• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can vaccinated people still spread COVID-19?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Map: Track the spread of the Covid-19 variants across the United States

Capture.JPG

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
agreed

and with that in mind

I think we will face the threat

what we are doing now only pushes the event further down the calendar
and when it arrives the event will be more devastating

Not really. The more likely scenario is that people will need an annual vaccination tailored to the latest variants. This is exactly what happens with the annual flu jab given to older people in many countries.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not really. The more likely scenario is that people will need an annual vaccination tailored to the latest variants. This is exactly what happens with the annual flu jab given to older people in many countries.
excuse me......

the little bugger is already mutating faster than the scientists can work

and no......we have never been able to outrun the common cold

and THIS item is quicker

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
excuse me......

the little bugger is already mutating faster than the scientists can work

and no......we have never been able to outrun the common cold

and THIS item is quicker

They reckon the current vaccines will be effective against the emerging variants. And if not, the current vaccines could be "adjusted" quite quickly - though producing it in the large quantities required would be difficult.

What are you suggesting though - just give up trying to suppress the virus and let it rip?

McBell

People who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus -- right now that means with two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine -- can skip quarantine if they are exposed to someone infected with the virus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

That doesn't mean they should stop taking precautions, the CDC noted in updated guidance. It's just not necessary for them to quarantine.

"Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19," the CDC said in updates to its web page with guidance on vaccination.
More information here:
Fully vaccinated people can skip Covid quarantines, CDC says - CNN

McBell

The variant originally identified in Britain, called B.1.1.7, has been spreading rapidly across the United States, and accounts for at least 2,500 cases in 46 states. This form of the virus is both more contagious and more deadly than the original version, and it is expected to account for most U.S. infections in a few weeks.

The new version that surfaced in Oregon has the same backbone, but also a mutation — E484K, or “Eek” — seen in variants of the virus circulating in South Africa, Brazil and New York City.

Lab studies and clinical trials in South Africa indicate that the Eek mutation renders the current vaccines less effective by blunting the body’s immune response. (The vaccines still work, but the findings are worrying enough that Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna have begun testing new versions of their vaccines designed to defeat the variant found in South Africa.)
In Oregon, Scientists Find a Virus Variant With a Worrying Mutation

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m considering the vaccine. My family members more than not are getting vaccinated. I’ve heard some compelling arguments for it. One of them is that we’ll likely be able to dispense with masks, loosen restrictions, and return to some semblance of normal. I heard this from my own doctor.

On the other hand I hear we don’t know if and when, mostly IF we can ever dispense with the masks. How will we know if and when we’re “safe”? What is the acceptable number of cases before we can return to normal? How will we know this effort isn’t for naught?

I’m willing to give it a shot, but I have my misgivings about it’s effectiveness. Can we guarantee that when I am immunized, and I remove my mask (assuming I can), I won’t become ill? Though in a year I’ve worn a mask and been a good soldier, not had so much as a sniffle. Is it not safe to say I haven’t passed the virus on, if I even carry it? I have two assumptions: 1. the masks work; 2. I’m lucky as hell. Do I know the vaccine will work?

Simple question: what can I expect, and why? I’m not looking for debate or debate-like answers or snark, or conjecture, or “when you know someone on a ventilator”. I’m asking questions to help me justify getting the vaccine.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m considering the vaccine. My family members more than not are getting vaccinated. I’ve heard some compelling arguments for it. One of them is that we’ll likely be able to dispense with masks, loosen restrictions, and return to some semblance of normal. I heard this from my own doctor.

On the other hand I hear we don’t know if and when, mostly IF we can ever dispense with the masks. How will we know if and when we’re “safe”? What is the acceptable number of cases before we can return to normal? How will we know this effort isn’t for naught?

I’m willing to give it a shot, but I have my misgivings about it’s effectiveness. Can we guarantee that when I am immunized, and I remove my mask (assuming I can), I won’t become ill? Though in a year I’ve worn a mask and been a good soldier, not had so much as a sniffle. Is it not safe to say I haven’t passed the virus on, if I even carry it? I have two assumptions: 1. the masks work; 2. I’m lucky as hell. Do I know the vaccine will work?

Simple question: what can I expect, and why? I’m not looking for debate or debate-like answers or snark, or conjecture, or “when you know someone on a ventilator”. I’m asking questions to help me justify getting the vaccine.

Personally, I'm listening to the updates, and the science. So far, even with the less effective vaccines, it seems they diminish the effect of the disease, even if you do get it. No vaccinated person has died, at least in Canada. Here in Alberta, 'my turn' will commence on or around March 15. I'll wait a few days until the mad rush of people my age is over, and then sign up. As for masks, the latest stuff I heard is that we'll be able to get rid of them too, eventually, once we're down to 0 or only a very few cases daily. With vaccination, I believe that will happen.

I also tried to send you a PM, but got blocked, so if you can PM me, I have another story to tell you. Don't worry, it's a good story.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I'm listening to the updates, and the science. So far, even with the less effective vaccines, it seems they diminish the effect of the disease, even if you do get it. No vaccinated person has died, at least in Canada. Here in Alberta, 'my turn' will commence on or around March 15. I'll wait a few days until the mad rush of people my age is over, and then sign up. As for masks, the latest stuff I heard is that we'll be able to get rid of them too, eventually, once we're down to 0 or only a very few cases daily. With vaccination, I believe that will happen.

I also tried to send you a PM, but got blocked, so if you can PM me, I have another story to tell you. Don't worry, it's a good story.

Great info, thanks. I’ll have to sit on the phone for at least an hour per my sister to get the appointment. But I’m kind of ready to do it. Speaker phone, my guitar set list, and I rock out while waiting.

I’ll PM you... no idea why you couldn’t get through. I know the software gets wonky sometimes. :shrug: Stand by.