• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can God time travel

jewscout

Religious Zionist
well if G-d is infinite then the restraints of space and time shouldn't matter...
of course then you get into the whole thing w/ the space-continueum, alternate dimensions and all the rest...it can be pretty heavy

Tawn

Essentially this means that God is everywhere all at once and at every moment all at once. I guess God wouldnt experience time the way we do..

Of course thats all hypothetical.. ;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well if you view time as the fourth dimension and the Divine is throughout the other three...then why not throughout the fourth?

Melody

Since God is not limited by human constraints, I don't see why not. I like Tawn's explanation and frubals to him.

Fluffy

A fool
If God is omnipotent then yes he can time travel.

I would prefer it if neither were the case though to be honest.

Well if you view time as the fourth dimension and the Divine is throughout the other three...then why not throughout the fourth?
I am wary about defining time as the fourth dimension because, whilst it is the case, it makes people wish to liken it to the other 3. The first 3 are spacial dimensions and, as such, share similar properties. Time is not and so viewing it as "just another dimension" is an error which comes about through the terminology used rather than from any scientific fact.

Now whether this difference is due to human perception, and therefore arbitary, or due to something more fundamental is a little harder to discern.

Essentially, because this thread is about time travel and not the fourth dimension, I think that it is totally possible for god to travel through time but this would prevent us from having free will. I do not think the two things can coexist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Im not sure. I feel there would be no reason to time travel. A minor alteration in the past could dramatically change the present, but if time travel is possible, then the alteration of the past has already happened, and nothing really is changed. Also, a change in the future could change the present when it gets to that future time.
I know its possible to use Reiki on someone in the future, although the Reiki is being used in the present. So it could be possible to time travel on the spiritual plane, but nothing could be changed unless you have become very powerful in astral magick. But I feel if someone tried to change the past, the gods would make sure something goes wrong so the past isn't changed.
The future isn't concrete, so I doubt it would be possible to see anything more than a cloudy image of the future. Many divination books will point out that divination is not a definate answer, but only a glimpse at the future. And what Tarot cards show will only occur if the same course of action is pursued.
I do feel strongly that man will never be able to time travel on the physical plane like some movies portray time travel.

This is an intersting question though.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Rex_Admin said:
wouldn't this be logically impossible?
then again we are talking about an all powerful divine being w/o limits....as many atheists and agnostics would say....whats logical about that?

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
Luke Wolf said:
Im not sure. I feel there would be no reason to time travel. A minor alteration in the past could dramatically change the present, but if time travel is possible, then the alteration of the past has already happened, and nothing really is changed. Also, a change in the future could change the present when it gets to that future time
I agree. If God's powers are all that people say it is he'd know what would happen in the future if a certain event was allowed to pass, so he'd change it in the present already so that he wouldn't have to do it later. So, in essance, he does...

This makes my head hurt... :(

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
:162: Well I don't know if God can time travel because I don't even know He exists in the first place. On the other hand, humans I know with certainty, will possess the technology to time travel. It's not impossible, only improbable at the moment. Time travel is a really easy concept if you think about it, it's just all of the paradoxes that are confusing.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
As others have noted ~ Since God is omni-everything, he doesn't need to time travel. He's already then and there :cool:

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
I do not believe that the question makes sense for God the father, since He exists outside of the bounds of space and time--as Snowbear says, he is already then and there. Also, according to relativity, in order to have a frame of reference with past, present and future, you would need to have a position in space. So God would have to be a physical object, like a tree or a person for the question to make sense.

However, it seems legitimate to ask could God time travel if He was incarnated as a human (such as Jesus Christ)?

To me, this question can only be answered by the following question: does the nature of spacetime allow time travel? If it does, then I believe God could. However, if it does not, then God would have to alter the nature of spacetime, in which case He would no longer be travelling in what we know as "time", but something different.

armageddon

i think that god wouldn't have a need for time and space travel. if you believe in THE god (whichever that may be) then there would be no need for time and space travel because he would have already finished writing his book of life in the stars on how all people to come and have come would and have lived.

devodave

If there was a god, I think it would be subject to natural law. If a god can break natural law, then that opens the door for all kinds of supernatural events such as ghosts, levitation and ESP. Which I do not think are possible.

Draka

Wonder Woman
aunggu2002 said:
:162: Well I don't know if God can time travel because I don't even know He exists in the first place. On the other hand, humans I know with certainty, will possess the technology to time travel. It's not impossible, only improbable at the moment. Time travel is a really easy concept if you think about it, it's just all of the paradoxes that are confusing.
It is that paradox thing that ends up biting this whole thing in the "end". The catch 22 is this...to time travel to the past anything you would do would affect the future...your present. If you were to go back to accomplish a goal it would never work...for the whole reason you went back in the first place was to correct or change something...if you did, then the problem wouldn't exist in your present to even make you want to go back...see what I'm getting at? Without the problem to make you go back you wouldn't go back...catch 22. :p Hell, it's hard to explain...just watch The Time Machine...it explains it very well.

Along those lines of thinking...wouldn't the same apply to a Divine? What I said earlier is that the Divine exists throughout all time...but as for traveling through time...assuming that is that we ARE the present time:bonk: ...wouldn't the same catch 22 apply?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I guess that you are all missing out on one point (which will obviously not apply to atheists) - but God created everything - and that would include time. Kind of makes the question 'Can God time travel' a bit redundant in my books:rolleyes:

cardero

Citizen Mod
I would think that GOD has a tremendous memory capacity and a cohesive insight rather than have to resort to such means as traveling through time. Besides, I cannot think of one reason why GOD would want to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
carrdero said:
I would think that GOD has a tremendous memory capacity and a cohesive insight rather than have to resort to such means as traveling through time. Besides, I cannot think of one reason why GOD would want to.
I'm with you on this one, Carrdero; besides, who would pack his suitcases ? - I'm sure he wouldn't have to do that himself. Maybe there's a saint of suitcase packing ?:bonk: