• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can god commit suicide?

Lisa S

"The chief consolation for Nature's shortcomings in regard to man is that not even God can do all things. For he cannot, even if he should so wish, commit suicide, which is the greatest advantage he has given man among all the great drawbacks of life" -Pliny the Elder

Thoughts?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sure He can:

I K(NOW) that once I decide to choose non-existence, I will take everything within MY image with it.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: This Is The End
Pg: 407

But would He?

I wouldn't end my own existence unless ALL entities were in agreement.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: GOD's Beginnings and Our Relationship To Reality
Pg: 331

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"The chief consolation for Nature's shortcomings in regard to man is that not even God can do all things. For he cannot, even if he should so wish, commit suicide, which is the greatest advantage he has given man among all the great drawbacks of life" -Pliny the Elder

Thoughts?
1) I don't see any reason why suicide would be impossible for God, whether by my theology or theism.

2) Please tell me your avatar is tongue in cheek!

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I'm sure any of the gods(goddess) could commit suicide. They can all die. But why would they want too?

CarlinKnew

Is your god a form of life? Does it metabolize and reproduce? If it's not alive, then it can't die. Could an all-powerful god choose to cease existing? I suppose so.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Don't know who this was addressed to, but I'll answer anyway.

Is your god a form of life?
Yes, and the cosmos is its body.

Does it metabolize
Possibly, but I would point out that your question assumes that the rules of biological life apply. I consider that assumption unfounded.

and reproduce?
Not yet, its a juvenile.

Could an all-powerful god choose to cease existing? I suppose so.
My God is not all-powerful, but I see no reason to assume that suicide is not within its capacity.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
From the Christian perspective, the answer is a definite yes. Jesus Christ basically did that in allowing himself to be crucified, and giving up his spirit long before any normal person would have died from crucifixion. He wouldn't have died until he allowed it to happen. From any religion's perspective, one basically must decide what one's definition of "omnipotence" is. To me, it means that all things are possible to whichever God/gods/goddesses you are applying the term to.

As has been said, however, what would the reason be to do such a thing? Some greater purpose, I suppose, that we can't comprehend. I really hope it doesn't happen very soon, though. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
From the Christian perspective, the answer is a definite yes. Jesus Christ basically did that in allowing himself to be crucified, and giving up his spirit long before any normal person would have died from crucifixion. He wouldn't have died until he allowed it to happen. From any religion's perspective, one basically must decide what one's definition of "omnipotence" is. To me, it means that all things are possible to whichever God/gods/goddesses you are applying the term to.

As has been said, however, what would the reason be to do such a thing? Some greater purpose, I suppose, that we can't comprehend. I really hope it doesn't happen very soon, though. :)
I don't think that really counts. The op can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm taking "suicide" to mean "voluntarily cease existing." Christ didn't cease to exist, He just allowed His vessel to die.

rojse

RF Addict
I'm sure any of the gods(goddess) could commit suicide. They can all die. But why would they want too?

I have to recommend Towing Jehovah, which actually adressed this possibility quite well in it's plot (God is found dead from unknown causes, and needs to be towed to the Artic for safe-keeping).

A possible reason for God's suicide given in the book is that God kills himself to allow us to stand up without support, and this would not be possible as long as people could have reason to believe that God existed.

logician

There is no god, so no need for suicides here. There are many god concepts, and a lot of them do not consist of an "entity" god that exists as a focus such that "suicide" is even a consideration.

I would say that if a real personal god existed that did commit suicide, everything would cease to exist.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There is no god, so no need for suicides here. There are many god concepts, and a lot of them do not consist of an "entity" god that exists as a focus such that "suicide" is even a consideration.

I would say that if a real personal god existed that did commit suicide, everything would cease to exist.
If you can't engage in a thought experiment, or do anything else but mindlessly repeat "there is no God," then please restrain yourself from irrelevant posts in threads that assume God's existance.

cardero

Citizen Mod

I would say that the existence of religion could be of a purpose to keep their God happy. To not get God upset or depressed because many believe that is exactly what could happen. This introduces another level of fear to their relationship with God and could induce someone with the sense to keep on the "righteous" path. It can also give thier life what would seem as a worthy purpose in the perspective that God requires these humans to keep Him happy.

TurkeyOnRye

How can something that is both beginning and end commit suicide? It's not that it's possible or impossible, it's that it's completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

TurkeyOnRye

In a sense, god could "commit suicide" if mankind universally mothballed the idea.

That would be a conceptual suicide, so I would agree as far as that logic goes.

But speaking in a more absolute sense, suicide isn't even possible. "I" cannot kill "I", just as an eye cannot see itself. 'I' can kill a form that 'I' have identified with, but not the true I (or self), which could be called "god", but not god that is often conceptualized as a separate, external deity with expectations and demands of humans.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
"I" cannot kill "I", just as an eye cannot see itself. 'I' can kill a form that 'I' have identified with, but not the true I (or self), which could be called "god"...
How does one determine who the "true self" is? What makes one 'self' true over another?

TurkeyOnRye

How does one determine who the "true self" is? What makes one 'self' true over another?

You can't grasp the true self because you are it. It is that which sees out of your eyes, hears out of your ears, and witnesses the words on this page. It's consciousness itself, and out of it, the world is made. The world is of you, but paradoxically, can tell you nothing about yourself that is absolutely true, only relative truths. Like the eye metaphor...an eye could never see itself without it becoming a distorted perception. If an eye could see itself, it would turn itself into a spiral and the number of ways it could perceive itself would be infinite, yet all of them ultimately subjective. To remain in objectivity, the eye would not even be perceiving itself at all, and in the context of the true self, you would not only be the one, you wouldn't know it either; that is to be completely self-realized. So for the true self to exist in the living world, it must remain in a reality that is ultimately false.

Last edited: