• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Bashed By Former President, Reverend At Funeral

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Democrats have no class. Anyone remember the Wellstone funeral? Just shake your head, pity them, and keep on trucking.

Popeyesays

"Do you know why Germany didn't attack the U.S. mainland? It's because he was scared because EVERYONE has guns. What if someone killed someone esle w/ a butter knife? "

Germany did not have troops ships, landing barges, a navy to get through the North Sea against the British navy, nor did they have aircraft that could operate over the distance involved. I doubt that Germany who took on Soviet partisans and French partisans and Norwegian partisans would have balked at American partisans.

An invasion of ENGLAND was logistically impossible for the Germans, how were they supposed to pull off an invasion of North America???????????????????????????

Regards,
Scott

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I must say, I don't know if Mrs. King would have approved or disapproved of having such statements made at her funeral, having never met her. I would hope that, at my own funeral, I would have better things to be celebrating and learning than who said what to whom.

Perhaps, though, this whole thing is indicative of what some Americans are worried about- that the President is, perhaps, not hearing the pleas and opinions of those who disagree with what is currently happening with his administration and the way it effects those people.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I can't believe that there are people out there who are okay with this. I would have hoped that such an event would have been used to review the life and accomplishments of the is great woman. Instead, it turned into an opportunity for political pundits to throw insults at the president, who was man enough to take it, and then shake the persons hand who said it. It was right for him to be there to remember her, regardless of what some of you radicals think. IT is what a president is supposed to do, and good for him. His comments were what memorials are supposed to be for; recalling the struggle and fight that she so proudly carried on after the murder of her husband. He could have very easily chosen to respond to these politically based attacks against him, but instead he was the bigger man and recalled who she was. You people who think that what these men did were in the right are blinded by your hatred and feelings, to the reality of truth and kindness. You idea of truth is simply that, opinion. Opinion has no place in a ulogy.

mr.guy

crapsack
buddy said:
An I the only one who sees the obvious hypocracy in this?
Nope, i agree. I'm sure we'll also agree on how inappropriate it is to bring "god" into such ceremonies as well.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
mr.guy said:
Nope, i agree. I'm sure we'll also agree on how inappropriate it is to bring "god" into such ceremonies as well.
If the person being remembered believed in God, then why would it be inappropriate to mention Him in the ceremony? I think that you are trying to make a relation that does not exist.

Smoke

Done here.
BUDDY said:
If the person being remembered believed in God, then why would it be inappropriate to mention Him in the ceremony? I think that you are trying to make a relation that does not exist.
And if the person being remembered believed in peace and justice? If she spoke out forcefully against capital punishment, against the war in Iraq, and in favor of non-violence and equal rights for all people, isn't it just as appropriate to mention those things? Or should the person's beliefs and convictions only be mentioned when they're the same as yours?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Since my previous post was totally deleted, I will try to restate my point in a way that will not be deleted.:sarcastic

Some one mentioned that a poster was "not a very smart person" for making remarks that are their own personal opinion. In reference to the incident which is the subject of this thread, how can one be categorized in this way when they are stating their own personal opinion, when these gentlemen at the funeral did the exact same thing. Is it not hypocrital to do so? It appears that some are swayed more by the subject matter of the opinion given, than my any real simblance of truth within the message. What I am saying is, that it is hypocrital to call someone names for stating their opinion, when you are good and ready to accept as truth the opinion of these men at the funeral.

Smoke

Done here.
BUDDY said:
Some one mentioned that a poster was "not a very smart person" for making remarks that are their own personal opinion. In reference to the incident which is the subject of this thread, how can one be categorized in this way when they are stating their own personal opinion, when these gentlemen at the funeral did the exact same thing. Is it not hypocrital to do so? It appears that some are swayed more by the subject matter of the opinion given, than my any real simblance of truth within the message. What I am saying is, that it is hypocrital to call someone names for stating their opinion, when you are good and ready to accept as truth the opinion of these men at the funeral.
The person in question did not merely state his opinion about the issues; he wrote a vicious and obviously untrue attack on liberals that included the assertion, "You obviously want terrorists to run down our streets killing us." And while my comment about his intelligence (which was conditional on his really believing that) has been deleted, his initial attack, which was certainly at least as inflammatory, has been allowed to stand. So what's your beef?

greatcalgarian

If you do not take it that the speech is Bush bashing, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, be it have political content, religious content, and what not.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
mr.guy said:
Ahh...our problem is your understanding of what is hypocritical.
Mr. Guy,

Do you have anything more constructive to offer than what appears to be your failed attempt at wit? If so, please share. If not, please stop wasting valuable space for comments that add nothing to the discussion at hand. And yes, I do know what it means to be hypocritical, and I do believe the aforementioned to be so.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
MidnightBlue said:
The person in question did not merely state his opinion about the issues; he wrote a vicious and obviously untrue attack on liberals that included the assertion, "You obviously want terrorists to run down our streets killing us." And while my comment about his intelligence (which was conditional on his really believing that) has been deleted, his initial attack, which was certainly at least as inflammatory, has been allowed to stand. So what's your beef?
No, you called him incompetent because you disagreed with his statement. Personally, I do too, but that is not the point. If Bush had gotten up after hearing all those things said about him, and stated that those people were incompatent (or even used your term) what do you think the headlines this morning would have been. My only point is that freedom of speech is free and people can say just about whatever they want, whenever they want. However, that does not mean that calling someone to task on their decisions, publicly for all to hear, at a funeral for someone else, is right. It also doesn't mean that calling someone a dumb*** because they stated their opinion, is not hypocritical considering the subject of this thread. If you feel that you have been the victim of vicious and untrue attacks, and you feel that you have to call names because of it, fine. As for me, I will use President Bush and Mrs. King as an example the next time someone attacks me. Just shake their hand, smile and walk away.

Later.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
BUDDY said:
His comments were what memorials are supposed to be for; recalling the struggle and fight that she so proudly carried on after the murder of her husband. He could have very easily chosen to respond to these politically based attacks against him, but instead he was the bigger man and recalled who she was.
If he had chosen to disregard what would have been a carefully prepared and well rehearsed speech in favour of coming out swinging verbal punches, all he would have done was confirmed the opinions of the people who already think he's a complete half wit. And can you imagine the media coverage of that...'Bush Turns King Funeral Into Political Debate.'
One assumes the reverend knew her reasonably well, and under the circumstances would probably not go about turning the funeral of a friend into the opportunity to have a dig at the president if she wouldn't have approved of him doing it. For all anyone knows, he could have been worded up well in advance by the lady herself. Not like she died all of a sudden during her daily jog round the block.

Ardent Listener

CaptainXeroid said:
A funeral/memorial service is for speaking well of the dearly departed. Anyone who would politicize such an event has ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS.:tsk: Shame on those who did! :tsk:
Frubals to you as soon as I can!

greatcalgarian

Quoth_The _Raven said:
If he had chosen to disregard what would have been a carefully prepared and well rehearsed speech in favour of coming out swinging verbal punches, all he would have done was confirmed the opinions of the people who already think he's a complete half wit. And can you imagine the media coverage of that...'Bush Turns King Funeral Into Political Debate.'
One assumes the reverend knew her reasonably well, and under the circumstances would probably not go about turning the funeral of a friend into the opportunity to have a dig at the president if she wouldn't have approved of him doing it. For all anyone knows, he could have been worded up well in advance by the lady herself. Not like she died all of a sudden during her daily jog round the block.
I am confused. You mean the lady forsaw her own death, and dicussed with the reverend what to day on the orbitrary???

Ardent Listener

Darkdale said:
Democrats have no class. Anyone remember the Wellstone funeral? Just shake your head, pity them, and keep on trucking.
As a Democrat, all I can say is I apologize for those of us who still maintain some sense of dignity.