• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush's budget proposals

Pah

Uber all member
From the New York Times - registration required

Budget documents include these domestic proposals:

¶The budget for training nurses, dentists and other health professionals would be cut 64 percent, to $160.5 million in 2006. The president would cut $100 million, or 33 percent, from a $301 million program that trains doctors at children's hospitals.

¶Mr. Bush seeks a $38 million increase in programs promoting sexual abstinence, which would bring the total to $192.5 million in 2006, an increase of more than 50 percent since 2004.

¶The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance program, which helps people pay their heating bills, would be cut 8.4 percent, to $2 billion. High prices for home heating oil make this a particularly contentious proposal.

¶The Centers for Disease Control would receive $306 million, a 4.2 percent increase, for global health activities, including work on AIDS.

¶Mr. Bush requests $120 million to deal with the threat of a global flu epidemic. That represents an increase of 21 percent.

The budget would also eliminate a $9 million program for the treatment of people with traumatic brain injury and a $9.9 million program to collect stem cells from blood found in the umbilical cord after childbirth. Scientists say such cells may prove useful in the treatment of many diseases, and do not raise the ethical issues involved in taking stem cells from human embryos.

Other budget news at the reference

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As someone who has been helped by the Home Energy Assistance program, I worry for those who are still in dire straits.

desi

robtex said:
you gotta love his war budget.....what a psychopath
We can either pay Marines to shoot the nut jobs over there or we can let them come here where they steal our planes and crash them into our big buildings filled with our people. I'd call the latter more psychopathic.

Pah

Uber all member
desi said:
We can either pay Marines to shoot the nut jobs over there or we can let them come here where they steal our planes and crash them into our big buildings filled with our people. I'd call the latter more psychopathic.
:biglaugh: I'm sure those are the only two choices :biglaugh:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mr. Bush seeks a $38 million increase in programs promoting sexual abstinence, which would bring the total to $192.5 million in 2006, an increase of more than 50 percent since 2004.
The mere fact that abstinence only sexuality education does not work should not prevent us from increasing the budget for it by 50%. It is far more important to maintain a high level of hysteria about human sexuality than it is to find some programs that work to reduce teenage pregnancy, abortion, and sexually transmitted diseases. Only with abstinence only sexuality education can we continue to lead the Western World in all major categories of sexual problems. Keep us a leader! Double the budget for this fantasy program!

desi

Sunstone said:
The mere fact that abstinence only sexuality education does not work should not prevent us from increasing the budget for it by 50%. It is far more important to maintain a high level of hysteria about human sexuality than it is to find some programs that work to reduce teenage pregnancy, abortion, and sexually transmitted diseases. Only with abstinence only sexuality education can we continue to lead the Western World in all major categories of sexual problems. Keep us a leader! Double the budget for this fantasy program!
The fact that abstinence is the only thing proven to prevent VD and pregnancy makes all other approaches obsolete. We also know abstinence used to work, so we know it can again.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We also know abstinence used to work, so we know it can again.
There is no evidence whatsoever that abstinence has ever worked. The notion that it once did "back in the good old days" is as creditable as an urban legend. Abstinence sounds good. That's its only strength.

desi

Sunstone said:
There is no evidence whatsoever that abstinence has ever worked. The notion that it once did "back in the good old days" is as creditable as an urban legend. Abstinence sounds good. That's its only strength.
Sure we do. All we have to do is look at the pregnancy rates of unwed mothers to see abstinence works more than 'safe sex'. If you please we can also look at VD rates now compared to before 'safe sex' was taught to see the increase there. Furthermore, the only country in Africa to make a dent in AIDS has done so via abstinence/monogamy education. Check the numbers. Its not popular, may not get you many frubals, but its the way to go if you are serious about preventing VD and unplanned pregnancy.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
desi said:
We can let the Marines come here and steal our planes and crash them into our big buildings filled with people?!

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this is a good plan.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
desi said:
Sure we do. All we have to do is look at the pregnancy rates of unwed mothers to see abstinence works more than 'safe sex'. If you please we can also look at VD rates now compared to before 'safe sex' was taught to see the increase there. Furthermore, the only country in Africa to make a dent in AIDS has done so via abstinence/monogamy education. Check the numbers. Its not popular, may not get you many frubals, but its the way to go if you are serious about preventing VD and unplanned pregnancy.
VD rates actually decreased in this country during the 90's when safe sex was taught. Second, are you talking about Uganda's ABC program? Third, have you looked at the most recent data on that program? Lastly, if you are serious about preventing STDs and unwanted pregnancy, you would ditch abstinence only education as fast as the statistics showing it doesn't work come in -- which is pretty fast.

Reactions: Pah

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Desi, this is the second personal attack you have made against me in this week. The last one was as a reply to hugging you. This one is as a rebuke to a play on language. (Look over the paragraph you'd posted and hopefully you'll see what I mean.)

I have never ingested an illegal substance. I enjoy English and had hoped that you would appreciate the joke.

I'm honestly confused as to if I have offended you in the past, or if you just don't like me.

Pah

Uber all member
Desi,

We don't confuse a free and happy spirit with drug usage but we are confused by some Christians application of the second commandment from Jesus.

PS. You absurd statements did make the email notification in spite of the just removel by Sunstone.

desi

Back to the topic at hand. Bush must be crazy to be spending so much on the budget. Two point whatever trillion dollars!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Sunstone said:
VD rates actually decreased in this country during the 90's when safe sex was taught. Second, are you talking about Uganda's ABC program? Third, have you looked at the most recent data on that program? Lastly, if you are serious about preventing STDs and unwanted pregnancy, you would ditch abstinence only education as fast as the statistics showing it doesn't work come in -- which is pretty fast.
Also another fun fact...during the time when pilgrims, you know the Puritans, were first colonizing New England, the majority of young women who got married were about 3 months pregnant on their wedding day because they gave birth some 6-7 months later.

TranceAm

desi said:
You don't seem to have any better ideas.
Oh, there are much better ideas out there, but they don't stroke well with the reality that benefits the most.

The question most seen on bumper stickers is WWJD?
The question you never see is. WWJND?
Why would that be? ;)