• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a new car...anyone got an opinion on these?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hola...

So, yeah...business is paying for the car, hence it'll be a new one, and technically I won't own it. But whatever. Rough price guide is $30k (I'm in Australia, so I realise this will mean little) and I'm trying not to go too sensible, since apparently I ALWAYS go sensible (according to my wife!). That being the case, probably a hot (or at least, warm) hatch.

Car needs to fit two car seats in the back, but the kids are hardly ever in my car, and even when they are, it'd be a 2 km trip, literally (a mile or so), so I don't care if they're a little squished in...lol.

Current leader in the clubhouse is the VW Polo GTI, 5 door.

Other musings are as follows (in no particular order);

Renault RS200 (not released until Dec)
Peugeot 208 GTi
Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Ford Fiesta ST
Holden Cruze Sri-V

====================================
Kinda see the fors and against as follows;

Polo -
Quick, and fun to drive. 5 doors are useful. Good build quality.
Some engine and transmission issues. Less well-equipped than some. Expensive servicing, and takes 98 RON fuel only.

208 GTi - Nice interior. Like, really nice. Good performance.
3 door, so awkward for the girls.

RS200 - 5 doors, funky interior, good performance.
Might be hard to get hold of one in the timeframe I'm working to, and almost impossible to test drive, so I'd be jumping in blind.

Veloster - the single back door would actually help with the kids (over a 3 door). Funky and modern. I don't care about the brand factor too much, Korean cars are much improved in quality.
Undecided if I'd feel girly in it. And yes, I realise how weird that is given the cars I'm looking at. Bit more expensive than the others listed.

Fiesta ST - Very good reviews, both for performance and build quality. Value for money.
3 door, so awkward for the girls. Not sold on the interior. I think there are some supply issues, but not sure.

Holden Cruze Sri-V - Good value. More mid-sized than small, so much more room. Turbo still gives some performance, even though it's by far the least performance car of this bunch.
Seems like a compromise choice when I am in that rare place of actually NOT having to compromise (apart from on price...lol)

=========================================

I'll be stunned if I get even 1 response to this, but anyone got an opinion, or driven any of these (current models)??

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow, new car on the company!
I'm biased towards VW and Ford. VW because German cars are usually pretty good, and Fords are decent and typically not too hard to work on (although the most recent one I have seen under the hood was an '04 Focus, so they may not be that easy anymore).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, new car on the company!
I'm biased towards VW and Ford. VW because German cars are usually pretty good, and Fords are decent and typically not too hard to work on (although the most recent one I have seen under the hood was an '04 Focus, so they may not be that easy anymore).

Well, it's my company, so...just kinda shuffling the money out of a different pocket.
The Ford is actually built in Germany, whilst the VW is not. How's THAT for confusing!?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Do they sell the 2014 Kia Forte Koup SX in Australia?

Om Namah Sivaya

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Hola...

So, yeah...business is paying for the car, hence it'll be a new one, and technically I won't own it. But whatever. Rough price guide is $30k (I'm in Australia, so I realise this will mean little) and I'm trying not to go too sensible, since apparently I ALWAYS go sensible (according to my wife!). That being the case, probably a hot (or at least, warm) hatch.

Car needs to fit two car seats in the back, but the kids are hardly ever in my car, and even when they are, it'd be a 2 km trip, literally (a mile or so), so I don't care if they're a little squished in...lol.

Current leader in the clubhouse is the VW Polo GTI, 5 door.

Other musings are as follows (in no particular order);

Renault RS200 (not released until Dec)
Peugeot 208 GTi
Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Ford Fiesta ST
Holden Cruze Sri-V

====================================
Kinda see the fors and against as follows;

Polo -
Quick, and fun to drive. 5 doors are useful. Good build quality.
Some engine and transmission issues. Less well-equipped than some. Expensive servicing, and takes 98 RON fuel only.

208 GTi - Nice interior. Like, really nice. Good performance.
3 door, so awkward for the girls.

RS200 - 5 doors, funky interior, good performance.
Might be hard to get hold of one in the timeframe I'm working to, and almost impossible to test drive, so I'd be jumping in blind.

Veloster - the single back door would actually help with the kids (over a 3 door). Funky and modern. I don't care about the brand factor too much, Korean cars are much improved in quality.
Undecided if I'd feel girly in it. And yes, I realise how weird that is given the cars I'm looking at. Bit more expensive than the others listed.

Fiesta ST - Very good reviews, both for performance and build quality. Value for money.
3 door, so awkward for the girls. Not sold on the interior. I think there are some supply issues, but not sure.

Holden Cruze Sri-V - Good value. More mid-sized than small, so much more room. Turbo still gives some performance, even though it's by far the least performance car of this bunch.
Seems like a compromise choice when I am in that rare place of actually NOT having to compromise (apart from on price...lol)

=========================================

I'll be stunned if I get even 1 response to this, but anyone got an opinion, or driven any of these (current models)??

Well as a fellow Aussie, I don't think you can go past the Holden mate!

My kids love HSV's. Daughter drives a V8, son would love to drive a V8 but can't afford one just now. LOL

Personally, I drive a Toyota Rav4 and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Love it!
What are you driving now?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Funnily enough, given the last 2 questions, my current Car is a Honda Accord Euro. Good car, but I'm pretty set on getting something fast and fun. I'm in that rare window where I dont have to be sensible (for once!)

30K budget (roughly) and looking for new points me to the cars above. HSVs are too expensive, and the only Honda that would be close would be a Type R Civic, which I don't think are being sold here anymore.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to close the loop, I've ordered a battleship grey Hyundai Veloster Turbo (manual) which should be at my house in the next week.
Looking forward to it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I've seen awesome reviews on the Ford Fiesta and though I haven't driven one, myself - I love, love, the Ford Focus and would buy one or something comparable now, if I could. We have several at work that I've taken on trips and I was very pleased. I've also rented a Focus and drove it to long distance. Great road cars.

I have a Hyundai Sonata. My sister has a Hyundai Elantra. Hyundais are reliable cars and are typically good on gas mileage. Not sure about price and availability in your country, but, her Elantra is a four door, excellent on gas mileage and is a lovely litle car. Overall a great ride for the money. It's a cute car, too.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My current car is a Subaru Impreza (the body style before the current one) and I think it's awesome... though it's a bit larger than the ones you listed.

Of the cars you mentioned, the Fiesta ST piques my interest the most, but that's knowing nothing about the relative prices of those cars in Australia.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My current car is a Subaru Impreza (the body style before the current one) and I think it's awesome... though it's a bit larger than the ones you listed.

Of the cars you mentioned, the Fiesta ST piques my interest the most, but that's knowing nothing about the relative prices of those cars in Australia.

The Fiesta had great writeups and good pricing by Oz standards. A bit smaller than ideal for me, and I found the Ford dashboards a little busy.