Really.

Jeaslously "from the other side of the table" from another guy...

WARTORIOUS

Can violence be healthy? well I believe so. good exercise, release of inebriations and anger, makes you stronger and more skilled (baby tigers and most young mammals fight to be better at fighting, hunting, agility, strength and generally are healthier)

aggression and determination are signs of many great men and women, and fighting encourages that, it encourages competition and may make you better in later life.

finalfrogo

Good point. I do allow myself other outlets. I guess its just a drunken mistake. Arguments are more damaging psychologically I often have a quick forked tongue, mainly with people I can't hit. I other issues of why I fight as well. I should probably work on those.

Yeah... I haven't physically attacked anyone before, but I can be hot-tempered when the moment presents itself. I just get angry when people get angry, because I don't like it when people fuss of stupid little things, which everybody does! Somebody started at yelling at me today over a neglible topic, and I just exploded!

What of the other where we are still good friends after words?

Sorry, but I'm confused. What do you mean?

finalfrogo

WARTORIOUS said:
Can violence be healthy? well I believe so. good exercise, release of inebriations and anger, makes you stronger and more skilled (baby tigers and most young mammals fight to be better at fighting, hunting, agility, strength and generally are healthier)

aggression and determination are signs of many great men and women, and fighting encourages that, it encourages competition and may make you better in later life.
Wait, what fighting are we talking here? Are we talking heated arguments or judo-chopping somebody in the face?

Maybe with a bunch of tigers, fighting is good, but encouraging fighting and aggression in the real, modern world won't bring anyone success... it will only aid in the accumulation of enemies! There are other ways to access determination, confidence, and assertiveness.

finalfrogo

The tournament style bare knuckle boxing it has nothing to do with differences.

Just pure test of toughness.

If we're talking about that, then no, I don't think that's conducive to anything.

megnetic

Maybe with a bunch of tigers, fighting is good, but encouraging fighting and aggression in the real, modern world won't bring anyone success... it will only aid in the accumulation of enemies! There are other ways to access determination, confidence, and assertiveness.

how is the real modern world different from tigers? i'm not sure that we can separate ourselves from them with an imaginary timeline... it kinda falls into the trap of calling certain things and people "primitive". everything is here, now. we delineate everything to understand it in a way, but if that delineation becomes definition then i think it can create problems. how many people still think of african art as "primitive"???? like they are less evolved than us. HELL NO!

anyway, ive been thinking about this question a lot myself. especially after seeing some of the film on netflix, hobo with a shotgun. the violence is so intense, yet it makes an interesting look at society inside a crazy violent context, and is very realistic, like this could be a possibility. the thing is, violence in play can be good, as the tigers are fighting in play, not to kill each other. but in anger? i think it only begets further violent repercussions. unfortunately, those repercussions continue, and if we don't react violently sometimes, they could possibly take over? for example, china's rather violent regime in tibet -- they believe in being peaceful, but they are being wiped out in that way. if you try to hug someone coming to kill your family, i'm not sure it will deter them.
perhaps resistance to violence and viewing ones self as not being violent is another form of repression,, which begets violence in others at a fiercer state?
a lot of violence is reactionary to things that do not exist. imaginary constructs such as poverty, scarcity, money, power, and beauty create friction points where clashes occur unnecessarily. what are we fighting about globally? there are the ones going for monopoly over resources, and then those reacting and trying to protect their resources and their autonomy. a lot of the other issues are byproducts of this basic struggle.
anyway, just some thoughts. hope to hear back from yall, agree or disagree, this is a worthwhile conversation.

Walkntune

Its better to control feelings then let them control you.

Barcode

Good question.

Well, we humans enjoy boxing, UFC, Football (American style) Rugby, Basketball, to name a few, all of them ranging from mildly violent to extremely violent. What makes them healthy at least in the professional sense is they offer visual pleasure which is reasonably healthy. I think the exersion of pent up energy and released in something that provides enjoyment tobself and others is good, compared to those who do it for just violent reasons.

Straw Dog

I would said parts of human nature are prone to violence and anger. I also think nature is prone to possibilities so that human nature can tend toward different paths of action. I would say as long as its a consensual fight with both parties having some actually training in how to properly fight so has not to seriously injure or kill one another. I agree that it can be a form of transforming anger into positive energy if the fighting is between two true friends.

This sounds more like backyard wrestling. Personally I'm not a fan of tournaments because they incite ego to win at whatever the cost. However if the aim of combat is to transform the anger and the ego into a natural machine, or "into the zone" as its called, then the aim isn't to win at whatever the cost but rather the physical movements of the actions themselves. The focus isn't on the tournament brackets but the sensation of pain, concentration, and flow. Although perhaps you guys might want to consider using heavily padded gloves of some kind haha.

It's one thing if you incite the violence and another thing if a different party does. You obviously need to defend yourself. The best tactic is to become better at using words. Make them look like the foolish ones. Incite the crowd against them or enlist the bar tenders' aid. Make the room the same as the self. Tell jokes at their expense. Only the foolish get physical. If a specific bar happens to always have these overly-aggressive alpha males, maybe you should stop going. Unless you want your dates to constantly get beer poured onto them.