• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caladan's Wineries Adventure in Galilee

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Since several people have asked about traveling Israel, I decided to share my recent visit to Galilee in Northern Israel. I hope this will break the misconceptions that Israel is all about holy sites or conflicts. 2 Hours drive from my home, a new relaxing world dwells, so here is some of it. I hope this will give people indication about the various possibilities of travel and experience in Israel.

Not far from where Jesus turned water into wine, and where Dionysus the Greek god of wine was widely worshiped in the pagan past, we decided to spare a weekend dedicated to tasting Galilee's finest. Here are some impressions!

Kerem Ben Zimra.

IMG_0419_zps3ff9383f.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsb5e0e3df.jpg

At Miles winery, tasting some great whites and chilling with a hospitable vineyard owner.

IMG_0427_zpscec0674a.jpg

IMG_0433_zpsb30d0921.jpg

At Amirim, the vegan/vegetarian village we stayed at:

IMG_0434_zps18fd2231.jpg

Decisions... decisions. And also some cheese in a bag.

IMG_0435_zpsa4b6bb55.jpg

Galilean view:

IMG_0446_zpsa915a696.jpg

Dan gets serious and reads an NG article to develop some appetite:

IMG_0503_zps59957791.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
IMG_0523_zps850ef585.jpg

Maybe the pagans never left this place...

IMG_0526_zps639afa02.jpg

The village is packed with homegrown organic fruits:

IMG_0531_zpsc313a420.jpg

Sea of Galilee in view:

IMG_0540_zps0699597e.jpg

IMG_0575_zps7492901b.jpg

IMG_0578_zpse11f064a.jpg

Liqueur tasting at Ramot Hagalil!

IMG_0592_zps05664329.jpg

More liqueur!

IMG_0589_zps547b68cb.jpg

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There are over 360 wineries in Israel today. For a nation with a population numbering in a handful of millions and the size of New Jersey that is pretty impressive.

IMG_0582_zpsb2071c7a.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Great photos! I think the photos I've seen from you of Israel, Dan, are among the best I've seen by anyone.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Get thee down to the Negev and drop by Carmey Avdat. Good wine, good people, and a great place to hang out for a few days.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I cannot speak for France.

Israel is, in some ways, a micro-California and very capable of producing outstanding wines. At the same time, they have a ways to go before I'd compare the Galilee with Napa-Sonoma. Market factors play a significant role in this. A good Sonoma wine is in high demand throughout the US and Canada almost immediately and almost irrespective of the size of the producer. It is not easy for the Yardens and Gamlas of the region to compete.

But it's getting progressively better, and doing so on an almost yearly basis.
And, where else can you be at a lovely winery in the early afternoon and in Yerushalayim for dinner?​

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I like that one the best.
This is one of the main reasons I picked this lodging. I wanted a whole weekend where I can enjoy the Galilee view and enjoy the wine of my taste while munching on cheese. This really was ideal.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Jay, how do Israeli wines stack up to wines from, say, California or France?
I took my in-laws on a 2 week trip in Israel a few months ago. They are a French couple who know their wine very well. And when I visit them in Cognac, it is usually a feat of French cuisine and a variety of wines, and other French drinks. I'll just sum it up by saying that Israeli wine passed the acid test. Also I've been living with a French wife here for almost a year and a half, and we had plenty of time to try a wide range of Israeli wines, many of them are good to excellent. I think the real boom in the Israeli wine industry started in the last two decades, when people started to take wine production and consumption much more seriously.