• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all christians!!

When someone asks you what your religion is, do you answer with Christian, or your specific church. I know some people who just say Christian, and others who say baptist, orthodox, catholic, etc. I'm wanting to know everyones personal preference.

Myself I go to a baptist church but when people ask my religion I just say Christian unless I'm specifically asked for denomination.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
When someone asks you what your religion is, do you answer with Christian, or your specific church. I know some people who just say Christian, and others who say baptist, orthodox, catholic, etc. I'm wanting to know everyones personal preference.
It depends on the situation. Most of the time I specify that I'm LDS. I wouldn't want to mislead anybody by telling them I'm a Christian. :D

Myself I go to a baptist church but when people ask my religion I just say Christian unless I'm specifically asked for denomination.
Most Baptists don't need to identify themselves as such, at least not when talking to Latter-day Saints. I can spot a Baptist about 75% of the time. A lot of the time, I can even spot a Baptist convert to Catholicism.

Bishka

Veteran Member
When someone asks you what your religion is, do you answer with Christian, or your specific church.

Usually with Latter-day Saint or with Mormon; the reason being; some LDS ideas on a little outside-the-norm for mainstream Christianity, and I would not want people to think I am a Baptist or a Catholic and then come out and say things that may give that faith a bad image. When asked in a general sense -- I am a Christian.

kadzbiz

I tend to say that I was born to non-practising Roman Catholics, but that I don't follow a particular faith myself.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
In person I merely say a servant or a disciple. I have had a few "of what?"s and that's OK. It keeps people thinking. I don't generally believe in denominations and would never, ever say that I am a part of one.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't usually specify that I belong to the Baptist Church. All Christians are Christians to me.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
I usually say Catholic so as not to confuse anyone because when most people think Christian they think Protestant Christianity. But depending on the situation I will say Christian sometimes, but rarely.

A

angellous_evangellous

If they are a hot babe I just say that I've founded a fertility cult.

Todd

Rajun Cajun

I just say Christian also. But then again, I'm a non-denominational Christian, so I wouldn't know what else to call myself other than Christian :).

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I always, and deliberately, just say Orthodox because it inevitably causes follow up questions, which means that I get to do one of my favourite things - discuss religion. Most of the time, the questions will be mistaking Orthodoxy with Judaism (simply because everyone's already familiar with Orthodox Jews) but when someone is a little more familiar, they'll ask something like 'Oh, is that like Greek Orthodox?', which gives me an opportunity to dispell some of the misconceptions regarding ethnicity and Orthodoxy. When someone is really familiar with Orthodoxy (which is unusual unless they're Orthodox themselves) they'll inevitably ask me which church I'm in, which then gives me a chance to talk about the distinctives of the Romanian church. I did used to say that I was a Romanian Orthodox Christian, but now it's just Orthodox because the more vague answer generates more interesting conversations. The only exception would be if I'm asked at hospital or the like, when they aren't interested in conversations - then I'm Romanian Orthodox or whichever other local church happens to appear on their computer system (strangely that's usually both Russian and Greek, treated as though they are two different faiths, even though they aren't).

James

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It depend who is asking and why.
If a person of obviously a different faith was asking I would usually Just say Christian, the nuances of our denominations seem to flow past them.
Most others I would say Church of England, Anglican. Anglo Catholic. High Church. even Episcopalian , (to an American ) All except the last are equally accurate, But the differences would be lost on most people.

Some people Just think in terms of Catholic or Protestant. I would not care to talk religion with such people, as it will be more about politics.

Special Revelation

I have worshipped in Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Non-denominational, numerous Baptist churches, Congregationalist, and a few Pentecostal churches over the years. I believe it is wrong to identify your particular denomination when you are asked about your religion. A particular denomination or religious institution can never save an individual sinner. The only appropriate response to the question is Christian. Christ saves the sinner and not the religious institution. After confessing to be a Christian, I think it is appropriate to identify your church affiliation to help the hearer understand your particular distinctives. For example, we have Free Will Baptist and Reformed Baptist. All are saved by Christ alone, by they disagree in their understanding on the biblical term of predestined saints.

Special Revelation

I always, and deliberately, just say Orthodox because it inevitably causes follow up questions, which means that I get to do one of my favourite things - discuss religion. Most of the time, the questions will be mistaking Orthodoxy with Judaism (simply because everyone's already familiar with Orthodox Jews) but when someone is a little more familiar, they'll ask something like 'Oh, is that like Greek Orthodox?', which gives me an opportunity to dispell some of the misconceptions regarding ethnicity and Orthodoxy. When someone is really familiar with Orthodoxy (which is unusual unless they're Orthodox themselves) they'll inevitably ask me which church I'm in, which then gives me a chance to talk about the distinctives of the Romanian church. I did used to say that I was a Romanian Orthodox Christian, but now it's just Orthodox because the more vague answer generates more interesting conversations. The only exception would be if I'm asked at hospital or the like, when they aren't interested in conversations - then I'm Romanian Orthodox or whichever other local church happens to appear on their computer system (strangely that's usually both Russian and Greek, treated as though they are two different faiths, even though they aren't).

James

Do you think all of us Christians tend to discuss too much about denominational distinctives as compared to Christ. I used to live within walking distance to a non-denominational Bible college. I knew many of the students from Bible studies in the area. The most popular bible class was called "proclaiming Christ to Christians". That says a lot to me.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Happily, in my own case, the denomination I serve is called ... Christian. So I get to kill two birds with one stone! ;)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Do you think all of us Christians tend to discuss too much about denominational distinctives as compared to Christ. I used to live within walking distance to a non-denominational Bible college. I knew many of the students from Bible studies in the area. The most popular bible class was called "proclaiming Christ to Christians". That says a lot to me.

You see, the idea of a denomination doesn't really fit with our ecclesiology, so I don't really know how to answer this one. I would say that, in general, Christians shouldn't be trying to steal sheep from other churches, if that's what you mean. Unfortunately we, especially in post-Communist Europe, are generally he target of such missions, even though we do not organise such things ourselves (I discovered the Church as a protestant missionary to Romania, for instance, so I've seen the problem from both sides).

Having said that, I do think that we have to be honest and open about our differences. There's no point in claiming 'we're all the same' when we aren't. In fact that's one of the most annoying things I ever hear from certain Roman Catholics. There's nothing that would make me happier than a reconcilliation between Rome and ourselves, but it has to be genuine and saying that we've been divided for almost a thousand years over nothing is, frankly, insulting.

The problem comes when we start judging individuals. That I would rather leave to God. That's why you'll see me defending Mormons here (even though I think their theology is terribly wrong) when they come under attack from people who say they are not Christian. In my opinion anyone seeking to sincerely follow Christ, whether in the Church or not, is His servant, however theologically mistaken they might be, and I will not cast aspertions to the contrary.

Sorry about the long winded answer. Hopefully somewhere in my ramblings is the information you were after.

James

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I say I am a Christian - sometime I say I am a born again Christian- but that is a bit silly because if you have not been born again then you are not a Christian. that's the whole point.

may

i am one of Jehovahs witnesses , and yes we are christians ,or followers of christ .Jesus christ is our leader